Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What motherboard should I buy???

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by Chowley

Elara

Thermaltake

Get a review at: Hardcoreware.net (Xaser III review) :ninja:

Im gonna pick me up one of these case's only in black. Talk about one awsome looking case :)

Just wondering where is the best place to pick one of these up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

They are sexy cases arent they Im gonna get a blue one me thinks.
    The only place I have seen them in Ireland is Elara to be honest I havent looked around that much for them they dont have it in Komplett and it is a reasonable price.:D

They are sexy cases arent they Im gonna get a blue one me thinks.
    The only place I have seen them in Ireland is Elara to be honest I havent looked around that much for them they dont have it in Komplett and it is a reasonable price.:D

Cheers bro. Yeah Elara do seem to be my best option so there going to be getting my business :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

If youre into overclocking ... have a look at this page on www.sysopt.com , one of those new fangled 2.4C P4's on an Abit IC7 board and vapochilling ...got it up to 3.6Ghz ... thats a whopper of an increase .... 50%!! ...

I saw somewhere else that some guy had got his 2.4C on an Abit board up to 3Ghz with the intel supplied cooling ... (I remember he said he played 4 hours of Ut2k with no probs)

Hopefully my order with Komplett will be filled on Monday, and I'll have mine next week .... woohoo

I had ordered an Abit IC7 M/B just before I read you post :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

if you are looking at the ti 4800se cards, i was seriously going to go for one of those but i am now going for the basic 9700 non-pro for €260
    but if you are going for the gainward card its not a ti 4400 its a ti 4200 overclocked so watch yourself there, but they reviews say that its not too much of a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Epox 8rda+ from Komplett

:ninja: [/B]

i was thinking of getting one of these too but a load of reviews that i've read have said this board has serious overheating issues when the fsb is being pushed up to the 200mhz mark. The passive heat sink on the northbridge has terrible thermal past between them and you need get a new heatsink + fan to keep it under control and even then stability is an issue.

"So what, i'm not an o'cer" ye might say but this means ye'll probably have to buy a new mb if you want to upgrade to a 400mhz fsb athon xp when they come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

117905 Q-Tec Power supply ATX 400W Gold PFC
    - Power supply AMD/P4, Dual Fan (UK) In stock: 50-99 1 44,03 44,03
    116056 MSI DVD rom IDE 16x/48x (D16)
    - Bulk In stock:
    100+ 1 40,30 40,30
    118389 TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB CL2
    - 32M*8/8chip, 184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz) In stock: 20-49 2 51,09 102,18
    118256 Asus P4P800 Mainboard for S478/800mhz
    - I865PE, Dual DDR, SATA, sou, ATA100, LAN In stock: 50-99 1 139,62 139,62
    117312 Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz Boxed PC800
    - Socket PGA478, 512kB "Northwood" In stock: 20-49 1 215,52 215,52

Shipping: 16,86
    Total: 558,51
    VAT: 96,93

Well above is what i am getting from komplett.ie, i really think its worth spending the extra mney on the p4 with 800mhz fsb, because it beats the pants of any amd that is around the same price.

As for the motherboard, initally I was gonna go for the ABIT IC7 which is based on a canterwood chipset, but seeing as Asus have unlocked PAT on Springdale the chipset,o giving it nearly equal performance at a much better price,

AS for the €1500 guy, you have the world at your fingertips ye lucky **** :p I am not well up on the gfx situation atm but afail the radeon 9800 kicks the geforce fx 5800's ass. I dunno about the 5900. There is nop need for you to go budget on a processor, which means the 3ghz pentium w/fsb of 800mhz all the way!,
    And make sure you get 400mhz ddr in a pair so you can use dual ddr :P

the above will be paired with myy geforce4 ti4600 that i bought when they were the bee's knees. Now thats a spicy meatball :P

The 5900 kicks the 9800 senseless.

I was gonna go for the 9800pro until i read about the 5900 ultra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Im looking for a case myself. Just see yis talking bout the ones on Elara. I cant seem to find any cases at all on that site.

What are they under??

• Advertisement

Here

There ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Originally posted by Scruff
    i was thinking of getting one of these too but a load of reviews that i've read have said this board has serious overheating issues when the fsb is being pushed up to the 200mhz mark. The passive heat sink on the northbridge has terrible thermal past between them and you need get a new heatsink + fan to keep it under control and even then stability is an issue.

"So what, i'm not an o'cer" ye might say but this means ye'll probably have to buy a new mb if you want to upgrade to a 400mhz fsb athon xp when they come out.
    I planned to get one of the EPoX EP-8RDA+ mobos too but have changed my mind after reading your piece.

What would you advise as a better socket A mobo?
    115646 Abit KD7-S mainboard for Socket A (DDR)
    - VIAKT400, S-ATA, ATX, USB2.0, LAN, AGP8X
    €80.65?

TBH, when I look at all of the Abit mobos, i can see very little difference.. why the big price difference?
    Was thinking of just going for the cheapest one (€80.60).. is that a bad/good idea?

Of all the reviews I have read about the 8rda+ not one has mentioned overheating and they werent all website reviews either which I am learning not to be too trusting of stick with the epox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey , the abit boards are all pretty well spec'd . If your looking for a good board with pretty much everything an ordinary user wants go for the Abit KD7, there easy to fit and have good on board sound.

Dont think the "200 fsb" will be a problem for you unless your overclocking. There is only one Amd chip that needs that (xp3200+) , and last i heard that was the last chip amd were makin of the Xp's - clawhammer comming out in sept.

If your going to be overclocking spend the little extra and get the ic7.

Advertisement