Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****tness

• 19-05-2003 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

just wanted to say that i dont think the line up at this years wittness feestival is any great shakes....i suppose it would have been hard to come up with a line up that matched last year which was awesome. all though i prob will still go for the craic its nothing much to look forward to....does anyone agree.
    slane should be okay but i aint goin to it
    i think the gig of the year will be mettalica and linkin park at trhe RDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

Yeah, I agree with the lineup. I'm supposing the reason for the lack of real rock bands lies with the managers of Scotland's T in the Park Festival, which is held over the same weekend as Witnness and is a main draw for good acts. At the beginning of 2003, a T in the Park associate said "to reduce moshing and crowd surfing, the lineup will be toned down this year." So that somewhat explains the weak list of acts.

However, I will most likely go on the Sunday, its a good day with some bands that I really want to see. I feel Saturday is really poor, with not many acts that I would bother to go to. (ie. Sugababes and Appleton)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Hopefully I will be going to all three (Witnness, Slane and Metallica). Think I am looking forward to Slane the most - just hoping the Chilis make up for a really dissapointing gig last time out at Lansdowne. I haven't been to Witnness before, so I'm not sure what to expect there - I've heard only good things though and the lineup is seems pretty good to me.

I still find it hard to see any of them living up to Radiohead the other night though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I was all set for Reading Festival, and then it sold out :( . I agree though. Witnness is pi$$ poor this year. If Reading does manage to get itself over to Offaly(I think that's the place??) next year it'll be mental. I'm gonna head to Witnness anyway. It's always a bit of a laugh.

Dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

Are Mogwai Stil PLayin at witnness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭barney_clergy

yeah the line up is brutal for witness and as for slane im going to see the foos pj harvey and qotsa all making bits of the chillis they have sold out more than u2 did with their new album it should just be called play it safe and get the bucks

www.clergymusic.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

The Witness line is probably sucks if you're only into rock, but imo this is the best witness line-up I've ever seen.

Keyword is "relax" though.. soooooo many easy-listening, singer-song-writer, chillout, easy going artists at it. Not for someone looking for "Big" bands; maybe for someone more cultured ;)

I'm with greenbean on this one - There is no huge names there but there is lots of smaller acts that I'm looking forward to seeing. The Roots and the Super Furry Animals to name just two.

Didn't notice Mogwai on the list - but they still get added, could they?

Originally posted by barney_clergy
    yeah the line up is brutal for witness and as for slane im going to see the foos pj harvey and qotsa all making bits of the chillis they have sold out more than u2 did with their new album it should just be called play it safe and get the bucks
    Both U2 and the Chillis are ageing bands. Chillis are around since 84 and U2 longer. While their music may have managed to be fresh for many years you can't really expect the creative spark to remain as vivid as it has been for 20 years or so.

Personally I like the current Chillis' album and don't see it as being any closer a sell out than Californication (which although quite good, got on my tits due to hearing it practically everywhere). Yes I am sad that they are not producing stuff of the same quality they used to, but I don't see it as selling out just because they are mellowing in their later years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Looking forward to the Super Furry Animals too. Witnness line-up can look really good but your really only going to get see 4 or 5 bands unless you run around like a lunatic trying to see them all. Any word on times yet? last year i remeber someone had the schedule out early, only when you see that can you see how good its goin to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Ok then, which bands will you just have to see, ie - even if they clash with another band you really want to see. For me, Royksopp, Turin Brakes, Nightmares on Wax & Coldplay. Hoping theres no major clashes amongst those.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Greenbean
    Ok then, which bands will you just have to see, ie - even if they clash with another band you really want to see. For me, Royksopp, Turin Brakes, Nightmares on Wax & Coldplay. Hoping theres no major clashes amongst those.
    Will have the chance to see Royksopp and Coldplay at Hurricane next month - so they would miss out for me if clashing with another band. I'll be quite interested to see Lemon Jelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I like the Witnness linup, i'm looking forward to seeing Coldplay, The Streets, David Grey, White stripes etc

I'd like to see REM there but they're playing in MArlay Park which is across the road from me so i'll gust sneek in like every year.

