Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What motherboard should I buy???

• 18-05-2003 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

I just got a new case for my pc modding. I'm building it from scratch but my uncle isnt here to tell me what parts to buy. The main part i'm worried about is the motherboard and processor. What's the difference between Pentium/Athlon and Celeron??? And which one should I go for. Any help will be appreciated as I want to start buying parts soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

All depends on how much money you have?

AMD/Intel - At the moment Intel is the best(MY opinion before I get slaughtered by the AMD fans!!). I say this because there latest cgips are faster and can be heavily overclocked. However I dunno if you want to make a monster or entry level machine.

So how much cash do you have? And are you just buying mobo,cpu,ram or the whole chibang?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭kensutz

got a good bit of money lying around. it'll be a high spec gaming computer and this computer is being used for broadband and stuff like that. so what i'll be looking for is a mobo, processor, ram and graphics card. I can worry about the rest myself. Thanx for the help.

You still haven't said how much cash you have!!! Well heres the best stuff you could at the moment.

Abit IC7-G motherboard € 231.53
    Intel 3Ghz 800Mhz FSB P4 Processor €510.28
    Corsair 2x256Mb 400Mhz DDR Ram €204.70
    Geforce 5900 128MB Graphics card €544.27

All this comes to a total of €1490!!

That would be a monster of a machine! But you might only have a quarter of that. You'll have to give us a rough idea of what your prepared to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

i think we can all agree to forget celeron anyway!

I'd say about €1500+

• Advertisement

Well then your laughing. I'd say the parts I listed above are perfect. Just hang on a day or two and see what the others say.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Hey Guys (Stereo_steve)

May be you can help me out on this thread as well.

I've a 3 year old Gateway (never again!) and have always had trouble with my sound card & onboard USB on the machine.

(1g Athlon chip - 640mg RAM - 32mb Geforce3 - 20gig hard drive)

I'm reckoning that my motherboard is faulty. I've rebuilt it twice (system) - currently running win2000 SP3.

I want to get a new motherboard, chip & graphics card.

I'm thinking of this graphics card:

Creative Labs Geforce 4 Ti 64MB, 8x AGP, TV-OUT
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.asp?ck=1&r=1&action=info&s=pl&p=28943&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1

I saw this http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?q=GA-7VAXPU in peats, it looks good to me but then again I haven't a clue about motherboards or their compatibility with my corrent machine. It has USB 2, Firewire, 8x APG, onboard 5.1 sound.

Thinking of going with a 2.2mhz AMD chip.

Do you think this is a good board?
    Should it fit in my machine? (dumbass question - but I don't know)

Would you recommend something else?
    Would you recommend that I go the INTEL route?

What would you recommend (board, chip, 500mb Ram) for 400 to 600 euros?

Have you guys any links to help in replacing motherboards?

Any help or advice would be great.

This is to go in a Graphics & game machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

To pencil

this is what i'd do if i have 400-600 euros to spend

Processor

Motherboard

Graphics Card - By the way i got one of these and it's bloody brilliant for the price

for all of the above it comes to €516.76 + 13.63 for delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

kensutz I would say it would be a big waste of money buying those components stereo steve is talking about . They are great components but they are far too dear. I would sooner pick up a Intel 2.8GHz as it doesn't have the price premium of the 3GHz chip you are paying 168 for 200MHz .You could spend 160 on a 1.8GHz and overclock it too 3GHz .
    Also i recommend geting the TwinMoss 3200 2*256 for €89 it will do cas 2 at over 200MHz and is over half the price of the Corsair.

pencil i would recommend an nForce board like
    this

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=34155&t=845&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=10&GrpID=5&s=pl

the graphics card is good tho .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Im building one myself at the moment for about the same money

Im going for

Epox 8rda+ mobo
    crucial 512mb
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+ processor
    ATI 9800pro gfx

The great thing about the athlon is it would be perfect for your needs and you would save about 200euro for other nice equipment.You could get an Audigy 2 or 5.1 speakers or a nicer cse by ignoring the intel, you dont need hyper threading.

The epox board is supposed to be excellent especially for overclocking.

• Advertisement

Pencil.
    That board is a kt400 chipset I think.You would be better off going with an NForce 2 chipset like the board I mentioned above.
    Go to Komplett to check out the board its a cheap supplier too.
    Id personally say stick with AMD cheaper and you get all you need for gaming.

kensutz, What Babyeater said about it being expensive is true, however I think its worth it.

THe 3GHZ pentium 4 is a new chip. It has a FSB of 800mhz as opposed to the 2.8 which has a 533mhz. THis makes a HUGE difference. According to the reviews, its got nearly twice the memory bandwidth of previous chips. Also apparantly these guys can be hugely overclocked. Alot of people are getting it up to 4GHZ(mind you they are using watercooling,but still)

Like Babyeater said, I wouldn't normally go fo the top chip because you pay a premium which usually isn't worth it, however the new 3Gz chip I think is worth it because at the moment its by far the fastest chip

You said that you wanted to use your machine for gaming. So here are some gaming benchmarks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030414/i875p-19.html

You can see that both the 2.8Ghz and 3Ghz are both excellant chips Its up to you if you think the price difference is worth it.

