Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radiohead last night

Options
  • 18-05-2003 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

3 things i want to tell you about

the first is if you didn't manage to get tickets, you should maybe try going down to the olympia box office they were selling the ebay tickets @ 45 quid before the show (cheaper than what i paid for mine!). also i think the touts outside are selling for roughly 70, which isn't too bad. (i thought i overheard someone say that, but i could very liekly be wrong)

2nd thing was-the gig was absolutely amazing. one of the best i've ever been to. it was just thrilling to be seeing such a huge band in such an intimate venue, paricularly if you were standing. the setlist was class-i feared they were gonn play just new stuff (not that i dont like the newer stuff but the older stuff is great too) and they played a bit of everything, the only album they left out was pablo honey. some of the songs included everything in its place, just, karma ploice, paranoid android, lucky, pyramid song, you and whose army, hail to the theif...etc.

thom's voice was gorgeous. there was a hush when they did pyramid song and it was my fave song of the night (well..maybe apart from mixamitosis). the only qualm i had with the olympia was the sound didnt do full justice to his voice...and also i saw the band asking for mic sound adjustments a few times (ed in particular) (speaking of ed.....phwoah!). they were just so energetic, so entertaining...even when doing slow mellow songs. and they interacted with the audience beautifully....how cute was it when he said thanks for having us????

my last thing...i have finally succumbed to the side of 'people should NOT talk during gigs' this couple came in just before radiohead started, and were drunk, or on somethitng, im not sure which. they started telling everyone how happy they were to be there, they couldnt believe they were seeing radiohead. and we all felt solidarity with them....until....

they would not shut the **** up. they spent the WHOLE gig talking. i got so annoyed. eventually the guy beside me asked them to be quiet, and she screamed '**** you...blah blah blah'. everyone was gettig really annoyed with them, she kept singing along to all the qiuet songs where everyone was trying to listen, and she admitted that she was trying to annoy people by talking. if anyone heard someone gdo a big *mwah ha ha* laugh when thom was speaking at the end, that was the guy beside me screaming into the girls ear to show her how annoying it was.

i couldnt believe it...she actually said 'i can't believe we're at radiohead' but she couldnt have seen any of the gig. was anyone else standing enar me ad have to put up with her? i was at the left hand side of the stage, near the barrier for entrance into the pit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

ya bitch i was gonna use that as my signature!!!:D :D:D

what time did the box office ticks go on sale at do ya know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Im going tonight were the suppport act any good?

four tet are the support act, bought their album 'rounds' last week. its very good. kinda similar beats to kid a and amnesiac buzz not really similar in the melody department though. still dont miss them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

fukin amazing gig

ye tickets were going for around €70 outside,
    mate got offered 65. i'm sorry now i didn't buy tickets
    for both nights. what i hate about gigs like this is that they have to end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I heard a bit of There There via mobile phone last night and they sounded AMAZING!!! I'm soo excited for tonight!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

don't know what time they go onsale at-i got there at 8ish and there were still tickets left.

polarbelly-use it as your sig as well. we can start up a whole school of sigs like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

yipee!!

first of all, sorry for running off last night, it was only partly cos I dont like you. i had to run back in a and find one of my friends and thne some guy tried to interview us and take pictures, so we were very rude and ran the whole way up to college green and had to jump in front of our bus.

anyway.
    BEST GIG EVER!!!!

i second pretty much everything you've already said (even the phwoar for Ed). i was queueing from about 12 yesterday. it was really cool outside all day, mostly thanks to a great guy named Warren. i was lucky enough to talk to everyone in the band except Phil ( :( ). They were all really cool. I got Colin to sign a Nitelink ticket for the laugh.

a fantastic gig, no other band on the planet right now could come close to that... maybe Busted. i wish i was going again tonight, alot of people are being greedy and going both nights. but ive got my ticket for the second night at the Point in December. In case people didnt realise, there is a second night added. According to Radiohead's website, there's still standing for the second night.

also, ive just found the full setlist on some French fan site:

Dublin concert Setlist
    there there
    2+2=5
    Where i end and you begin
    airbag
    lucky
    go to sleep
    i might be wrong
    backdrifts
    sail to the moon
    myxomatosis
    just
    sit down stand up
    you and whose army?
    national anthem
    hunting bears
    idioteque
    everything in it's right place

encore 1
    the gloaming
    punch up at a wedding
    pyramid song
    paranoid android

encore 2
    karma police
    how to disappear

i think Lucky is the best live song ive ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I'm just back from night two. There were some changes to the set list you put up Achille..
    Didn't play Just, Lucky, You and Whose Army, Airbag, Karma Police or Pyramid Song...
    But they did play Talk Show Host, Climbing Up the Walls(amazing), No Surprises, and making my night, they played Fake Plastic Trees which was beautiful, I was one happy girl.
    Absolutely fantastic gig, I concur with the phwoar to Ed and Thom's dancing had to be seen to be believed. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Amnesiac

even better than last night! great setlist: talk show host , fake plastic trees, street spirit made their return.

