Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleeping Paralysis

• 17-05-2003 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi there

For years now, I get these strange nightmares (if u can call them that?) They first happened when I was in my early teens. I always remember the first time, because I was petrified. I’d wake up but I would be paralyzed. I was looking around my room, fully aware of my predicament. That first time I screamed & screamed until I felt tears coming down my face.
    I told my parents and my father also used to get it. Also some of my first cousins also have it. Im 27 now and I do still get them although not as often because I sleep on my side, because I learned that I only get them when I on my back and also over-tired.
    You could not believe how frightening they are. You wake up (you think) but then u cannot move. Sometimes I hallucinate, that there’s someone in the room. There could be someone behind the bed tapping my shoulder, but I cant move.
    Now, I’ve gotten so used to them, that when I “wake up” in it, I just close my eyes again and wake up naturally.
    I know this might sound really strange to some people, and no doubt some will laugh & make smart ass replies, but this is real for me. I’ve looked it up, and I think it might be “Sleeping Paralysis”

Anyone else with same experiences ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94936

another thread on this board about that..

night terrors they're called, I get them every now and then... but I usually get em when I am trying to fall asleep, not when I am already asleep and wake up.
    i just feel myself slipping away, and my head starts to pound.. i have to try and shake myself out of it.. i try to jerk my head around to snap myself out of it but I can't move. i'm kinda curious as to what would happen if I didn't snap myself out of it though.. but it feels so bad I'm scared to try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 alir123

when u do "wake up" you are still actually dreaming. Because once I remember knocking my bedside lamp off my locker but when I woke up it was still there.

Not to sound like the Matrix, but it like you wake up in your dreams. U are aware that you have not woken up yet...kinda freeky isn't it !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that's called lucid dreaming.. some people are able to do it at will, you suddenly realise you are in a dream and you have control over it..

it's happened to me once or twice, but not for long as I always wake up soon after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It's also the source for a lot of legends like the Sucubus. I've never had an episode but people who do report presences in the room they can't quite explain and hags or goblins pressing down on their feet or chest. There are many artistic depictions of it throughout history.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mordeth
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94936

i just feel myself slipping away, and my head starts to pound.. i have to try and shake myself out of it.. i try to jerk my head around to snap myself out of it but I can't move

I read this thread. These people are discussing nightmares (stabbing girlfriends & so forth). That's not the same as this. You do suffer (if thats the right word) from the same thing I have because you can get yourself out of it just before you get it.

My father calls them "trubilees"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

that thread is NOT about nightmares, its about night terrors, loko further down its just some ppl didnt know what a night teror was,

I been geting them since i was a kid and usually when i wake up paralized tyhe dreams had allready ended but once i woke up half way through a dream and was able to an extent to control what i was doing - it was **** all i wanted to do was to get out of the bed but in my dream i did it a thousand times and each time ended up back in the bed, then i snaped out of it...

do a google search for "night terrors" youl find loads of stuff about it !

Thanx Tusky.

I didnt read all the threads...sorry.:o

thanx m8, thats between me & u:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah i had the same thing happen to me a few times, i'd wake up and i couldn't move! fúckin' strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Mordeth
    that's called lucid dreaming.. some people are able to do it at will, you suddenly realise you are in a dream and you have control over it..

yep, i do that all the time. its not so much as having control over it, as that you actually realise you are dreaming and can actually tell yourself you are dreaming.

doesnt stop the dream mind you, but when your teeth fall out and you think 'my god!', and then you realise you were dreaming and isnt it lucky that your teeth dont really fall out, and then it happens again while oyu are dreaming but thinking you are not dreaming and your teeth fall out, but it is actually still a dream.

am i getting complicated?

anyway, you can realise you are in a dream, but as eminem says, the dream goes on be dum be dum dada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 PacO

“Sleeping Paralysis”

Taking ecstasy can also induce episodes of sleep Paralysis.
    I know people who have stopped taking for that reason alone. Doesn't happen to too many people though.

Scarier accounts I've read is of waking up being unable to move with a dark, out of focus figure suffocating you. People with severe cases of this condition have this to look forward to most times they close their eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yea WWM I know what you mean....

Only happened to me once, I woke up (didnt really i was dreaming ) and got out of bed and walked down the stairs but when i got to the bottom I sank right into the ground and then I was back in my bed again, at this point i realised ! AH im only dreaming ! so i got out of bed to get a glass fo water and went down the stairs only to see some horrible horrible sights and again sink into the ground,

I knew I was dreaming yet each time i thought i had awoken as my mind was awake...if you understand me, I then got frustrated as I couldnt actually awake and i started to panic - jumping out of bed chargen down the stairs and appearing back in bed again...it was HELL ! I then started to try and move my arms to try and wake me up and this seemed to go on for hours, ( only really fore a few minutes)

I finally awoke with a jump and i was covered in a cold sweat, really horrible experience ...
    Taking ecstasy can also induce episodes of sleep Paralysis

now THAT i didnt know :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Originally posted by PacO
    “Sleeping Paralysis”

Taking ecstasy can also induce episodes of sleep Paralysis.
    I know people who have stopped taking for that reason alone. Doesn't happen to too many people though.

Scarier accounts I've read is of waking up being unable to move with a dark, out of focus figure suffocating you. People with severe cases of this condition have this to look forward to most times they close their eyes.

Yep!! Used to get this the odd time when I was younger, i.e. a kid.

But they came back when I got older though. I feel it might’ve had something to do with taking “ahem” pills at the weekend. But I don’t think it happened as a direct side effect of the pills. I just think it was related to sleep depravation over the weekend. Staying awake for over 24 hours kinda catches up with ya!!!
    It would normally happen to me on a Monday night as I was trying to get to sleep………..kinda nodding off…….dream a bit……..dream gets nasty……wake up from dream……..not dreaming anymore………..can’t move a muscle……..get freaked………finally snap out of it……….go back to sleep……..everything fine…………………

But all the confessions aside, it’s not a pleasant feeling. It can actually be quite frustrating and extremely frightening to be honest. The fact that you’re awake and not able to move is very freaky indeed!!

But remember kids, “Drugs are bad, Umkaay!!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

yeah man i get that all the time!

freaky **** and you always think theres someone there and you even try to say something and you just cant and thats when you get really scared.ww)

my mum has the wierdest sleeping disorder she can get up and be fully concious yet still be in a dream

(like one time she came downstairs in the middle of the night and started calling for a pet pig that supposedly we had and i was trying to tell her we didnt have one but she got angry with me and was ademant that the pig was outside calling to get in then she snapped out of it and realised what she was saying)

and if you think thats all shes done worse!

i always wondered if she was on anything:p

Advertisement