I've also got tickets for Slane so i'm happy

Witnness should be about seeing bands you don't normally get the chance to see. Like you can see The Frames, Damien Rice etc. anytime so these would be the bands i'd really like to see in no partcular order:

Saturday
    The Thrills(could probably see them anytime but haven't seen them yet)
    Echo & The Bunnymen
    The Coral
    The Streets
    Badly Drawn Boy
    Coldplay

Sunday
    The Flaming Lips
    Zwan
    Polyphonic Spree
    Super Furry Animals
    Beth Orton
    David Gray
    White Stripes
    Manic Street Preachers

The main band for me would be The White Stripes i think.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭gusto

How can a line up that includes the Manics be classed as poor. I only hope that MCD don't f**k it up and have them playing before The White Stripes and David "put me to sleep" Gray.

Fingers crossed they will be headlining the second stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by gusto
    How can a line up that includes the Manics be classed as poor.

Quite easily I imagine. Its not that far from the truth.

On a related subject, how can you judge the line-up on the inclusion of one act? What price are the tickets, 110 Euro? Am I wrong in thinking a lot of people were bitching about paying that to see Neil Young in Vicar Street?

As for slot on the bill...all the print media ads for Witnness list Coldplay, David Gray, and The White Stripes ahead of the Manics. David Gray is headlining the Sunday night, that means Main Stage for him. I'm guessing, but the emphasis given to The White Stripes in promotion suggests they'll get a better place on the bill than the Manics.

On a related subject, how can you judge the line-up on the inclusion of one act? What price are the tickets, 110 Euro? Am I wrong in thinking a lot of people were bitching about paying that to see Neil Young in Vicar Street?

Are u saying u think 110euro is expensive/cheap? Thats for a 2 day ticket and i can safely say its the best music for money of the year.......105 Neil Young, no support....80+ Paul McCartney, no support.......110, 2 full days of good music.

Originally posted by comet
    Are u saying u think 110euro is expensive/cheap? Thats for a 2 day ticket and i can safely say its the best music for money of the year.......105 Neil Young, no support....80+ Paul McCartney, no support.......110, 2 full days of good music.
    Looking forward to Witness and I think its good value - not the best though.

Going to Hurricane in Germany in June, and if you overlook the cost of getting there - the price of the festival is a lot better.

85euro, (camping included in that) and its over three days.

Radiohead, Colplay, Guana Apes, Zwan, Bjork, Massive Attack, The Roots, Underworld, Counting Crows, Asian Dub Foundation (David Hasselhof, The Kelly Family - only jokin!)

Originally posted by comet

No, I agree with you. I was just pointing out that the ticket costs 110 Euro, and I think that the inclusion of the Manics (or any one band for that matter) on its own is not enough to justify spending that sort of money.

I happen to think the line-up is slightly weak, but there are plenty of bands still playing I'd like to see, especially if ADF are playing.

Originally posted by therecklessone
    I happen to think the line-up is slightly weak, but there are plenty of bands still playing I'd like to see, especially if ADF are playing.
    I don't think ADF are playing unfortunately. The list of bands I printed are playing in Hurricane, not witnness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think the lineup is actaully pretty class, depends wot your into tho.

If its alt indie type stuff then you`r sorted

The Music
    White Stripes
    The Datsuns
    Beth Orton
    Sugarbabes ;)
    Supergrass
    Badly Drawn Boy
    Manic`s

....more

Tis good, the whole 3 day event thing as well.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by p.pete
    I don't think ADF are playing unfortunately. The list of bands I printed are playing in Hurricane, not witnness.

Yeah, I copped that as soon as I posted my reply. Then when I tried to edit the post to remove the offending line my computer crashed so I just gave up...:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I am going to go against you on this,
    this year I have seen the best witenness line-up ever.
    because I am into dance music, and quite a few of my fav dj's are on the line-up,
    Believe me if you have the right crowd for the underworld live set, you will have a time to remember. the chaps are unbelievable live.

Advertisement