Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory management in ntvdm?

• 18-05-2003 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to run a dos game in W2K, but I get the following message:

Unable to run Frontier - no expanded memory (EMS) driver installed.
    Frontier requires 768K of expanded memory, and an EMS driver installed.

(Refer to your computer's DOS and system manuals for details of
    how to install an expanded memory device driver).

I've done a google for the message above and got nothing.

Anyone know how I can tweak the settings?

This paragraph explains how to get it working for most versions of windows. The 2K / XP tips don't help me unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

i didnt think you could tweak this..

ntvdm is nt virtual driver machine..

emulator for 16bit apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

thats a link to a progrma called vdms sound. its a dos sound emulator for win nt and abouve. it also has functions for dos memory manegment and slow down functions. i can run frontier perfectly with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks DiscoStu, I tried it but I get the same message. Are you running W2K or XP? Also is it frontier elite, or frontier first encounters you are running?

Thanks,
    merlin.

Got it working! Sound blaster and Ad lib emulation were enabled. Ad lib alone leaves enough memory to run it. Thanks again Stu, great summer ahead. ( Wouldn't think I have a final year exam on wednesday would ya. )

DiscoStu, have you tried getting FirstEncounter working using the same program? I have it but without sound.

<edit>

http://www.jaj22.demon.co.uk/download.html
    Has replacement executables to work on most platforms, including Linux, W2K, XP, Me, 98...

</edit>

• Advertisement
Advertisement