Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure User Settings Win2kPro

Options
  • 16-05-2003 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

User Settings Win2kPro

I am looking for guides/ advise on setting up a new user account that will be used by other family members to use the computer and the internet, used on the local computer.

Having tried this before in the past and vowing never to let them near my beautiful PC ever again I'm

giving it one more go. (that was with win98)

I want to be a real tight ass on this and this is what I'm looking for:

1) Limited Ability to install anything that will feck the computer, registry stuff etc'

2) Have their own space on a drive say a folder c:\User and not being able to view/change anything

outside that folder.

I have been reading the microsoft help files and well, they arn't very helpful. From what I've read so

far most of the things they talk about you need to have the NTFS file system in place. I'm using FAT32 as

I had other OS on different partitions.

I'm using Windows 2000 Professional w/service pack 3, running on a 80gb seagate Fat32 formatted drive

with 5 Partitions.

Ideally I would like to be able to have them just having their own space that they can edit and use but

that does not affect anything else, and then to have read only for some select folders on other partitions eg. using paintshop from e:\PSP but not being able to change anything.

Thanks in advance for any help, gone googling for the same.

Gid. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Converting the drive to NTFS is a must for a start. It's far too much hassle any other way as you'll be using 3rd party apps all the way.

IIRC the command is convert <drive letter>: /fs:ntfs
    After that just making a normal user account for them should do the trick.

(can't remember - from the POV of security, does it still make a difference if the conversion is done after the install? Used to on NT4)

The family machine at my father's place has one account for everyone's use and an admin account that only I and one of my brothers has access to. The machine logs on to the normal account by default (no password) - we log off and log on as admin whenever we want to use it.

My current laptop setup is a treble boot of XP, 9x and red hat 8. For sheer simplicity sake I've a small 1GB partition that I use for transferring data between the OSs. There are other ways of course (NTFS4DOS etc) but I like to keep it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

in order for you to put permissions on folders and stuff to stop them changing stuff you will need to convert to ntfs you can do this in command promt by typing

convert c: /fs:nfts

to stop installing programs and such just set them up as guest accounts or user accounts
    this will stop them from doing pretty much every thing if this stop s them to much just make up a new group and add them to it you can change what they can do exactly in administrators tools \
    Local Security Policy but be very carefull in here don't change any of the adminsitrators settings or you could **** the whole pc up

Advertisement