Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radeon 9500 or 9700????

• 17-05-2003 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi, I just got a radeon gfx card, and I'm not sure if its a Radeon 9500, 9500 pro or 9700. Either way it was an absolute bargain so I'm not worried about that, but I'd have no idea which of these cards it is....
    Its pcb layout looks like a Radeon 9500 or the 9700, but it could be an old 9500 pro. On booting, I forgot to plug it into the power, and it identified itself as a 9700 in the error message.
    I've had trouble with the drivers, they're not installing properly, but I think the new ones the 3.4 Catalysts are working, but they detected a 9500....
    And then I changed the drivers to the 9700 ones, and its running at the right clock speeds without any problem, 325mhz GPU and about 310mhz memory. After installing the 9700 drivers, it detects a 9700 gpu.
    Can anyone shed some light on this situation???
    Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'd install Power Strip. . It should give you all info you need on the card. Its a great app with loads of features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Or try DXDIAG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Originally posted by Flashman
    Either way it was an absolute bargain

Flashman,
    How much did you get it for & from where?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yeah- do tell us. Would be nice if there were more of them going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Friend of mine got a 9500.. supposed to be better than the GF4 he said... technically he is probably right maybe..

however he installed Vice city (excellent game) and it looked OK but had graphical glitches.. we then went to mine and installed it and could not get over the difference!! My GF3 blew it out of the water.. it looked so much better.. better definition of shadows etc etc.. and my GF3 is not even maxed out in the settings.. his was and the image quality was on mine!

I dont like ATI.. still dont trust them even if the hardware is great and the drivers supposed to be stable these days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Flashman

It was a deal not likely to spring up again sadly... but am I not right in saying that powerstrip will just read whatever the installed drivers tell them? I tried dxdiag and that just gives whatever drivers I installed. Like I installed the 9500pro/9700 drivers, and it said it was a 9700 chip... and when it was installed as a 9500, it said 9500 chip.
    The pcb for the 9500 and the 9700 seem identical, so that is no help.
    The drivers are not installing properly either...the newest, catalyst 3.4, worked fine until reboot, and I got an agp bus incompatability error...

Is the error message when the card is started without power the only way of telling for sure? Could someone with a different model try this and see if their error says Radeon 9700 too?

Advertisement