Cheers everyone,

Okay I'm thinking..

EPoX EP-8RDA3+ mainboard Socket A, LAN
    nForce2SPP/MCP-T/Ultra 400,1394,USB2.0

(BabyEater & Chowley) Do you all reckon the NVidia nForce2 SPP Chipset Type is better? can you tell me why?
    (I really am going on you guys/gals opinions as I only can tell the high end differences).

AMD Athlon XP2500+ 1.833 GHz 333 MHz bus
    Socket A (Barton) processor, 512kb BOXED

Asus V9280 GeForce4 Ti4200-8X 128MB DDR - (cheers Cr3m0 - looks good)

Which all comes to EUR 459

Two more questions:

1. Can you see any conflicts with my above choices?

2. Or would anyone make any modifications or other recommendations?

Cheers for you help so far... boards is great.

(P.s I'm holding off on the really dumbass questions for later - it would probably be a lot easier for me to just buy a computer but Fu@k it - I want to learn about this stuff.)

I am basically going on reviews of magazines I trust.
    The NForce 2 chipset is generally believed to be the quicker chipset but the KT400 is good too.
    I have decided on the Epox because it supposed to be an excellent board and great for overclocking to quote PC pro,

"It offers tremendous flexibility and is stable efven at massively overclocked speeds.And its fast even at standard speeds too, making it an ideal all round choice."

Its BIOS allows you to adjust the CPU multiplier straight out of the box, you can lock the AGP port at 66mhz to aid stability.It also gives you great control over CPU voltage in increments of .025V.

I would also recommend the coolermaster Aero7 CPU cooler which is great for non-overclocked systems as well as overclocked.You can set the fan speed control in either a pci slot or 3.5" slot.

The gfx card is good bu if you have more money to spend maybe go for a 9700pro or see what the 9600 pro turns out like.
    I dont know what to do myself when it comes to the GFX, I was content with the Idea of the 9800pro but after seeing the GForce FX5900 Ultra Im not so sure just have to wait and see.

But that combination you have looks good.
    Pretty much any of the current AMD or Intel chips will be sufficient for any applications you want to run.You really dont even need to go for the upper end chips like the P4 3ghz chip or the forthcoming Athlon XP 3200+ it will be a while before your average computer user will need these chips.

What type of memory are you going to use?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Get your ram from England, a 512 pc2100 ddr is £39.95 sterling(see here) which'd work out no more that €70 on your credit card bill, get two of those, Imagine 1gig of Ram, I'm gonna get those when i get the chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Komplett have 512mb Pc2100 ram for €53 See Here they also have corsair 512mb - for €58 !! Im thinkin thats quite a good price :)

stereo i was talking about the 800fsb version of the 2.8GHz chip as you can get all the way down to 2.4GHz chips with 800MHz fsb.

Pencil the nForce boards are quicker than the KT400 's some like the ASUS Delux and the Abit NF7-S have brilliant onboard sound , SATA

A BIG big 'Thank You' to everyone (especially Chowley)

Still a bit daunting but going to talk the plunge.

You you guys think I'll have any problems replacing an existing Gateway motherboard with the above kit above?

I'll get that Fan Chowley.

Again the range of RAM is daunting.
    Is komplett's '512mb Pc2100 ram for €53' for 53euro a good choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

TBH, the one thing you want, is to match the running FSB of the mobo/ram/CPU, so you remove most of the possible bottlenecks.
    I would suggest getting the following:

CPU:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=32320&t=795&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=4&GrpID=6&s=pl

MOBO:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=30413&t=845&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=10&GrpID=5&s=pl

RAM, 2 of these:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=30121&t=1014&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=17&GrpID=9&s=pl

And if your going to wait a while before you buy the PC, it might be a good idea to wait for the next gen of Vcards this summer/3Q? Otherwise i would recommend the ATI 9700 Pro

Althought these are not all the latest items (400fsb barton to come and the ram could be 3200(400) ), they will deliver quite a performance.

My couple hundred 2 cent worth...

The Amateur shows his hands!

Myg, what is the 'FSB'?

Is it the Mhz rate on each piece?

AMD Athlon XP2800+ 2.083 GHz 333 MHz bus

Asus A7N8X mainboard for Socket A
    nForce2SPP/MCP/Ultra 400,ATX,USB2.0,LAN
    &

TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2
    Memory184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz)

The ATI is a bit out of my range.

You think I'll have any problems replacing an existing Gateway motherboard with the above kit above?

