Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on building extension

Options
  • 19-05-2003 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

2 years ago we bought a 2nd-hand (5yr old) 3bed semi. It came with planning permission and plans to build 2 more bedrooms and a shower room over the existing converted garage. We're now thinking of doing this (partly because we have twins on the way).

Never having done anything like this before can anyone give any advice on how to go about getting a quote? Should I get an architect and let him look after getting a builder and inspecting it or do I just need to get a quote from a builder.

Is there anything extra I need before I do any of this?

TIA for any advice offered.

btw - if this is the wrong forum my apologies - it's the closest I could find.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Really it all depends on your level of knowledge, and your faith in the builder.

For a fee the architect will stand over the result, but a reputable building firm will equally be able to do that.

How closely do you want to be involved is another issue, will you be getting some of the materials yourselves for instance or will you just be handing everything over to the people you do employ.

Getting a builder shouldn't be too hard, but never take anyone without a reference, and go talk to the people he's done work for before, a good one will facilitate this. If you do use an architec, they'll undoubtably be able to give recommendations.

The other thing to bear in mind is that they will never finish on the original date - they'll be late. And you will be putting up with a fair amount of disruption to your homelife.

BTW good luck with the twins, my sis had em recently, be prepared for no sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They is a slight VAT advantage to running as much of the job as possible through the builder.
    Originally posted by Macros42
    2 years ago we bought a 2nd-hand (5yr old) 3bed semi. It came with planning permission and plans to build 2 more bedrooms and a shower room over the existing converted garage.
    It is quite possible your planning permission has expired - check the original grant of permission (usually a 2-4 page document on council notepaper). If it has expired, just reapply with the same basic documents for a modest fee.
    We're now thinking of doing this (partly because we have twins on the way).
    No - babies or extension - not both at the same time. If you have the minimum necessary (extra room(s) for twins and spare WC - she'll need it), I would wait until well after the twins are born. Last thing you want is looking after 4 babies (2 twins, house and builder) and a screaming woman, all of them needing money. Are you well off enough (or have family she can move in with) that you can move out during construction. Do you have other kids?
    Never having done anything like this before can anyone give any advice on how to go about getting a quote? Should I get an architect and let him look after getting a builder and inspecting it or do I just need to get a quote from a builder.
    You should have someone on your side who can beat up the builder if necessary, without you being the bad guy. Architects tend to wants things “noice”, while a surveyor or engineer can do much the same job. Who drew up the drawings for the original extension, the vendor’s architect of the original builder? Do you think they might be suitable? I am a quantity surveyor, but am wary of such work.
    Is there anything extra I need before I do any of this?
    Talk to your bank manager. How are you going to finance this? From savings or a new mortgage (may get extra tax relief). If you have an accountant, spend 5 minutes with him on the implications of either route. Sit back and ask if all goes wrong, “can we still survive?”
    TIA for any advice offered. Is btw - if this is the wrong forum my apologies - it's the closest I could find.
    No problems with it here, you could also post on accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Originally posted by Victor
    It is quite possible your planning permission has expired -
    No - babies or extension - not both at the same time. Do you have other kids?
    Who drew up the drawings for the original extension, the vendor’s architect of the original builder?
    How are you going to finance this? From savings or a new mortgage (may get extra tax relief).

The permission is valid until August 2004. If we do it it will be next summer possibly. I think the vendor's architect drew up the plans - I'll have to check that. As for finance - we have a fair amount of equity in the house so a remortgage will cover the work hopefully.

We'd be letting the builder/architect look after the lot - I've no experience or practical knowledge in building/construction so there's no point in me supervising it. My partner's step-father works in construction so he will probably be able to recommend someone and/or inspect the work. I have to chat to him about it as well.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The permission is valid until August 2004.
    Check, some were retroactively reduced form 5-year to 2-year permissions (to stop builders sitting on them).

Advertisement