Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gamer is a bunch of arse

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Speaking of Half-Life 2 did anyone notice the alarming similarity between EDGE's preview and PC GAMER's preview right down to the comment about valve turning up the steam?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Yes. And 28.8kbps ones too.
    Have you heard of net cafés and CD burners? DSL? College students?

But on 500-600kb you will.

Often people live in places with out net cafés - SHOCK shock!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The similarity is because edge and pcgamer are from the same publisher and so all the staff are in the same building and there is usually a cross over of staff to each magazine.

I'm a college student at DCU and while the connection is brilliant theres no Kazaa so its a pain in the arse looking for sites with roms and demos. Also can only use 100mb zip disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

i like pc gamer quite a lot. i used to vary gamer and zone, but pc zone stopped being enjoyable and recently i've started buying pc gamer monthly. gamer is better because they only review games that are finished, and the games are always out. their reviews and comments are always funny and informative, and they never give a game a good score simply because of hype (eg, unreal 2: pc zone 90%, pc gamer 83%). and the devil's advocate column is always worth a read, although i do agree that the feature about mature content in video games was quite stupid. but for me its still pc gamer all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

gamer is better because they only review games that are finished

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I'm SURE I've seen games reviewed in PC Gamer (usually "cover games") long before they actually went gold at the developer - so the review can't possibly have been based on final code.

Admittedly Zone are undoubtedly far, far worse offenders when it comes to this, but Gamer do it too I'm sure.

Oh, as for the Unreal II thing - really, was it worth 83% either? You're talking about a 7% difference in score, and that was a pretty rubbish game. Strikes me that BOTH mags bought the hype there, it's just that it was only PC Zone that adopted the usual lame magazine review WOW SUPER SMASHING GREAT NINETY PERCENT WOWZA! tone...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Neither are as bad as Eurogamer. Did you read some of the stuff from that reviewer Robb. He doesn't know what he's talking about. You'd swear he was a Smyths or Game shop assistant before he worked there.

Advertisement