Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead at the Olympia

• 18-05-2003 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

That was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

Absolutely amazing.

The encores were fantastic, especially the wry knowing smile as the crowd cheered Thom mentioning the Liffey in "How to Disappear Completely"

I'll be coming down off that gig for some time :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Great show, but the "How To Disappear Completely" was sooooo obvious as an encore...

Will they play a different set tomorrow (tonight?). Feckin hope so, I'll be there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Ohhhhhhh I so so so cant wait for tonight peeps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

it was indeed an amazing gig, euphoric and all that.

pyramid song was beautiful. the olympia was a perfect venue. it was the most intimate place to see a band so huge-the only qualm i felt was that the sound didn't do as much justice as it oculd have to thoms voice. i saw the band (ed in particular) had to ask for mic sound adjustments and such a few times, which must have been quite annoying, never seen thatvhappen to such a huge band before. (although, that couldve been because huge bands usually play huge venues and there's only so many 6'9" people you can be stood behind before losing sight of the stage completely)

also...how cute was thom's 'thank you for having us?' they have to be the most energetic, entertaining band to watch. they just get so lost in the music.

i had the gig somewhat spoiled though by being stood in front of this mouthy HOE!!!! her and her fella walked in (late) and she spent the first few minutes telling everyone how happy she was that she was at radiohead and couldnt believe shed manage to get tickets at the box office (and we all felt...ah...bless)

then she proceeded to talk through the WHOLE GIG. do you remember near the end of the gig, thom was talking, and some bloke just made a huge *mwah ha ha* laugh? that was the america dude beside me getting so pissed off with this girl after he'd told her to shut up that he just screamed in her ear to prove a point. but alas....she still didnt shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

was there last night and twas brilliant. the new stuff sounds great live and im glad they played 10 tracks from HTTT.

here's my humble and not so eloquent thoughts as of 2am this morning

http://www.eclectichoney.com/rheadolympia.html

A lovely professionally written review fixxy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I was stood just behind a fat sweaty mongloid for half the show, and every time he moved he completely blocked my view of the stage with his neck.

Moved behind the sounddesk and had a lovely view for the second half. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Aye, excellent gig last night. Didnt quite have the energy of when they played there after The Bends was released but i guess we have all grown up since ;)

Was there last night foer the sunday gig.

I am still in shock and awe... I was speechless after the gig.

The most amazing thing ive seen live ever.

The energy and the vibe they have on stage...one just gets carried away to a far away place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by mbroaders
    Aye, excellent gig last night. Didnt quite have the energy of when they played there after The Bends was released but i guess we have all grown up since ;)

Didn't quite have the energy? Were you at the same gig? That's the happiest i've ever seen Radiohead, Thom was dancing around like a lunatic, it was great!

Every time I see Thom I have an overwhelming urge to cuddle him. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

anyone got a setlist from last nite??
    Heard it was different from sat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I went on the Saturday, got to meet Thom, and I got his autograph :>
    Great gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Gwan then, scan/snap and post for us Giblet ;)

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

hmmm. I'm almost hesitant to say this but what the hell; I was really disapointed! Didn't enjoy the gig at all.
    Maybe I had built it up too much, you know radiohead in the OLYMPIA! , but I just went away feeling let down.

At this point, for full disclosure, I should really mention that I'm not that big a fan of the new stuff (Oh and I'm not some stuck in the mud who would begrudge a band a change in their sound. Neither am I an ardent rocker, too closed minded to appreciate that their sound has evolved since the days of The bends. Its just that the direction they've taken is not to my liking).

I didnt see any of this "amazing energy" from the band and I got the impression that much of the crowd was just going through the motions: I've never seen a gig where there was so many people in the bar WHILE the main act was playing!!! (I sat down in there for a few minutes after I met a friend of mine and for a while it seemed like I was in my local with radiohead chugging away as lounge music in the background.

