Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless BB

Options
  • 17-05-2003 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Ive been reading a lot of bad stories about gaming with IBB but havent heard much about other wisp.
    Has anyone used amocom in Cork and if so whats it like for gaming?
    The prices look pretty awful compared to the others but 512 up and down would seem to be pretty good even though it is about 90 a month.

Anybody know where the transmitter is? I looked at the coverage map and it looks like im covered but not too sure.

I dont have a clue about wireless so if anybody could fill me in on the whole line of sight thing (what would break that would it have to be a 5 story building or what?) Id be very grateful.:ninja: :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

ive being in contact with them - their newest transmitter is at the NSC (National Software Centre) in Mahon - they should
    have a live station there within a month.

Little Island is on their agenda
    Glountaine is on their agenda

"As you will see from the web site, service is based on number of users. We
    do not want to go down the road of setting a limit and charging beyond same.
    That said, there needs to be some mechanism in place to ensure that there is
    adequate quality of service for all users in a particular package. So in
    summary, we try to avoid setting hard limits, but reserve the right to
    highlight excessive usage and suggesting moving to the next level of service
    if necessary. In general, we find that customers accept this approach and so
    far it has not been an issue for us."

thats their cap rules - which i think is fair enough and very reasonable

contention ratios are 20:1 which isnt great but this is wireless so its not that bad

im gonna follow up when their NSC station goes live and see where it leads me - id have LOS to little island or glountaine - so after NSC they said they would really like to set up out there and are looking for sites atm

Chowley, ud have to be able to see the transmitter or have very good LOS to it - tree's and specifically wet leaves cause havoc with the signals so no major objects or structures should be blocking you or it could make it very difficult to get connected

this is my only hope of BB for around a year, so im very thankful they have set up here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

So basically if your house is surrounded by trees your screwed?
    Will they be in glanmire or between Blackpool Blarney regions any time soon.
    Friends of mine are also dying to get broadband.

What do you think is the better option waitin a month or 2 for eircom or whatever length of time for BT and Netsource or go wireless? Id mainly use it for gaming CS of course but download a bit above average.

Is wireless available in England at all everyone I talk to on CS servers seem to be on NTL 612k service and a few on adsl anyone ive talked has never even heard of wireless.

Thanks for the help much appreciated.I reallly have no clue about BB and jolt 56k CS servers are driving me insane.
    :ninja:

its NTL 600k

i doubt ur exchange will be upgraded when eircom say it will be upgraded, wireless should be ok for gaming - depends if leachers live near u

whichever is avail to u first if go for it - yeah if ur surrounded by trees that go over ur roof level ur screwed - ud have to email them to see if they will be near u anytime soon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Chowley
    So basically if your house is surrounded by trees your screwed?
    Will they be in glanmire or between Blackpool Blarney regions any time soon.
    Friends of mine are also dying to get broadband.

It would be cool if they did a deal with the Army and put an antenna up on the Army barraks, it overlooks much of the northside.

Is wireless available in England at all everyone I talk to on CS servers seem to be on NTL 612k service and a few on adsl anyone ive talked has never even heard of wireless.

Well there is already wide availability of both cable and DSL throughout England and lots of competition between them, so there isn't really a need or a market for wireless. However I do believe there are products available for people living in rural areas who can't get the above.

Wireless is only really being pushed in Ireland because NTL never widely rolled out their network and therefore never put pressure on Eircom, so wireless is the only alternative.

For me 2.4Ghz wireless seems a bit unstable and we are really pushing the limits of the technology in the way it is being used in Ireland for WANs.

It requires line of sight, trees/buildings and weather interefere with it and it operates at the same frequency as many consumer electronic devices like Microwave ovens and portable phones (more interference).

It would be much better if we had 5GHz wireless, much more stable. Any news on Chorus getting its license pulled Muck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by bk

It would be much better if we had 5GHz wireless, much more stable. Any news on Chorus getting its license pulled Muck?

leap use 5.something for most (all?) of their
    base stations. I'm on it, and it's hugely more
    stable than the 2.4 gig stuff I was on with another
    provider.

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by bk

Bit OT now bk , hope Chowley is still interested.

The licence is to be pulled for the 3.5Ghz band on the 15/06/03 except that I hear that Chorus may keep it in Cork and Limerick. Everywhere else goes back for reallocation. There are providers looking for it in Dublin I hear :D Chorus did a national land grab on this band as did Eircom . Eircom should have their licence removed as well. Chorus never had a licence in the 5Ghz band, only 2.5Ghz (MMDS) and 3.5Ghz . The MMDS licence is safe although Chorus have an interesting problem with the 2.5Ghz signal in Cork .......it involves a "Beam Bender" .......allegedly!

There are 2 discrete chunks in the 5Ghz band.

a) the 802.11(g) or is it (a) aka the Hiperlan band, around 5.4Ghz, no licence needed but restricted output.

b) The 5.8Ghz band with the 'chilled out licencing' . You register the base station with Comreg but they will only intervene if there is interference between base stations in a locality. If the locals can sort it out you can welly away with it. the 5.8Ghz band allows higher output and greater range than the 802.11 band which is restricted to 100Mw.

M

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Muck
    Bit OT now bk , hope Chowley is still interested.

Maybe, but if you look at some other threads you will see that it seems that LEAP and IBB are having very bad problems off the RTE tower.

It seems to be due to interefernce, the technology still seems to be a bit immature at the moment IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe wireless is the future and the only way around Eircom, but I believe they need to improve their QoS before they will be taken seriously.

i've been on both IBB and leap on the rte tower, though I haven't been on the IBB service for about 1 1/2 months now.

IBB seemed (in my case anyway) to be having interference problems, the first hop was the unreliable one, the rest of their network was excellant.

Leap on the otherhand don't seem to be having interference problems, the first hop is completely reliable, only varies by a milisecond or two, however NTL's routing seems to be cack. Leap claim this will change soon.

If anyone having problems on the rte tower does a traceroute, it'd be interesting to see if it's first hop (interference?) or further on (definately not interference)

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

this thread started in Cork and is now in D4

Jawzuz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

I thought Chorus did Cable.

So, the general opinion is wirelss is bad?

Amocom are expensive too compared to the others.Im bloody stumped.
    And another thing, can you order their business wireless service even if you arent using it for business?There is no way I would go for their awful residential package 250kup/250down.
    Thanks for the help by the way.

any isp would rather you ordered their business package than the residential one. It's just a name, anyone can get it.

Advertisement