Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

changes to bike licences....??

Options
  • 19-05-2003 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

anyone here know anything about any changes last november to the bike licences?

i only ask this as i drive a drag star xvs650 on a provisional A licence and have done for 2 years now, licence is up this summer so will have the apply for my next one but also need to do the test, but thats neither here nor there.

with my insurance due in about 4 weeks time (with Carole Nash) i decided to get a quote from hibernian to see would it be worth my while changing back (unlikely i know).

Anyways went in and gave all my details and they gave me a quote however the woman said that they may not be able to cover me as my licence does not cover the cc of the bike anymore. she said that last november there had been alot of changes to the licences in terms of restrictions etc... just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this or any suggestions as to how i could find out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

What insurance category is the bike? (I think it's 6) The limit isn't actually on the cc of the negine but the output. Officialy your supposed to have a full A licence for 2 years the you can legally drive any engine size but on the provisonal you are restricted to 33BHP of less.

This means you can drive upto category six, she might just be confused most insurance people dont have any real bike knowledge and might not know the difference between a CBR 600 and a dragstar 650?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Kazujo
    What insurance category is the bike? (I think it's 6)
    Yes, it's a 6.

Eye, I'd be interested to know what you're paying with Carole Nash. I have a XV650A and a full A license (for a year now). Will they only quote over 25's or is it worth me ringing em? (me 22 and a half ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

Rymus, you should definetly ring them mate.

they normall only quote over 25's straight away and they will take over 21's on a case by case basis, so if you gotta good no claims bonus you should'nt have any problems.

Last year i changed from hibernian to carole nash, simply because the cheapest quote i got from hibernian was just over €1800, then i rang carole nash and got insured with them for €1450. (that was with 3 years no claims bonus on the provisional)

I really gotta do that test anyway and get the full licence as i'm sure it will help a little with the insurance.

Hibernian quoted €1780 this year but like i said originally they were'nt sure if they could cover me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Eye
    Anyways went in and gave all my details and they gave me a quote however the woman said that they may not be able to cover me as my licence does not cover the cc of the bike anymore.
    You might enquire as to whether you current insurance is valid if rules changed. If you have an accident, you may not be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

daaaang.. gotta give them a ring before my premium is due in August then. thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Carole nash quoted me on the spot, and at 23 on an nsr125, hibernian wanted a renewal of my insurance of 1800....whereas carole nash insured me for 1060. Both third party, still pretty expensive for a 125 but a huge saving.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I was looking at buying a bike...

something like a honda Varadero 125 or the Yamaha TDR 125.. went to Hibernian for a quote, cheapest was €1456, fully comp for 28 year old on provisional.

Carol Nash quoted me €1028 for the same bikes... much cheaper..

but if i based the insurance back home and not in dublin I could get it for €628 fully comp..

complete rip off :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

you're better off doing your insurance on line even with hibernian my policy was up there a couple of weeks ago with hibernian on gz125 went down to them and they quoted me €1460 then went home and done it on there web site and got it for €1090 hehe the wonders of the web

Advertisement