Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xp problem again

Options
  • 18-05-2003 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭

I'm using win xp home, i recently installed teh service pack 1a onto it serious problem with it it was blocking the games that i play, antway i got that sorted by uninstalling it, now the bloody computers keeps on installing win updates, the security ones explore ones, i click that i do not want to install them, but teh computer keeps on installing them. with out permission, now they problem what i have is that i start up the computer, and you can click on the start, but the whole lot freezes now, i cannot do anything, i thaught that the memory might be running low, but there is about 175MB of memory left on it, i removed the security update, but the problem is still there, i cannot do a system restore, eventhough there are restore points made, it freezes and does nothing.it will save the settings for the updates i i say no it keeps on downloading them anyway, anybody have any idea on this. i have more problem with this xp than any other OS, maybe i will just go o7t and buy winxp pro instead.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Mac daddy
    I'm using win xp home, i recently installed teh service pack 1a onto it serious problem with it it was blocking the games that i play, antway i got that sorted by uninstalling it, now the bloody computers keeps on installing win updates, the security ones explore ones, i click that i do not want to install them, but teh computer keeps on installing them. with out permission

Get to the control panel>system and enabling and disabling of automatic updates should be there, disable it. This should stop it trying to download and install win updates.

Get SP1 not SP1a and install it, Windows XP SP1a does not include or install the Microsoft VM, which provides support for running Java programs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

disable System Restore too.

Useless. never works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

i downloaded spybot, since installing this it has got rid of a load of cr*p, example stuff what was on the computer, i was sending info to a server evertime is going online after installing spybot i don't have slow boot or netspeed anymore, the netspeed was around 32Kbps now it is around 44 kbps not bad for a cable modem.and i put a firewall up aswell that seems to working fine now????:confused:

How many process do you have running on startup?

there are about 34 running in the task manager at present, way to much, and the cpu is at 100% the whole time wich is not good, there are only two progemas running on the desktop anitivirus, and boards.ie, for the rest everything is closed??:(

• Advertisement

34 is not bad, 100% CPU usage is bad. You have to find out which is demanding and delete it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

run msconfig and disable a shed load o crappy applications you dont need running.

NB is only the anti-virus.

I've 21 starting, 19 minus AVG control centre and MSN.

Originally posted by Dempsey
    34 is not bad, 100% CPU usage is bad. You have to find out which is demanding and delete it

i found it last night the problem is i have a download accelerator DAP,, quite good but this is the problem it was running at 99% the bast*rd so erased it no everything is fine for now, cheers for all the help dempsey :D

Advertisement