Cheers

• Advertisement

I would go for the 3200 CL2.5 instead of the 2700 as it will run as CL2 and has the headroom incase Pencil ever wants to overclock

FSB is front side bus.

What type of case is your gateway, I presume it would be a tower unless it was a business PC in which case it could be a desktop case (I forget the technical names for these cases) but if it is a tower you should have no problems.

I dont think he would really need to o/c his ram, as the bottleneck would most likely be his video card.

BUT i would be worried about the PSU.... These manu's like DELL mess with their PSUs so they only work on their specific boards.

Hi all,

Instead of this:
    Asus V9280 GeForce4 Ti4200-8X 128MB DDR
    AGP 8X, (V9280/TD) DVI, Tv-Out

EUR 156.54

I have been doing some reading and the GeForce4 Ti4800SE is suppose to be the european version of the Ti4600,which gets good ratings - anyone have opinions on this? Which one of the two below would you go for the: Gainward or Creative?

Creative 3DBlas. GeForce4 Ti4800SE 128MB
    AGP, 128MB 3,6ns DDR,TV-Out, DVI, Retail

Gainward AGP GeForce4 Ti4800SE 128MB DDR
    "Ultra/750-8X XP Golden Sample"

Bought 'Computer Technology' mag it had a review of the
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe/GD mainboard got a great review - so based on your recemmendation & this I will go with this - end of story - will stop looking at mobo now (thank F).
    EUR 145.75

Had a good poke at the gateway (model ATXSTF) case last night & it doesn't look like the mobo is replaceable - everything is riveted to the casing & their is no removeable back plate for the external connectors. Don't know about the PSU.

I think I'll have to buy a new case - any recommendations?

Cheers chowley (FSB) will do some reading.

(babyeater I've no idea what your talking about - have done searches on '3200 CL2.5' - to no avail, any chance you can expand?)

Take note of the following.

GF4 ti 4200 - 8x = Ti4200 with 8* agp
    GF4 ti 4800SE = Ti4400 with 8* agp
    GF4 ti 4800 = Ti4600 with 8* agp

RAM speeds:

2100 - 266
    2700 - 333
    3200 - 400

CL * (usualy 2 or 2.5)- Cas Latency, * = the amount of cycles the ram goes through before actualy reading the information. So lower is better, but some tests claim there is little difference in performance.

Well if you are looking for a really nice looking case that is very well built and probably the most user friendly case around then the Thermaltake Xaser III os about the best around.That is the case i am gonna buy for myself.
    The blue Xaser III with window.
    If you dont want a flashy case you should probably stay away.
    If you want ease of use this is no tools required and it really means unlike most cases.Great airflow too.
    If you attend LAN parties then go for the alluminium case,nice and light.
    Maybe a bit steep regarding price at €180 inc. VAT but it really is well worth it.Great case.
    Check it out.

Elara

Thermaltake

Get a review at: Hardcoreware.net (Xaser III review) :ninja:

Ok. I'm gonna get this processor so I need advice on a mobo for it.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=29076&t=795&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=4&GrpID=6&s=pl

Thanks guys for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dood

Currently got a p4 1.5ghz , i850 motherboard with 256mb of RDRAM.
    Thinking of getting the following from www.microdirect.co.uk although Komplett are looking fairly competitive at the mo

Intel® Pentium® 4 2.8GHz [800MHz] 512Kcache Retail inc.Fan[3 yr.war] £229.13 inc vat
    - dont think the 3 gig is worth the xtra cash

Abit IC7 P4 Intel® 875P 800FSB 8xAGP +Serial ATA RAID +Firewire + USB2 +6 ch. Audio Dual ch. DDR400 - £116.33 inc vat

2x256MB DDR PC3200 400MHz + Alum. heat spreader [branded Geil] - £ 28.20 each inc vat

ATI Radeon 9700 PRO - £ 222.08 inc vat

350W Enermax adjustable fan speed PSU with active PFC -
    £ 42.30 inc vat

hopefully ill be able to play Doom3 and HL2 satisfactorily on a rig like that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Dood, just so you know, someone (well, ok me) is selling P4 cpus on the Forsale board here:

P4 2.66 for €140 or a 2.8 for €240
    Both 533MHz FSB models.

Bear the Forsale board in mind for system building, sometimes you can get parts for pretty good prices.

kensutz, the Abit NF7 2.0 (nforce2) is a nice board with lotsa "deluxe" addons (comes with the Abit Seriall adapter, RAID, Dolby D sound). Just be aware of the compatibility problems with all nForce motherboards, havent experienced any myself, but they are there. A good cheap board would be the Abit KD7 (KT400) or any KT400a board when available.

Matt

• Advertisement

Ok. I'm gonna get this processor so I need advice on a mobo for it.

Im building a system myself and im gonna go for the XP 2800+ processor and an epox 8rda+ NForce2 based board.Its a really great board.

Epox 8rda+ from Komplett

:ninja:

Advertisement