Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's Menu

Options
  • 17-05-2003 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to add a feature to a website that will allow someone to see whats on today's menu.

I want to add a list of items that we have into a database and then each morning allow someone in the shop to log on to an admin area and select what will be on the menu today from a list of everything we do so when people visit the site they will be able to see what is on the menu.

The Admins should be able to add, edit and delete the items in the list with ease because the admins aren't very computer literate.

Is there anything that can do this or can anyone point me how i could start this off.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

The best way to do it is with MySQL and PHP.

PHP is a scripting language that allows you write code to easily interface with an SQL database.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I had a look around for you Kappar, but without much success, since "menu" is such a common word in webdev terms. I can't see there being much chance of something out there with precisely your requirements though, so DBS is probably right. It's not that complex, but if you're not familiar with coding things like this, a developer should be able to throw something (simple) together for you in a day or two. This is usually the best way to start, leaving the bells and whistles for a second round of coding.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Thanks alot guys, I'm gonna look into the PHP mySQL route and see what i can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

For a small database like this, I'd use 2 cgi scripts and 1 text file.
    1 script to display the menu on your site.
    1 script to handle the add, edit and delete options.
    1 text file to store the data.

I've handled many similar projects where site owners want to update sections of their websites as easily as replying to a forum thread. Just email me for more info.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

When I get the chance I am going to try and implement something like this but instead of on a website, it will be using a web-like interface and the menu will be generated for print (on an intranet).
    This will mean less savvy people will be able to generate menus without worrying about layout and design.

I think you will need a database with selections coming from categories... I don’t think you would really need to worry too much about deletions - my thinking is to have choices sorted by 'uses' - kind of like views if you like - that way the common menu items will be prominent but the more unusual ones will still be accessible.

Basically I want a list of existing choices, an ability to input a new menu item and assign it to its category and then when selections are made, a preview will be generated on-the-fly.

It shouldn’t be too difficult – it will be a lot like websites that allow you to customise your own layout…. Yeah I want breaking news displayed here, no I don’t want horoscopes, yes I do want sport etc…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Kappar, here's a bare-bones example of a cgi driven menu that can be simply updated by anyone.
    You can select from existing courses or add new ones.
    http://www.handspun.ie/handspuncgi/ezdbase.cgi

As dahamsta pointed out, the bells and whistles can be added later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

The best way to do it is with MySQL and PHP

You have opened up a huge can of worms there!!! lol

Some would say ASP, access database is the best way....
    Somw would say cold fusion and accesss....

Its all down to preference.
    It wouldnt cost much to get a developer to design a secure interface for this.

No more than a days work.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Your choice of technology will probably be determined by your present hosting set-up - whether you’re hosting on a *nix box or Win32 based server. Check your provider as to this set-up and whether you have the facility to add server side scripting in the first place.

As has been suggested, you’re probably better off getting in a third party developer to do this for you and your requirements are just slightly too off the beaten track to be found in a free modifiable script.

A good developer would indeed get it done in one day; a less experienced one will take much longer and will produce insecure code. If you are lucky you may be able to find the former charging the latter’s rates.

Regardless, you’ll probably still get hit for a couple of hundred Euros.

Advertisement