Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top hundred books

Options
  • 17-05-2003 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Well, did anyone watch it. The list of the top hundred are here in alphabetical order:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100.shtml

First impressions:

A lot of children's books - Enid Blyton!!
    Dominated by Harry Potter / Dark Materials trilogy - why not treat them as one?
    Terry Pratchett - how many books does he have on the list?

It shows that a lot of young people voted and obviously heavily waited in their favour. It's interesting never the less as The British reading tastes wouldn't differ too much from our own.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Eh The Secret Garden is on it. That was one of my favourite books as a kid, and i'm proud to say i'm a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

im actually surprised to find ive read a good few of them.
    pillars of the earth by Ken Follett got fairly high, i read that ages ago and forgot all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

artemis fowl was in it..goooo eoin colfer. as far as i know dat was the only irish author, could be wrong though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    artemis fowl was in it..goooo eoin colfer. as far as i know dat was the only irish author, could be wrong though....
    We could claim CS Lewis, perhaps. His old family home (the one with the wardrobe) has just come up for sale in Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭antwalsh

James Joyce people

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Obviously flaw poll.
    Well, where is Peig Sayers :) .

Advertisement