Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spiders play Eamonn Dorans Thurs 22nd of May

• 20-05-2003 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

thats it. We're on a 9 till 9.30pm. If you wanna hear some new tunes. Have a dance, and stuff. Come along. There will be flyers at the door. 6 euro with one, 7 without. One of the other bands on are Mammoth Silk. I know nothing about them. Can't remember the other. Ta ta..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gav Ol Son

I'm gonna go to this. bring a couple of friends. i'll do a review.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Megadude

Thanks to everyone who came along. We had a great night, the audience were just brill. We recorded the whole gig onto minidisc. Sounds cool, even tho some equipment died on its arse. The engineer does a good job there on thursday nights.

We are playing 'The Sugar Club' on monday night (26/5/03) in aid of some charity or something. It was offered to us on thurs night after the show so excuse us for being vague on the details. There should be 3 or 4 bands on during the evening. We're on at about 9 ish. Thanks again.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gav Ol Son

A review of The St.Vincent de Paul charity gig, Monday 26/05/2003 @ The Sugar Club.

'The Spiders'

The evenings entertainment started early enough at 8.45pm with 'The Spiders' a 5 piece Dublin band. Though there wasn't much people there to begin with at all, the band dived into their first song, after a quick introduction of themselves, which was old fashioned but endearing. The song was a pacey blast of something between jazz and speed funk. Which went down quite well as an opener. It was followed by a creepy piano jazz pop number about Monsters under the bed (I don't know the names of most of the songs). Next was a well paced Rock song with Latin rythms, harmonies and vintage organ called Margherita I think. Which was a fun song. I can't remember the next one at all, but it was followed by a heavy Funk song, 'In the City'. Which was great, and the singing was loud and funky too, great Wah-wah guitar, and keyboard/synth sounds. The audience really liked this one too. They ended with a song, which can only be described as 'Disco Rock', I dunno the name of the song, but it was really impressive, catchy, full of hooks, vocally and guitar. And the song ends with a great guitar Rock-out, where the band jammed away. It was 7 mins long! Well after that the crowd shouted for an encore, which is what they got. The Spiders played a dark rock song with Garage like Drumming and Bass. Strange but interesting. This reviewer was impressed. So I'll give them an impressive rating. 9/10.

The second band on (can't remember the name) where a four piece Rock band. Inspired by a mix between Pearl Jam, The Smashing Pumpkins etc. So there was some pleasant enough songs which they wrote themselves. Its just they sounded fairly flat and predictable. But I heard this was their first gig so it was a good effort. There were Rockin moments, but the singing was lacking in confidence and belief. They lost the audiences attention at times, but won it back with a good cover of 'Today' by the Smashing Pumpkins. So they played a shorter set then the first band, and on some songs had the bassist on drums and vice versa. They have potential to Rock, but need alot of time practicing. And maybe they should drop the Pumpkins cover. Because there's another 20 Dublin bands doing that one. All in all I'd give them 5/10.

'Polemics'

The third band of the night and Headliner was 'Polemics'. And I don't understand why at all. They played with alot of energy, I'll give them that but their timing sometimes was terrible. And they were having equipment problems. Most notably: the drum kit kept moving across the floor as the drummer used the kick pedal. The singer sang out loud and was really into it, the guitarist played well sometimes and the bassist, but the covers were uninspiring. They tried a cover of Zeppelins 'Moby Dick somewhere in the middle, but the drummer just couldn't pull it off. The timing was crap. The kit kept moving, people were trying to hold it down for him. The singer walked off only to return to the stage 10 mins later to say "thats it, sorry the guitar cable broke, and the kit keeps movin". People gave them a round of applause but really, it was a bit of a joke. The show was over after the first band finished really. Which was a shame. Polemics get 2/10.

more reviews soon. Gav.

Advertisement