Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cd/Dvd Player Problem

Options
  • 17-05-2003 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

Not sure if it should be here or somewhere else.
    Please move if needed.

Now the problem
    My Samsum Combo SM-304B has since yesterday been unable to read any cds/dvds The light just keeps flashing for a few mins then goes out.
    Ive tried to use a firmware update from the samsung website but that didnt help made things worse by removing the drive.

Used system restore to try and erase problem but that didn't work.

So I'm open for any suggestions please ??

Ste

P.s. Running XP Home
    Amd Athlon 1gig
    and 128 Ram.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Starting with the simple things, get yourself one of those CD/DVD drive cleaners and run it through a few times. Could be as simple a thing as dust on the lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Cheers I'm off to town soon to try pick one up.
    Will report back later.

The lens cleaner didn't work same problem put it in some noise comes along like its trying to read it but cant.
    Then stops after 2 or so mins.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

firstly have a look in the bois menu and she if it is detected in there, if yes try this i had the same problem with a philips dvd cd-rw drive about two months ago this is what i did to solve the problem in the end it was the drive that was faulty i had to replace it anyway back to topic try this.. ,,,how many cd rom drives are there, if two conected via ide or scsi cable try disconneting your samsung, and the other one, connect the other to this interface, and vice versa, if the other drive works on this ide, and the samsung still does not work it could be the drive it self. that is the problem :ninja:

Just the 1 drive so I'm thinkin thats the problem.
    Me thinks I'll be me a DVD Recorder in its place.

• Advertisement

Have one of your friends got a spare one, and try that, but me thinks that is da drive that is faulty.:)

Well got the new drive today after 2 days of numerous fonecalls to dhl (dont ask)

Anyway problem still there.
    Dosnt scan for as long but its still like theres no cd in the drive when clearly there is.

Ok I tried my dads Creative cdrw and that works.
    But the dvd/rw still wont work.

Almost seems to me that if the driv ehas anything with dvd on it that it wont work.

sorry that me could not reply for a few days busy in work,,, anyway what Os are you using, and wich versoin of the firmware did you download, have a look at this link for the firmware version that you did http://etna.rpc1.org/samsung/ , if you using XP have a look at this link and maybe try installing a new driver http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/companies/3/911.htm

if all this fails i would ring samsung about this,

Running Xp sp1
    Anyway I reckon my old drive was ****ed and this new drive I bought could be faulty.

Tried the old combo drive in my dads pc and it didnt work and when I get home I'm gonna try the new dvd/rw in there aswell help me iron out any problems.

Was gonna try a firmwae upgrade to the new drive but wouldn't that make returning it void ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

Won't help much but my experience with combo drives aint good. Very high failure rate, and the majority I came across would do the exact same as you describe the struggling sounds of trying to access. If your new drive don't work could be another faulty or you could swap the ide cable for a known good one.

Well I tried it in another pc with a known good ide cable.
    Still to no avail.
    Think I'll send it back for a replacement.

Thanx for the help guys.

Advertisement