Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gamer is a bunch of arse

Options
  • 18-05-2003 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

I've been steadily buying pc gamer less and less over the last year and I think this month's issue will be my final one. It's absolutely gone to the dogs, most of the reviews don't actually talk about the game itself for at least two paragraphs (instead preferring to talk about the reviewer's childhood or how his back hurts. Maybe it's meant to come off as funny but it definitly doesn't), articles like Game for a LOL, Ross on why and It's all over are so unfunny it's painful to look at them let alone read them. The recent features on stuff like violence and racism just make it come off looking like a cheap version of EDGE which I guess isn't suprising seeing as loads of them seem to write for EDGE as well. Their constant referral to consoles as toys also grates a lot, as though somehow what they're playing is infinitly better and more worthwhile. Having to put up with Peter Molyneus every five seconds also annoys me, the man just can't admit that his last game was complete bollocks.
    Looks like I'm down to just two magazines now, EDGE and Games TM, here's hoping that pcg gets back on track now that it has a new editor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

It took you this long to find out how cr*p PCG are? shame on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

The magazine is way to bogged down on ethics,they accuse every war game made at the moment of being revisionist,and know their most entertaining writer has left the future is poor.Every game is not judged on it actual value that are important such as actual gameplay but now on how "offensive" it is or how ethically and politicaly incorrect it is a good example is their review of command and conquer the generals.It is nothing to what it used ot be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Originally posted by Sloth
    Having to put up with Peter Molyneus every five seconds also annoys me, the man just can't admit that his last game was complete bollocks.

umm he has acknowledged all the flaws and stuff from his last game....he made a big announcement about it. thats why he's making a second one...

pc zone all the way!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PC Zone is only a little better. Eurogamer and Games tm all the way. And bring back Stuart Campbell!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

did i not hear on this very board that PCGamer are paid to give good reviews?

tis a ****e mag anyways, pczone is teh w1n!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's the only explanation for SOF2 being game of the month. Most mags are offered money for good reviews and PC Gamer definitely take them. Whats the point in getting an exclusive that gets a crap score? Official mags are the worst for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Originally posted by Sloth
    articles like Game for a LOL, Ross on why and It's all over are so unfunny it's painful to look at them let alone read them.
    they are funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I remember when it was good. Stopped buying it cause my old pc got incredibly out-dated <went from a P75 to a PIII600 so just imagine the crapness of my last computer>. Tis a pity it's gone crap.

It was nothing to Amiga Power though...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Why bother with game mags when you have the net?
    If its for demos,mods etc they are usually out of date anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think its more attractive to read outta a magazine plus it gives you something to get outta the house every month rushing down to the corner shop to buy and copy pczone + pcgamer (which is burnt!)

PCG is ****e PcZone wins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

The DVD is always good, and can save people with slow connnections a few euro's on their phone bill. Essential Patches, Newers Drivers etc.

In fact, If I want reviews of hardware, or games, I just get them online.

So the only reason I buy the magazine (rarely) is for its massive DVD content.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    and Games tm

Just a little off topic, some guy just dropped off one or two copies of GamesTM in the E3 pressroom.

Any how, it was the first time I seen it and I can only say it looks good, I haven't had time to read it - but as I said looks good :)

Also I picked of Edge a few weeks ago (didn’t read any of the reviews) but the news etc was readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Is it true about the money for reviews stuff or is this another urban myth ?
    The magazine is funny and I do buy it every month ,but I picked up a copy of PC Zone for their pre view of Half Life 2 and I was impressed,
    if you have a crappy 56 K connection like myself with a best connect speed of 48, then the DVD is a saviour for trying out demos. mods, direct x updates to name but a few ,
    on the whole I have to say I do like Pc Gamer but I would be worried about the money for reviews allegations
    I also enjoyed soldier of fortune 2 maybe I am easily satisifed

I think though on the whole every mag has its own agenda and its own angle, they are probably all much of a muchness

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why do ye even buy games mags?

Download the demos yourselves, play them and decide if you like the game or not.
    Why rely on second-hand experience when making purchases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Have you ever heard of 56k dial up modems ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Aye many a year I spent stroking my sloth-like 56k but now well all I can say is woooooosh.

Well Shinji says that they accept money as do a lot of other mags and I've heard this a lot from other reliable sources. Also for an exclusive lots of mags promise good reviews for an exclusive review. As for SOF2 you may have enjoyed it but it wasn't exactly groundbreaking and didn't deserve a 85+ score (92 I think) and game of the month. In my opinion it played it too safe and ended up just plain average.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i used to like pcg thats not pc gamer by the way but i think its gone down hill latley there used to be such class disks with it unbelievable amount of stuff they put on it, much better than the other magazines disks. pc zone is my favourite rite now but it varies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Download the demos yourselves

Not on 5-6 Kb Per Second you wont.

I have a good solution. I get Prae to download them in work with his DSL connection

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Who is this Prae you speak so fondly of all the time?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PC Zone gave Klingon Honour Gaurd 94%.

The fucking cunts.

Praetorian. You can see him on boards from time to time usually slagging me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

bring back c.brooker, he was cool till he got sick of himself. some of the rest of the older PCZ staff also wrote well. this PC PoliticialC thing has ruined all the mags, but it probably has increased their sales.

"the last bastion of british balls out gaming journalism" died long ago. dont waste your money on **** magazines. there are other ways to find out about games.

they gave it 94%, which game came out right afterwards and made it look terrible? i forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I just buy games mags for the cover DVD... I don't really care what one lonely, disfigured, greasy-haired, self-important games reviewer thinks about any given game.
    I'll make up my own mind from the demo, thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

bring back c.brooker, he was cool till he got sick of himself

Last I checked Charlie was rather busy with a successful career as a comedian/satirist and unlikely to start writing about videogames again any time soon... Fans of TVGoHome and Brass Eye might have recognised his hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by vasch_ro
    Have you ever heard of 56k dial up modems ??
    Yes. And 28.8kbps ones too.
    Have you heard of net cafés and CD burners? DSL? College students?
    Not on 5-6 Kb Per Second you wont.

But on 500-600kb you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by vasch_ro
    Is it true about the money for reviews stuff or is this another urban myth?
    Not 100% sure about PC magazines, but my brother used to date a girl who was the marketing director for a popular snowboarding mag, and their office was bogged down with free 'gifts' and stuff from all the major MF's of snowboarding gear. I don't think they ever paid for their 'many' flights to all the hottest/coolest boarding locations or any of their top of the range gear. And on top of that they were all getting paid a fat wedge of cash to go snowboarding and write about it!

One time they even went boarding with Jay Kay from Jamiroquai (flights/hotel etc. together too), so I know for a fact that it at least happens there, for them to mention the right gear, or get shots for the mag of the right people wearing the right gear. DOn't see why PC mags should be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Yea I must agree, PC Gamer is now rubbish. My subscription ended 2-3 months ago. I didn't renew.

The net is the best source for reviews and demos etc these days, with or without broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

PC Zone - excellent reviews and articles, no bullsh*t.

PC Gamer - can't say I've read many issues, but I've got no reason to switch magazines.

For the record, PCZ were the only UK based magazine allowed to go to Valve HQ to write up their preview of HL2 (so they say) - which goes far to explain why PCZ's preview seems far more indepth than PCG's.

Advertisement