Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP2400+ & Mobo

• 19-05-2003 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Heya guys. I've been looking through some of the recent threads and some reviews on various sites but I can't pinpont which motherboard best suits me.

I'm buying a nice XP2400+ from Komplett for €110. I've been looking at the MSI KT4 Ultra FISR (€138), Abit KD7 (€93) & the Asus A7V8X-X (€82). Anyone have any preferences/opinions on any of the above?

I'm not particularly interested in any of the nForce motherboards. I am looking for some degree of future upgrading ability with whatever board I buy now though.

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

ive had horrible experiences with the msi tech support with on of my old mainboards, so i wouldn't resommend their board, both asus and abit make great products but id go for the asus

theres an article on www.tomshardware.com from a few months back with a roundup of the via chipset boards which should give you an idea of the performance

you should also look into the nforce 2 boards, theyre better boards in performance and feature terms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea id agree wit you. MSI have given me problems - never again. The Abit KD7 is a dream of a motherboard , soo easy to work with, Supports all the latest processors, Full DDR ram , Very good for overclocking. I also have the ASUS a7n8x havent had any problems at all, great motherboard. Instructions arent that great if its ur first time building a pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Try get the same manufacturer for your motherboard and your graphics card. E.g. ASUS mobo & ASUS gfx card.

I'd recomment the A7N8X Delux... also, supports up to XP3200 and lots of nice bits n bobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by STaN
    Try get the same manufacturer for your motherboard and your graphics card. E.g. ASUS mobo & ASUS gfx card.
    Why?

I'd recomment the A7N8X Delux... also, supports up to XP3200 and lots of nice bits n bobs

Isn't there something about the VIA chipsests regarding double-sided ram (ie chips on both sides of the stick)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe is prob the best socket A mobo on the market Supports the 400mhz FSB (xp3200) , Double sided ram is no problem believe me, and it has great sound. That double sided ram problem is very rare!! But for €93 you wont find a better board than the Abit KD7. A7N8X Deluxe if u have the €142

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

I have to pimp the ASUS A7N8X as well, it is a beautiful board. I've never had any problems with it.
    -Jam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Thanks for the responses, guys. There seems to be a few good words about the Asus Deluxe board. I'll look into it some more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I love me Abit NF7-s Rev.2 if you are overclocking if not the ASUS has good features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Why?

There has been issue with cross manufacturer gfx cards and motherboards in the past. I wouldn't truse an expensive new nvidia card made by ABIT in a ASUS motherboard. ASUS i'm sure tweak all their hardware to work well with their hardware. Why? Cause well their hardware HAS to work in their own. So its a guarentee. And with a difference in price of maybe a €10max i think its worth it. Same goes for chipsets.

Nvidia on the GPU and controlling the CPU can only be a good thing.

Isn't there something about the VIA chipsests regarding double-sided ram (ie chips on both sides of the stick)? [/B]

The A7N8X / A7N8X delux are based around the variant nForce2 chipsets

Advertisement