Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL LInk channel

• 20-05-2003 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

What legislation governs the Link channel on NTL? Is there legislation governing what they can and can't do e.g programming content, advertising etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

AFAIK they can only promote their own products and services, and provide a local information service (which would include documentaries etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

What I would like to know is why it isn't available on Digital? I know I'm not missing much, but ever since getting Digital I havn't seen Link.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I've always thaught that the link channel not being on digital was a bit strange aswell.

At least ye have a proper Link service in Dublin. In Galway, all we get is a normally obsolete community diary and contradictory ads for the price of NTL digital.

"A proper link service" , you must be joking! :confused:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by celticfc
    "A proper link service" , you must be joking! :confused:

OK, I take your point, but I also take it that your service is actually kept reasonably up-to-date and shows independently-produced programming every now and then.

It still hasn't got anything worth watchin' and its definitly not up to date.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by BrianD
    What legislation governs the Link channel on NTL? Is there legislation governing what they can and can't do e.g programming content, advertising etc?

To my understanding, there previously wasn't really legislation to cover it (it falling outside both the Broadcasting Authority Acts 1960-1993 and Radio and Televison Act 1988). This has been fixed now with the Broadcasting Act 2001 with the provision for Cable/MMD Content Contracts which would cover Link. The BCI has called for and recieved expressions of interest under this act and the next stage is to call for applications for contracts, but this hasn't happened yet.

The recieved expressions of interest are here:
    http://www.bci.ie/exprtv.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

The samba soccer school ad with the 25 year brazilian girl who has a moustachio makes the link channel worth watching. You just want to reach out and stroke it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

They should do away with all those text captions and just have a teletext service.

I mean who's gonna sit though half an hour of pages

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mike 1972
    They should do away with all those text captions and just have a teletext service.

I mean who's gonna sit though half an hour of pages

Whose gonna watch that either???

Advertisement