Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to next? for IOFFL!..

Options
  • 17-05-2003 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Now that IOFFL has proved that it is a very effective pressure group in relation to its stated aims and objectives.

It would in my opinion be a pity to see the talent and dedication of a really established and well respected pressure group simply vanish after it has achieved its objectives!.

Anyone agree that it should carry on and develop, even under a different name to try and improve the ordinary citizens quality of life, in all respects - Health, Housing, Pollution, Anti- corruption etc, etc.

Any suggestions!..

Paddy20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

in my opinion theres still to much to do for irelandoffline to simply walk away now

it its current form this pressure group has not even begun to reach its goals

Friaco is being rolled out, true, but we have to wait until the pricing is announced to see if its going to be at a competitive cost or not

Not to mention the broadband fiasco, so no irelandoffline has a long way to go before it finally shuts its doors, gives itself a pat on the back and walks off into the sunset knowing that it was a job well done

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

aye wait until the announcements, still a lot to be done tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Paddy20
    [B - Health, Housing, Pollution, Anti- corruption etc, etc.

Any suggestions!..

Paddy20 [/B]
    Join or start a political party, Paddy. People in ioffl would have varying opinions regarding housing policy (eg spatial strategy vs one off housing), pollution (should people be charged for waste collection? etc) + so on.

jd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Originally posted by shinzon
    in my opinion theres still to much to do for irelandoffline to simply walk away now

Shin

Though we have seen great advances this year...

Considering the objectives: "affordable flat rate and broadband" are still a long way off - I see no need for IOFFL to slow down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fixed rate has not arrived yet.

Affordable Broadband is still not here yet from the telco's - and that is just comparing the price to othe BB suppliers in this country - never mind what they are getting in US / Japan.

And anyway it is not much of a target - campaning for what everyone else used to have. For any of the e-hub retoric to be valid we need to be at the forefront...

And then there is the whole BB in remote / rural areas thing (ie. much of Dublin as far as I can tell)

Unfortunately I reckon most of the price cuts on DLS have come about because of the increase in other suppliers in the big cities. I suspect that if they were not forced to have standard prices country wide then the telco's would still be charging double price outside areas where they have competition...

RE flat rate / always on : From a technical point of view ISDN has been able to provide a slow always on connection (while allowing you to still use either channel for other purposes) since the late 1970's

RE: affordable bandwidth - the cost of GB's should reflect the cost of supplying it.
    Also download caps should be throttles - ie. the emphasis should be giving everyone a fair share relative to what they paid for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

A Lot Done. More to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What about the Battle of Balbriggan, broadband for the Brig. After so many casualties I'll never stop fighting until there is not just Broadband, but affordable broadband in the Brig.

Advertisement