Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stress on start up pls help!

Options
  • 17-05-2003 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Every time i start up my machine it takes litterally about 10-15 minutes for it to stop making noise. I have sooooo much stuff in start up that i only use on occation, that i would never delete. ICQ for example, i cant find the start up ANYWHERE. MSN messenger and the likes just keep popping up and i dont want them to.

Any ideas on how i can stop this from happening? Ive tried searching the regestry for some startup stuff, but there was no luck.

Also, i have another partition on my HDD which i tried to delete and now on startup i get an option of

windows 2000
    windows setup

Now, ive opened the boot.ini and there is nothing in there that has 'windows setup' in it :/

Any help would be welcome

reD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Thats my boot.ini (duh)...

When i boot it seems to go into start up if im not there to tell it to do otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try Startup CPL it lets u remove and edit the progs that at startup

well ur second problem go to Control Panel, System Properties then under the Advanced Tab click Startup and Recovery, just select the right OS u have installed, it'll be Windows 2000 id imagine and disable the list of operating systems. So then u wont have to press enter, as i remember :) hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to ms apps/os. Read the hw tweaking charter, it's not there for decoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

MSN Messenger is diabled in it's own options. I assume that ICQ is the same.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there are LOTS of places where windows loads junk - for pseudo backward compatability.

Thing to try defrag/scandisk - start up in safe mode too (this bypasses some of the start up stuff)

check you startup folder and ALL users one too..

look on www.jsiinc.com in tips for something on disabling IDE channels on which there are no devices ...

temporarily disable your av program - network associates used to really slow down PC's

regclean - cos every program that loads has to look through the whold reg for it's settings...

turn off unneeded services (but make sure they are unneeded or it may never reboot)

Not giving specific detalis 'cos lazy

Check network settings - if any - many timeouts are caused by trying to (dis)connect to something that is not there

Upgrade to OSR2 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/local/msconfig.exe

you can use msconfig from another version of windows to go throught your start up setings

Advertisement