(On an aside; security seemed MAD tight! maybe part of why I couldnt enjoy the gig (a very small part) is that I kept being moved around by 20 stone security blokes.)

All in all I came away thinking that I was more entertained by "Tremors 3" than I was by a radiohead gig in the olympia... and that just isnt right.

woah.....i agree with nothing that's been said there. ah well.

oh and giblet...how?????

tell us all about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I found the setlists for both nights on NME's site. Was there on Sat, great gig

hang on....
    brer rabit...isnt that you smack?
    (im really sorry if u dont know me brer rabbit)but if it is smack, did u go along coz u got my text? really sorry u were dissapointed , but i thought it was one of the best gigs ever!

setlist: sunday:

There there
    2+2=5
    national anthem
    morning bell
    scatterbrain
    kid a
    go to sleep
    climbing up the walls
    backdrifts
    sail to the moon
    sit down stand up
    no surprises
    talk show host
    where I end and u begin
    paranoid android
    idioteque
    everything in its right place

Encore 1:

I might be wrong
    We suck young blood
    Myxomatosis
    street spirit

Encore 2:

fake plastic trees
    how to disappear

Dublin concert Setlist
    there there
    2+2=5
    Where i end and you begin
    airbag
    lucky
    go to sleep
    i might be wrong
    backdrifts
    sail to the moon
    myxomatosis
    just
    sit down stand up
    you and whose army?
    national anthem
    hunting bears
    idioteque
    everything in it's right place

encore 1
    the gloaming
    punch up at a wedding
    pyramid song
    paranoid android

encore 2
    karma police
    how to disappear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Anyone see Colin have a walk down the queue on Sunday to have a look at who was going in, If i hadn't been half asleep i could have got his autograph or a pic. How the hell did u get Thoms? did he do the same trick?
    Did ye spot The Edge enjoying the show in one of the boxes to the right of the stage? Definitely him as I saw him again afetr the gig.
    Well I'm a big fan of Radiohead I have seen them 3 times now and I've got to say even though I did enjoy the concert very much, they just aren't the greatest live band!! Its true for some reason I just don't find them special live.
    Thom seems to be becoming a total freak jittering and shaking his way around the stage, thank god his in the greatest band in the world otherwise he'd be locked up.

Ok, I got into town at 6:00, and was planning to go to the pub for some pre-show drinks.
    One of my mates had already gotten some autographs off everyone else, and told me to come down the road beside the olympia (the back entrance), I didn't believe him and heistated,but went down eventually. After about 60 seconds a black jeep drives down, and gets in my way, which pisses me off, and then I look in the window, and Thom is just sitting there in the back!
    So we all went to the car door and waited until he appeared, and he stood there signing autographs for a minute or two, not many people there.
    Ill post a scan later, and I also have a pic we took on a phone of him signing it:)

Here the pic of him signing it my ticket, with a cool sillver pen thing.
    Bit blurry, but tis ok.
    Thom.jpg

And heres the Ticket itself, sorry about the quality, but you get the idea.

thomauto.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

cool, the blurring shake suits the pic, very artistic!! your one lucky fecker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Simply awesome gig best i have ever seen in any venue, went sat night and my only gripe was i was behind the sound box and the set list was there i tried not to read it but gave in and knew each song as it was played.

Superb tho :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Simply awesome gig best i have ever seen in any venue, went sat night and my only gripe was i was behind the sound box and the set list was there i tried not to read it but gave in and knew each song as it was played.

Superb tho :)

kdjac
    I can see how that would have spoiled things. We all thought that if we clapped hard enough they would keep coming back forever (eventually that notion was spoiled for me too, but it lasted a while at least). That belief was stolen from you. Still an excellent gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I <3 radiohead! Is anyone going to the two shows in the point? Bought my tickets last week. This time i'm gonna queue outside and hope to meet little Thom.
    It is my ambition to give him a cuddle :)

Advertisement