Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Na G thius morning . 2Mb costs €100k a year in Donegal.

Options
  • 19-05-2003 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

....from Eircom of course. The rest of them woiuld quote ya €95k a year I suppose as a favour.

The curse of the long tail from the Eircom pop struck in Gaoth Dobhair, €100k for a 2Mb leased line per annum was the quote. Remember ANU in Westport being charged €33k a year for a 512k line . They moved to Galway where they got 1Mb a year for €23K. Thats because the tail cost dropped from 80-90KM down to 5Km. That second story Is Here from last December. The nearest pop to Gaoth Dobhair (Letterkenny ISTR)is 60Km away I think but Pat "The Cope" was a bit confuseled when he got on to soundbite us.

Pat claimed that negotiations were ongoing about Broadband in the NW Donegal Gaeltacht with Eircom , along O2 AND Digifone AND Ocean at the moment ..... the moment being the 19 05 2003 . Hear him yourself Here on Adhmhaidin, Scéalta an Tuaiscirt section. 1 Hour in outta 1 hour and 13 mins total.

I switched over. Plus Ca Change Pat.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Last quote i got in donegal town was for a 256k leased line and was going to cost 26k per year, last time i was looking for 2mb was about 3 years ago and i was quoted 86k (punt) BUT i couldn't have that on ATM only on frame relay which meant ]that was it i couldn't up the speed if i needed to.
    I can't see how ocean (who ?) or digifone will be any different because they'll still have their pops in letterkeny and guess who's fibre you'll have to use to get to the POP !!!! you'll still get shafted by eircom, even if they had their own fibre you'll still pay a similiar amount because they know eircom won't charge any less so they'll charge 10 k less than eircom. you need a decent SDSL line to reduce the costs significantly.

open you business in donegal and get shafted by everyone !!!!!
    is it suprising all the businesses are closing and no one is opening here
    remember Derry has 3 different DSL providers !!!!!
    at UK prices !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by ednwireland
    at UK prices !!!!

NEWS FLASH:

Boarders go to derry with a large real of ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Sure the western ditigal corridor will sort this out. ... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just wondering how much bandwidth is already going wirelessly across the border esp. from Derry

MDR - Western digital corridor are you taking the p**s if it does ever happen it will die at about sligo and may run through alway limerick and cork, all towns with more than one provider (even if it is EShat)

haven't you noticed donegal is in the north west not the west -its a not very subtle distinction

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Last quote i got in donegal town was for a 256k leased line and was going to cost 26k per year, last time i was looking for 2mb was about 3 years ago and i was quoted 86k (punt) BUT i couldn't have that on ATM only on frame relay which meant ]that was it i couldn't up the speed if i needed to.
    I can't see how ocean (who ?) or digifone will be any different because they'll still have their pops in letterkeny and guess who's fibre you'll have to use to get to the POP !!!! you'll still get shafted by eircom, even if they had their own fibre you'll still pay a similiar amount because they know eircom won't charge any less so they'll charge 10 k less than eircom. you need a decent SDSL line to reduce the costs significantly.

at UK prices !!!!

I think I can remember Martin Harran saying here some time ago that he had looked for ISDN connection in Donegal Town but that he couldn't get it because whatever exchange he was linked to wasn't even ISDN ready! If it was for his shop, it would be quite ironic considering the Eircom offices are just across the road from his shop! :rolleyes:

Heck, I live in a village between Donegal and Ballyshannon and have ISDN. I won't hold my breath for ADSL though, either here or in Donegal Town!

God of Almighty though, the prices for leased lines are ludicrous to say the least! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

MDR - Western digital corridor are you taking the p**s if it does ever happen it will die at about sligo and may run through alway limerick and cork, all towns with more than one provider (even if it is EShat)

haven't you noticed donegal is in the north west not the west -its a not very subtle distinction

He IS taking the piss, MDR deserves to be seriously 'moderated' for that one :D

The Western Digital Corridor, a magnificent 48 pair fibre laid underground and stretching from Dublin-Galway-then SOUTH to - Shannon-Limerick-Dublin is sitting in the ground for 3 years or so. It is unlit and has never been used.

It could carry all the data requirements of the West and Midwest for the next 20 years.

NW Donegal has its own equivalent of the WDC fibre sitting in the ground unused, the taxpayer paid over some €3m to lay it in 1999/2000 but Eircom wants more (much much more) taxpayers money to actually light the damn thing. It was actually the first of the infamous "Fibre Rings" ahhhhhhh the Memories .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Just wondering how much bandwidth is already going wirelessly across the border esp. from Derry

To my knowledge, in the Buncrana area, 2Megs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

You mean Letterkenny isn't in Limerick ? :D

Thanks for the enlightenment, would love to get in contact with those peeps hooked up to that wireless two meg cross border pipe, would make a good story to brow beat politians with.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

I'll talk to the guys and see what they're using. They're going to be offering a few products to, around €30 for a 64kbps / 64kbps 24/7 home connection and about 79 (i'm not sure if thats euro or sterling yet) for a 256kbps / 128 kbps business connection with higher speeds going to be available soon to. That's not including hardware and stuff though. A company locally pay €5947 excl. VAT for a 128k private leased line (no net connection, just direct networking between shops) between Buncrana and Dublin from eircon to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Well I know a few operators that would shoot radio SDH into the North for a lot less and than €100k......EsatBt / NTL come to mind?

Depends on distance etc....

Just a thought...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A 155Mbs connection to New York !
    (it's $10,000 per month )

Page 4 of May 2003 Compuscope

And the cable runs past Donegal....

Digital divide - what digital divide ?

i have sitting next to me a omni directional arial and a planar aerial cost 100 euro 11mb over 1.5 km line of sight all i need is some cheap bandwidth somewhere to hook it upto

Advertisement