Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow surfing

Options
  • 19-05-2003 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I dont know if this is really a problem but no harm in asking

I have win 2000, 56k modem

Th last few days while i was surfing the net i noticed that my comp is constantly sending data over the internet. it never used to do this before when i had win 98 and i have noticed when im surfing it takes longer to display pages.

I havent uploaded anything in ages... Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Looks like something is trawling your harddrive - thats about 10 megs uploaded. Have you downloaded any disreputable (by source) software recently? Including those annoying *exe funnies?

Update your virus protection for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

you could try using SPYBOT this is similar to Adware but much better updates are out every 2 weeks, give it a try and see what it finds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Sounds like something dodgy installed as above. You could also install a firewall and this will tell you where outbound conections are going and allow you to block them It should tell you what application is making the outbound connection as well.

It's possible you have network sharing installed and running and someone is accessing your pc via this. There is a netwatcher program that comes with win2000, under Computer Management->shared folders. This will show you any activity on the microsoft file and printer sharing front.

If your administrator password is blank, or a simple one like administrator etc, then change it.

do a netstat -a on the command line when you are on the internet and look for any suspicious applications listening/established. You can paste the output here if you can't make any sense of it..

And as above, update your virus stuff.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by tech
    you could try using SPYBOT this is similar to Adware but much better updates are out every 2 weeks, give it a try and see what it finds

Thx tech dled that spybot thing and i was riddled with spyware, gator etc, took them all out and the nets running a bit faster now

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

haha i knew it was spyware s***t!!
    i love spybot search and destroy aswell
    its an excellent proggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Just tested my spyware freemachine with bf1942, guess what everything works just as it did before, no lag nothing and my pings seemed to have dropped a notch more than they were before, down around the 120 mark

God if i had of known this 2 weeks ago when this started I would have saved my self all this aggravation of not playing online gaming, my main reason for having the net in the first place

damn im so happy i could cry

hope man eating cow dles that proggy pronto, its brilliant, so brilliant infact im thinking of making a donation

Ah playing desert combat again sheer bliss

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Man eating cow

jesus lads thanks a million i would have never have thought about getting spybot,

cheers again lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gator is the most bandwidth hungry piece of ****. I was lagging a lot in CS and i went out of the game after realising that I have just installed divx 5.03 pro and ran ad-aware found gator, deleted it went back into the game, the lag disppeared completely

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

It could be something to do with Windows Online Update. Make sure you don't have this set up to download automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No thats off, that used to bug the hell out of me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement