Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV insight with Scott Taunton interview

Options
  • 20-05-2003 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

SiliconRepublic (registration required) is carrying an interview with Scott Taunton of UTV Internet. It covers the launch of a flat rate product from UTV on June 25th and some on those DSL plans!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

maybe its just me nitpicking but the whole area of the June 25th FRIACO launch seems to be a bit hazy if not misleading. Ok so it's kind of flat-rate, but no mention of the 150 hours soft limit on the service? They mention 24x7 flat-rate launching on the 25th of June but have somehow forgot to mention that it's only 150 hours of 24x7 flat-rate before you're back on per minute pricing. To me 24x7 flat-rate means you can connect any time of the day, stay on for as long as you want (granted with a reasonable disconnect period) and not worry about keeping your eye on the timer in your system tray...

Ahh well, roll on June 25th anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The product they have out now is the 150 hour package, by June 25th a PROPER flatrate package has to be introduced by Eircom, as in 24x7 and no limit, and the same should be provided by UTV, probably cheaper.
    As I understand it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

rymus,

UTVip are IMHO playing the wait and see business game! I would wait until June 25th before finally reaching a conclusion on what they are really going to offer in thier flat-rate 24/7 package deal.

They have between now and then to finally decide, depending on what the competition reveals or offers in the meantime!. Thats just business.

Paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I have a feeling that, in the first months after it's introduced anyway, the speed is going to be dire for everyone using ANY FRIACO service. I would wait until I get all the facts about each service provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

the speed is going to be dire for everyone using ANY FRIACO service

Why do you say that, do you think that Eircom et al. won't have proper backhaul organised. I think that the speed will be fine (well as good as it gets for a modem user anyway), as the numbers will build quite slowily, it will give the telco's time to adapt their network ... ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Giblet
    I have a feeling that, in the first months after it's introduced anyway, the speed is going to be dire for everyone using ANY FRIACO service

hmm, dont really understand why it would be slower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

To me 24x7 flat-rate means you can connect any time of the day, stay on for as long as you want

Dial up 24/7 will never be always on 24/7
    but it will be Access 24/7.
    Some people would find it more productive to be accessing the web during peak times rather than off peak as we do now, thus 24/7 allows more choice for people to access at a flat rate and not have to watch the clock during peak times during which a lot of people would find it more usefull to use the internet..

Example:
    Unemployed:
    could be comunicating with potential employers with both email and phone and not have to watch the clock or be cut of from this kind of comunication because they have to wait till after 6pm to do this thus having to wait another 12hrs before any reply comes from those companies etc...

then theres the disabled that can also benifit from access 24/7.
    There are way to many benifits to access 24/7 to be discounted just because its not alway on..
    you gota think of the whole picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

On the utv support newsgroup I started a thread about Friaco and how it might work. ie when I used up my 150 hours would I be charged off peak for the excess hours or would peak rates apply to the excess depending on the time of day. I got the impression that not much thought had been given to the question and that I was the first person to ask it because I was told "we'll get back to you on that".

They haven't come back with any definitve answers as yet but I get the impression that the hours allowance might very well be increased. ie 200-250+ and excess hours rates still to be decided on. Now I and my siblings would consider ourselves excessive users. We usually do at least 190-200+ hours a month and it seems that we are permenently connected to the net from 6pm till 2 or 3am. So if they do increase the hours to 200-250 then I think that 99% of users and I include 99% of heavy users in that will be more than happy. Of course its not going to make those that are expecting an always on service happy, but I think that those of us that would be happy with 24/7 access and reasonable hour allowance will be quite happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Originally posted by Giblet
    I have a feeling that, in the first months after it's introduced anyway, the speed is going to be dire for everyone using ANY FRIACO service. I would wait until I get all the facts about each service provider.

"You're in the Jungle baby you're gonna dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

EDIT: FOR GNR fans only just in case anyone thinks I've gone insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

From the SR interview
    He adds: “Once people are paying say €30 a month for their flat-rate internet service, if they could get broadband for another 10 or 15 euro a month, so long as they felt they would get benefit from it, then they’ll take that product up.”

