Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing School Experience(+Cao Questio)

Options
  • 18-05-2003 3:59pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭

i woke up today (sunday) to have my dad tell me there was a call for me it was my classhead Ms Roberts-Byrne

she told me that we were officially finished and were not to come in for class on monday due to the drop in numbers leading up to the last offical school day.

i found this a sureal way to end my time in the school, i had wanted to be there and experience the last day, saw goodbye to people that may not be going to our graduation etc.. but no

has anyone else had similar experiencess or is it just my (Ex-)School

p.s: i was wondering if anyone could explain how places are offered through the Cao

i was told by a frien d(im not sure if this is right) that they offer you the top 2 prefered courses according to the Cao application you filled out that you got enough points for. is this ture?

or is it something else like you only get offered the one you get the points for highest up your list or you get offered everything on your list you get the points for

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

those bastards! i'd go mad if they did that to our year, we are gonna go ape with the eggs, waterguns, flour etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

You can be offered up to 5 courses. 1 Degree, 1 Dip/Cert and 1 Nursing course from each field (The 3 fields on the CAO form)

You will get offers from the highest ranked course on your CAO first, you are not guarnteed an offer in the first round.

Check out www.cao.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by ferdi
    those bastards! i'd go mad if they did that to our year, we are gonna go ape with the eggs, waterguns, flour etc.

Based on a comment like that, why do you think that students are released without any prior notice!!!!

Spare a thought for the cleaning staff who have to go around a school cleaning up flour, eggs, etc after idiots like you decide to have some "fun".

You might also consider the following - if you've been let go by the school, then you are no longer a student of the school. The school could take the approach (and some have) that teenagers who proceed to carry out the activities you are contemplating are trespassing on school property, cauing damage, etc and the school is quite within its rights to call the gardai and press charges.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Pfffft typical teacher :p

They wont tell us when school is finished but we assume its Monday. There is no real plans to do anything because our Graduation will be cancelled if we do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dude, all your school sucks :)

We had our graduation yesterday but there is classes on for the next week and a half.
    Next week, we're gona get the school captain, and throw him in the lake.

They[him and the vice captain] avoided it on friday with help from the principal, who called them out of class 20 minutes early, and told them to get the hell out of here, and they ran :)

Gona be great next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afair, our school had an offcial last day, where everyone kind of came and went as they wished, and the teachers just went into the classes in case anyone needed help. There was no big ceremony or anything. After that, the classes were still on (i.e. teachers were still available if you wanted them), but there was no requirement to come in. They always attempted to stifle the egss and flour crowd by saying school was finished a few days earlier, but somehow they always managed to preempt the school.

Having a Home Ec lab brimming with eggs and flour makes emergency resources available too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Egg fight between us and colaiste eanna. twas fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Schools do that sometimes to prevent the last day chaos.

Our school was actually class, they agreeded to let one of the bands (they'd played at school concerts and stuff for charity before which probably helped and are fairly responsible) borrow all the music equipment and bring it outside so we could have a concert, but then it rained :(

But! Our vice-principal then said "sure, just take over the assembly hall, i'll redirect all the classes in it to somewhere else" and so we got to mosh about in there in between running about in the rain, was mental craic :)

As for the CAO question, you will _only_ get offered course which you have listed as the HIGHEST PRIORITY, ie. if you get enough points for #1 then thats all you get offered in that catagory. But if you've several choices in several catagories (ie, degrees, diplomas,/....) you'll get offered the top one in each catagory.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Had our graduation last night, got home at 6.22 this morning. Woke up a 2.30... and now the damn tv is broken.

Ahhh..memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Last year our school captain got a bakers dozen worth of eggs thrown at him, then into the lake. When he got out the egg hadnt washed off at all !

If you are wondering about all these lake comments dont worry not every school has a lake just phb seamus and myself seem to have gone to the same place :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

and colaiste eanna won the battle more importantly. even and the expense of 12 commandos getting expelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Whywontitwrok

We did **NOTHING** to our school this year, NOTHING!! and our graduation was cancelled :eek:

The principle who iv always got along with and have always thought of as a really sound guy (which he is) Rang up the place where we were going and told them

" I cant promise you that there wont be trouble or underage drinking"

WTF!! We did nothin to the school or anyone or their belongings yet our grad is cancelled! That majorl pi55ed me off.

Well guess I gotta just knuckle down and work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Whywontitwrok
    Rang up the place where we were going and told them

" I cant promise you that there wont be trouble or underage drinking"

WTF!! We did nothin to the school or anyone or their belongings yet our grad is cancelled! That majorl pi55ed me off.

It's much more likely that THEY rang HIM up and asked if he could be sure that their wouldn't be trouble/underage drinking/general hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Whywontitwrok

Yes would seem the logical way but they had phoned him and the whole thing was organised we had bought our tickets and everything.

The mass is still on tho Hurray (sarcastic :D)

Advertisement