Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Arcade Games

• 16-05-2003 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is a bit of a cheap plug, but i'm making a website containing reviews for old arcade games, especially less well known ones. If anyone wants to write reviews or even suggest games, come to the forum at http://pub16.ezboard.com/bmameiac
    Also if you want to discuss/argue about old games, come there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

Sorry, just had to mention Double Dragon here, I spent many a day in the summers gone, kicking the crap out of meanies on the streets of whatever city it was based in. I think I finished it once on only two 10ps used.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Some old and newer fav's
    killer Instinct
    SF2 Champ edition
    MK2
    Mercs
    Ghouls n Ghosts
    Aliens
    Hammering Harry
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Pacland
    arkanoid
    The New Zealand Story
    Spy Hunter
    Rampage
    Snow Bros
    Rainbow Islands
    Bubble Bobble.

And So many more.....Thank God For Raine and MAME:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

The very first time I played an arcade game was when I was on holiday in Ballybunion in 1984. It was a game called "Gorf" (http://www.klov.com/G/Gorf.html) and was a typical-of-the-time "Space Invaders" clone. What I thought was really cool about this game was that it actually "talked" to you (synthesized speech, of course!) and would even taunt you.

Some other arcade classics that I feel deserve a mention are:

Operation Wolf - standing on my tippy-toes so I could reach up to use that cool Uzi!

The Empire Strikes Back (sitdown version, not the stand-up cabinet version - cool vector graphics and an airplane-style yoke.

Afterburner - only ever played the standard sitdown version but I would have killed to have had a go on the one where you were strapped in and the thing actually turned upside down. I might have been sick on it but I would have loved to have had a go on it! :D

Pole Position - 'nuff said!

Defender - 'nuff said.

More later as I can remember them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I lost a large chunk of my life to STUN Runner in the arcades back in the day...

I lost even greater chunks of money on Final Fight and Puzzle Bobble though.

Oh and does anyone remember a fairly old arcade game based on D&D, it was basically a scrolling beat'emup with magic and swords. Used to be in Funworld in Galway when it first opened, I went in there one day and played nothing else. Finished it too. Classy. Although I had to pay for six hours of time in there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Sarky
    Oh and does anyone remember a fairly old arcade game based on D&D, it was basically a scrolling beat'emup with magic and swords. Used to be in Funworld in Galway when it first opened, I went in there one day and played nothing else. Finished it too. Classy. Although I had to pay for six hours of time in there...
    Don't know much about D+D but perhaps you are refering to Gauntlet?

Capcom released two D&D games on their CPS2 Arcade system.
    Dungeons & Dragons : Shadow over Mystara
    Dungeons & Dragons : Tower of Doom

Other games in a similar vein from Capcom include using CPS1...
    The king Of Dragons
    Magic Sword - Heroic fantasy
    Willow;)

Needless to say Capcom were the Lord and Masters of the Scrolling beat'em'ups in the Arcades during the early-mid 90's

Final Fight (sequals also)
    The Punisher
    Warriors of Fate
    Knights of the Round
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
    Battle Ciruit
    Armoured Warriors
    Alien Vs predator
    Captain Commando
    Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness
    Dynasty Wars

Luckily for you you can play these games on your PC using MAME,FBA,Nebula, or any other CPS2&CPS1 emulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Loved that Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
    Also Final Fight and Double Dragon.

I remember the first Space Invaders and Pong especially the sit down table style cabinets.

Lunar lander

Loved Pac Man and dig dug

Joust and defender,the arcade version of missile command was rock hard

Wasted mammys gas meter money for the week on Guantlet,Boy did i get a hiding for that one

Chase HQ and Outrun with the force feedback and choice of stereo music

Operation wolf and tapper

Streetfighter 2

WWF Royal Rumble Doom were the evilist leet

Gridiron was brilliant Upwads scrolling American football game,got pretty good at that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Many's the old 10p I slotted into the gauntlet machine in the airconditioned on Eden quay. There used to nearly be fights in the queue to get at it. Happy days :-)
    "Warrior needs food, badly"

R-Type was also class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Swiss Tony

does anyone remember wardener?? i know that little puppy wasnt as popular as bobble bobble and wonderboy (what is the secret of your powers??) but they had it in the summer of 95, little geezer wandering around a forest and castle and other wibbly wobbly wonderous places. i spend my entire summer playing it until i finished it one fine August morn, never before or since finished a video game, brings a tear to the eye just thinking about it!

• Advertisement

Wardner is emulated by MAME;) I remember playing a megadrive port of this game way back in the day:) Think Alex Kid folks....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Ah the good old days when game-play was more important then graphics where have they gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

splatterhouse- sweet gore

shinobi- truly skilful

tumblepop-odd idea

nemesis and its sequels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Nemesis. I'd forgotten nemesis! That was an amazing game must go and see if I can get a copy for Mame. All those powerups!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

almost forgot the best ever! atari tetris

golden axe 3 player
    black tiger
    ghost n goblins ghouls n ghosts
    cabal

Sunset Cowboys.

The mexican's poncho was pink. Pink! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The site's now changed. It covers all formats as well as emulation. Check it out. We're looking for new members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Originally posted by MrBigglesworth
    Sorry, just had to mention Double Dragon here, I spent many a day in the summers gone, kicking the crap out of meanies on the streets of whatever city it was based in. I think I finished it once on only two 10ps used.

Double Dragon was the first thing that sprung to mind. When i was a kid, i used to play it in this mobile village in Wexford on the coast. That game kicks ass. hee hee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Originally posted by MarVeL
    Nemesis. I'd forgotten nemesis! That was an amazing game must go and see if I can get a copy for Mame. All those powerups!

Don't you mean Gradius????? I think Nemesis followed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Super Sprint!
    I remember playing that for hours on Bray seafront, bring in a quid, get ten 10p pieces and spin that wheel

Other great ones were Cabal, greatest powerups ever, and Golden Axe was sweet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone remember 'winner stays on' matches of Street Fighter 2. They were something else. I used to spend an unholy amount of dosh on arcade machines. If I really liked the game would 'credit feed' it with about 20 pounds and play it til I beat it.

Advertisement