His colleague Martin could tell him that we'll "take that product up" now - he hangs around here, so he should know!
    UTV Internet is developing its own DSL product for launch in the Republic, he says, although there are still some regulatory issues to be worked out with regard to wholesale pricing of capacity from Eircom.

These regulatory issues haven't stopped Esat or Netsource, one of whom will tempt me away from UTVip very soon, if they don't at least give us a BB launch date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

He adds: “Once people are paying say €30 a month for their flat-rate internet service, if they could get broadband for another 10 or 15 euro a month, so long as they felt they would get benefit from it, then they’ll take that product up.”

Yea, they know exactly what we want... so why haven't we got it yet? Lot's of good info on the FRIACO issue, nowhere near enough on DSL (what regulatory issues? when are they expected to be resolved? And most importantly when will it be released!!).

Scott - any news for current customers of your, like me, whose business you are about to lose to one of the ADSL providers? I was pleased to see your post in this forum, but disappointed that you don't have news of a broadband product for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

Originally posted by tomk
    Scott - any news for current customers of your, like me, whose business you are about to lose to one of the ADSL providers? I was pleased to see your post in this forum, but disappointed that you don't have news of a broadband product for us.

Tom

Not unlike ducks on water, we are working hard behind the scenes to develop a broadband offering. I would hope to be in a position to announce dates in the coming week or so.

We do have concerns about the Eircom wholesale arrangements but believe that we can overcome these.

I look forward to setting out a timetable soon.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Heh, Scott, that all you needed to tell me a while ago, as it is I'm getting netsource dsl activated on friday, go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Please hurry up with Broadband details, I have the Netsource application in a stamped envelope already , will hold of a week or so. Thanks

Originally posted by Scott Taunton
    .... we are working hard behind the scenes to develop a broadband offering. I would hope to be in a position to announce dates in the coming week or so.

Thanks for this, Scott. I am a very satisfied UTVip customer, and based on that experience, I have high expectations with regard to your upcoming broadband offering. I look forward to your announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

I'm a satisfied UTVip customer. I live in the sticks and it is extremely unlikely that I will ever have the option of any DSL product in my lifetime. The best I can do at the moment is ISDN.

I will not be leaving UTV unless an affordable and easily accessed and set up satellite option becomes available. (It's the only way to eliminate €ircon from the equation, and that would be my ultimate solution!)

Note regarding "unmetered" flat rate: I am a Yank, and in the States, the typical dial-up product is about $20 per month, advertised as "unlimited." HOWEVER, in the small print, the user is advised that abuse of that can result in their termination. So in the States, there is not REALLY unlimited unmetered dial-up use. (Granted, it takes a lot to reach the "abuser" level, but there *is* a limit.)

There is unlimited ACCESS. It matters not what time of day you are online. 24-7 ACCESS is NOT the same thing as "always on."

So, while internet service here (because of €ircon and cohorts) is an unbelievably outrageous rip-off (understatement of the millenium), what UTV seems to be about to offer is entirely comparable (in "hours-on" terms) with what American ISP's offer for dial-up.

It makes us squirm to be told we can be on for "only" 150-200 hours/mo, but I prefer knowing that at the outset. It's better than suddenly getting a warning letter or e-mail, or worse, as before with the infamous SNL, just being terminated with no warning, thank you very much, or nuttn! (mantra: I will never use esat again.)

Banished...

Scott Taunton,

I would like to draw your attention to the contents of the thread on this forum entitled:- "Donegal trial for new Broadband Mechanism" which refers to a UK based companies plans which I believe may well prove of interest to UTV Internet! The company is called [SkyLINC Ltd] and they have a website at:- http://www.skylinc.co.uk/frames/html

Your views on the possibility or commercial feasibility of Ireland taking advantage now of this apparently proven technology would prove very interesting, especially asyou are considering introducing a Broadband offering.

It could prove to be very enlightening to hear your opinion of this companies plans and forward looking approach. No doubt they could do with an Ireland based connection!. Why not your goodselves?..

Yours,

Paddy20.

If you agree with my post to Scott Taunton above, and that UTV Internet should be encouraged to - act now - in relation to talking to SkyLINC!. Then an indication from you on this thread to Scott Taunton and the UTVip team, might help!.

