Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!Copying Windows from Harddrive

• 17-05-2003 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have a working Windows 98se Computer 9gigs 400mhz
    and another Window 98se Pc with 4gigs 230mhz...with a Windows Protection Error on it..Windows wouldnt load
    so I removed the HD out of it and put it in my IDE of my working PC
    so it would be in the D:\
    How can i copy the windows from my C:\ of my working pc..into the other HD..so it could run again..I dont have the CD's
    Someone told me..i could do this by Dos with the Command copy /y c:\windows d:\windows
    I tried it..but it only copyed the Dir of windows..and not the Subs..and then when i put the HD back in my other PC..it said Non System Disk...so is it a way..for me to take the contents of my Working Windows98 from my HD..and put it on my other HD
    ..Note..the working HD..has 9gigs..and the none working HD..has 4gigs..which i know it wouldnt need much Memory to run windows..What is the best way to do this? without having registry problems..or messingup both HD's...Please HELP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i think
    xcopy /e c:\ d:\
    should do the trick, windows xp xcopy is different to the version that comes with 98, so i can't be sure...

to get the os to boot on the second hd you'd have to copy most of the files in the root of the hd as well as 'program files', just copying the windows folder won't do it

oh yeah, if you're very lucky there might be a folder in c:\windows\cabs that contains the setup files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 giftic

thanks tman...would C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS have the files? also on my 2nd HDD..when i load it in the 2nd PC..thats down..it labels it D drive..so is this a Bios Problem..i have the IDE Belts in the right ports i believe..and Also..How can i download xcopy c:\ d:\ when c:\ has 9gigs..4 or 5used..and d:\ has 4..3gigs used
    How can i copy everything off the big working HDD windows98...onto the other smaller HDD..and still get the USEFUL stuff..to run windows on...hmmmm Please help..also when i do
    all the copying...would i extract the cabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 giftic

Well I..took out my working HDD in c:\..and put it in the broke pc...as C:\...and it loaded the windows 98..in safemode..becuss of the drivers..differences..probably..but it was RUNNING..so does that mean..i could xcopy the good hdd windows98 10gigs..5used to the 4gigs 3used...HOW COULD I..put the USEFUL STUFF ON THE SMALLER HDD? hmmmm PLEASE HELP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

giftic

you don't have to copy the disk in dos, you can do it from windows make sure you have the "show hidden files" ticked
    if you put the second drive on ide2 it will copy prity quickly
    The best solution is symantic ghost,
    You may be able to get a trial version or an old version for free

Dec

Advertisement