Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2K Freezing

Options
  • 18-05-2003 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'm running Windows 2000 Professional on my laptop (a Fujitsu Lifebook A-1010) and for some reason it freezes every now and again. It freezes hard, i.e. no activity at all from the HD and it can only be shut down by holding in the power button.

I am also running FreeBSD 5.0 on the laptop, and that used to exhibit the same problem. I noticed that the machine froze when it was doing long, memory intensive operations so I forced the bug to happen and watched top. It turned out that it always froze when the free memory dropped to near zero. I made a wild assumption that it was trying to allocate memory from the block that's shared with the video card and that's what was causing it to hang. I recompiled my kernel to tell FreeBSD I had less RAM than I do and it hasn't frozen since.

Now the problem is, Windows isn't as consistent. It seems to freeze at totally random times, sometimes I might leave it on, doing nothing, with no apps open and go for dinner and I'd come back and it'd be frozen. Also, it could go for days working perfectly and then freeze 3/4 times in an hour. The system logs aren't showing anything that looks like it could be the problem.

Can anyone give me any hints as to where to start troubleshooting the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

well, I think its fair to say you have a RAM problem.

i dont remember how to limit the ram in 2k, and im too lazy to look, you could try that,

or, if you have more than one module in the laptop, take out one and see what happens, you may be able to narrow it down to a certain stick.

if its grapahics shared causing teh prob, maybe you could disable some of the acceleration features of the chip and see if its helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭QBall

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    i dont remember how to limit the ram in 2k, and im too lazy to look, you could try that,

I've been lookin for a way to do that. Logic would say that it should be an option somewhere in System in Control Panel, but it isn't. Must Google harder...
    or, if you have more than one module in the laptop, take out one and see what happens, you may be able to narrow it down to a certain stick.

Only one module I'm afraid.
    if its grapahics shared causing teh prob, maybe you could disable some of the acceleration features of the chip and see if its helps

Have just tried that. The bitch is that it's nigh on impossible to tickle the bug like I could in BSD, but I'll see how I get on.

Thanks for the help. (More suggestions from anyone are always welcome though :-))

Advertisement