Pddy20.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Scott,

as you are no doubt aware there is a lot of discontent with the service which Eircom provides - I think you've experienced this first hand yourself. Anything which breaks the stranglehold on the last mile which Eircom holds must be worth looking at !

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

I have sent off my termination notice to UTV as I plan to connect to broadband soon.

I have praised UTV to anyone I have spoke to but its a shame that they have not yet got their act together on broadband. They may be close to making some announcement but for me and many others this will come too late.

Anyway, thanks to UTV for the breath of fresh air they brought to the internet world in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

The only date I see for the introduction of FR by UTV is the 27 June 2003? This was taken from their All Ireland Flatrate Internet
    Access link. So what ye all waiting for? Go Sign Up NOW! :p
    Role on the 27 June 2003 :)

OHP

PS Excellent work UTV :)
    Get Ready... Flat Rate Internet is geared to go!

For the first time ever, due to incredibly high demand FRIACO (Flat Rate Internet Access Call Origination) will shortly be available on an All Ireland basis.

At UTV Internet we are extending our award winning UTVip service with a Flat Rate offering, giving internet users the ability to log at any time, day or night, at a low fixed monthly price.

There are no additional call charges … and just to rev you a little further we’ll give you up to 25% off local, national and international telephone calls plus 5% off mobile call charges!

This new and exciting UTVip service will launch on the 27th June 2003 putting us streets ahead of our competition!

UTV Internet: Best All Ireland Digital Media Service Provider.
    O² Digital Media Awards 2003.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Link would be handy...

http://www.utvip.com/preregister.asp

adam

Originally posted by Scott Taunton
    Tom

Not unlike ducks on water, we are working hard behind the scenes to develop a broadband offering. I would hope to be in a position to announce dates in the coming week or so.

We do have concerns about the Eircom wholesale arrangements but believe that we can overcome these.

I look forward to setting out a timetable soon.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

What happened Scott? It's now nearly two weeks since you posted this. I understand that FRIACO is your big thing at the moment, but some of us have done "56k", done ISDN, and want broadband. If you hoped "to be in a position to announce dates in the coming week or so" on 21 May, and subsequently found that you were not in such a position, could you not at least let us know? Perhaps you are unaware that I, like many of your current customers, have grown accustomed to your high standards, and continue to expect them.

Please clarify your ROI broadband plans as promised, or you will lose my custom, and I expect many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I've said this before - but people seem intent on getting more hassle than they need, by going back to the incumbent's, why would you want to tie yourself back in with Eircom or Esat - signing up for 12 month deals, and then there's Netsource, may be good if they ever get their act together, but there don't seem to be too many happy customers out there for BB unless they are getting the Business connections..........
    check the 'Netscource - Sunday Trouble' thread in the Broadband section, none of them are sorted out, connections are being delayed more and more and I'm still hearing of these people that can't wait to get broadband, even though you'll have to wait at least a month anyway.........................my point is you'll all be sorry if/when UTV bring out a stable product when the dust has settled......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

after waiting this long i just don't understand why people are so quick to jump for the first DSL provider that comes along

i've been waiting four and a half years for "telecom eireann" to deliver on the DSL trials they were carrying out - another few months waiting for some form of broadband won't kill me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

after waiting this long i just don't understand why people are so quick to jump for the first DSL provider that comes along

I'm sure it doesn't apply to everyone, but in my case I think "necessity" is a damn good reason. I can't get DSL right now, but I'll take it off the very first person to offer it to me, for /whatever/ price.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by dahamsta

I'm sure it doesn't apply to everyone, but in my case I think "necessity" is a damn good reason. I can't get DSL right now, but I'll take it off the very first person to offer it to me, for /whatever/ price.

adam

sorry i forgot to say "residential / non business" heh

At this stage, my problem is not the waiting. It's the fact that UTV appears to be stringing us along, a very unwelcome development, and hopefully a once-off deviation from their normal working methods.
    Is it now the case that we can no longer rely on statements made by UTV representatives on this board?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I disagree that they are stringing us along. They have been on the record saying that they would be concentrating on a FRIACO product due out at the end of this month. They have never made a statement on the timescales for broadband nor have they asked anyone to hold out for them.

They have said that they are working on a broadband product and are sorting out regulatory issues and it is quite possible that they themselves are not in a position to say when it is ready.

Advertisement