Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New type CPU's, Mobos questions

• 17-05-2003 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I have been thinking of buying a few new bits for my PC ... namely a new mobo, processor and ram ... in the last day the amount of different stuff I have seen is bewildering ... but I decided to go down the Intel route and have seen on several sites that intel is soon to release 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8GHz P4's with Hyperthreading and PC800 enabled ....(they'll have a C suffix to differentiate them)

A quick search in google brought up Hardocp overclocking a retail P4 2.4c sitting on a Abit IC7 (875p) mobo ... that P4 2.4C went up to 3.3Ghz with a 1100Mhz FSB (275 quad pumped) ... thats with intel supplied cooler ...
    /me drooling all over the shop

So I thought I'd better find a motherboard to go with one of these ... that leaves either an 875p board or an 865p board ..
    MSI make a 865p board that is for sale on komplett ... but on the MSI website there is NOTHING about them, I just dont like that one bit .. (only some drivers I'm led to believe here )

All in all these chipsets are very new and are bound to have some teething problems (lots of bios upgrades I'm thinking), I think I'll wait for them to mature a bit ...

I have a couple of questions though ... apart from PAT is there any other difference between 875's and 865's? and what is it exactly that PAT does and is it worth it

Also is this ram worth it:
    115749 Corsair XMS3200LL DDR-DIMM 256MB PC3200
    32Meg x 8, CAS 2-2-2-6-T1, 400MHz In stock: 10-19 115.40 101.55
    Or would twinmos/crucial/generic CAS2.5 ram work at CAS 2 if I set it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Cant answer about the P4 question but i have the TwinMoss PC3200 CL2.5 and it is running at 210 FSB at CL2 ,2,2,6 with 2.8Volts . I haven't pushed it any more than that but i would asume it would go a lot higher at more relaxed timmings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

What a difference a few days make ;
    MSI website has their 865 boards and Intel has its "C" processors on its website as well ...
    But now I'm thinking about the Abit IC7 because of costs ...

To answer my own question above there would appear to be a lot more of a difference between the 875 and 865 chipsets than just PAT ... I'm basing this assumption on the fact that the 875 northbridge FCBGA chip has more than 1000 balls while the 865 chip has around 800 ....

Thanks for the info about the ram Babyeater .... I think I'll go for the Twinmos PC3200 CL2 stuff ... 256MB at €49.91 each

Lastly ... how does one go about changing a 9500PRO to a 9700PRO, in particular, can this be done with the ones made by Sapphire (at Komplett for 114454)??

Has anyone done this? has it made sh.ite out of their board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Thanks to a post in another thread, I looked at this site that had the following information:
    Q: What kind of card do I have to buy?
    A: You need a Radeon 9500 Non-pro (NP) 128MB on a 9700 PCB. The 9700 pcb has 2 chips of RAM on top and 2 chips on the right of the GPU (L-shaped). The new 9500 pro pcb has 4 chips all on top of the GPU in a straight line.

Q: Which brand should I buy?
    A: There's no difference in moddability between the cards. All OEMs have to use the same GPU and PCB.

Q: Will this work with a 9500 Pro card?
    A: Nope. 9500 Pro can't be turned into anything.

Q: I have a Radeon 9500 Non-pro 128MB with the new pcb layout.
    A: You will get a Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB.

Q: How can I overclock my 9500/9700?
    A: The BIOS often ships locked on OCing. In this case you need to flash it with an unlocked bios (see warp11's site). However, many confirm that the Sapphire cards come unlocked by default.
    Hmmmm ... Komplett has a Sapphire 9500 ....
    114937 Sapphire Radeon 9500 Atlantis 128MB DDR - AGP, ATI 9500, DVI, TV-Out, Retail In stock: €173.60

Worst case scenario though is that you end up with a 9500 PRO ....or a vegetable:
    Q: What is artifacting/checkerboard effect?
    A: Artifacting is when you get undesired 'dots' or patterns on screen. The theory as of now is that artifacts are caused by undocumented defects on the 9500 NP's disabled by the 9500 drivers. Worst case scenario, the unused pipelines have a possiblity of being broken, resulting crashing and not booting up. You might get a card that works flawlessly or one that doesn't. It's a gamble.

Advertisement