we weren't too bad at clapping along to We suck young blood, well i wasn't at any rate.

the gig really took off during paranoid android, and was on another level from then on.

the edge was there too...taking lessons from the finest guitarist on the planet, no doubt.

amazing gig

There there
    2+2=5
    national anthem
    morning bell
    scatterbrain
    kid a
    go to sleep
    climbing up the walls
    backdrifts
    sail to the moon
    sit down stand up
    no surprises
    talk show host
    where I end and u begin
    paranoid android
    idioteque
    everything in its right place

Encore 1:

I might be wrong
    We suck young blood
    Myxomatosis
    street spirit

Encore 2:

fake plastic trees
    how to disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Excellent excellent excellent.

Worth it all for Paranoid Android alone.

And fake plastic trees and Street Spirit too.

Stuck in the past, some of the new stuff sounds pretty damn fine too.

See ya in Glastonbury...woohoo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

mmmm radiohead... i'm already looking forward to december! but i wonder if it can be as good as seeing them is a small venue! that was amazing! gots ta say the best part for me was paranoid android being followed by idioteque... and talkshowhost and 2+2=5 is just a fanastic song, esp live!!!!

oooooh it was so great!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Can't say much more than Absolutely Legend!!

Fair play to Radiohead/Waste for trying to make sure the real fans got tickets.

You could see the place was bursting with appreciation.

Tis true Kurdt. I'm sure they'll put on just as good a performance in December but it is in the point, no comparison with the Olympia.

Never mind. I'll be there with bells on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by acquiescefc
    Excellent excellent excellent.

Worth it all for Paranoid Android alone.

Dirty, dirty song.

:)

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Best band ever, it's that simple.

There is no one around at the moment who even comes close to Radiohead.

Can't wait for the point.

Originally posted by Achille
    yipee!!

first of all, sorry for running off last night, it was only partly cos I dont like you. i had to run back in a and find one of my friends and thne some guy tried to interview us and take pictures, so we were very rude and ran the whole way up to college green and had to jump in front of our bus.

hmmm.....if i didnt like someone (partly or otherwise) i wouldnt bother my hole apologising for being rude! :)

anyways....im torn...can't decide which would have been a better night to go...but...just and pyramid song are some of my favourite songs so i think im glad i went on saturday

i'd love to hear them play my iron lung though, or bulletproof.

yeah, there were a few moment when i looked at the band and they just looked happy to be playing. and ed had a big grin on his face a few times that seemd as though he was just in awe/happy with how happy the crowd were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gary D

They were handing out Samaritans leaflets after the gig, which i thought was halarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

I went to both nights, I personally think that the second night was better, and that was hard considering how good the first one was.

Without doubt these guys are the best band in the world. Never standing still but never going down stupid streets.

its just amazing how the can turn a sharp corer with their music yet still produce amazing stuff, and keep their true fans happy. they kind of reming me of tim buckley in that sense, not that i;ve ever heard any of his music, but i read the jeff and tim book, and tim came across as having many musical directional changed, but losing a lot of his fans because of it. but i like the newer albums as much as i like the older ones, and i think a lot of people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

hmm,
    im only a little bit bitter at some of my friends who went to the second night as well. I would have liked to see Fake Plastic Trees and Climbing Up the Walls. But I got my Lucky and my Idioteque and 2+2=5 is now on my faves.

if i had missed out on Let Down or Life in a Glasshouse or True Love Waits I might have cried.

I'm definitely gonna see them on Dec 4th and I may see them on June 26th (i think) if I decide to go to the Werchter festival in Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

YEah, I'm gonna see them at hurricane in Hamberg and then again in Dec at the point. :)

Happy is me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Yeah it was bloody good the best gig ive been to I was bolloxed for my exam this mourning but it was worth it.
    The only bad thing was the support act A guy with two laptops for gods sake.
    I know some people will say you dont like it just tbecause its different and doesnt have guitars. But to me it sounded like modem dialup.

it was an amazing gig, and i was in bad nick for my exam too but... feck it

i liked four tet but not as a support act... wouldve preferred to see a band or at least something more visual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

sweet sweet sweet radiohead. December i await thee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Junebug

I saw them in the Olympia on Saturday and drove up to Belfast to see them last night. They played Exit music for a film. Need I say anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ilovehoovering

Originally posted by thedrowner
    don't know what time they go onsale at-i got there at 8ish and there were still tickets left.
    THANK YOU! i was up by whelans killing time in a netplace before going to see david kitt when i saw your post at 4 minutes to 8. great panic. sprinted down to the olympia and got a really good seat (just behind relish...ooh the privilege). it was fantastic. almost managed to sneak onto the floor but was foiled by alert bouncer.damn :D

Advertisement