Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where To Go???

Options
  • 20-05-2003 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey,

New to the list and just wondering is there actually anywhere in Dublin to go for a quiet pint after work, and get good music on the Jukebox. or at least good background music. You know what I mean. Somewhere that isn't playing Christina on an aggravating 6 minute loop......

Please let me know.... please!!!

me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Try downstairs at Brogan's (...or was it Hogan's...?!), opposite Dublin Castle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

That's Brogans all right, prop. Ben Brogan, but downstairs is only open at weekends, great jukebox though.

The Oak on Dame Street is good, no jukebox but the background tunes are quite ambient.

Bruxelles has a jukebox downstairs but it's not exactly 'quiet pint after work' material.

The Long Hall on Georges Street is good for an after-work pint, as is The Swan on Aungier Street, but no music in those places.

Whelans is always a good bet, and they serve food too.

Conways on beside the Parnell Mooney is a good spot, really nice soup and sandwiches.

Bowes on Fleet Street is great for the after-work jar.

Downstairs in the International Bar has a good jukebox and a good atmosphere.

Madison in Rathmines has a juke box but it's not exactly 'quiet pint after work' material, an it's a bit trendified.

The George has a jukebox, but the selection of tunes would be rather 'festive' for obvious reasons.

Bodkins on Bolton Street has a jukebox but has DJs at night, and sometimes the crowd can get a bit messy.

Gubu on Capel Street has a jukebox downstairs, but gets fairly busy at weekends/late night.

Leonard's Corner on er... Leonard's Corner aptly enough, is a fantastic pub, really great service, every Friday evening after work they give out free nibbles (suasages, chips etc) but there's no jukebox.

There's a few for the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

Apart from being a crazy poster, Joey D spends most of his time in pubs. Clearly (see above)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ickle_tayto

ta very much...

will aim to work my way through the list over the next few weeks.. although Rathmines is the wrong side of the city for me so I'll probably give that one a miss...

me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

the time I spend in pubs is for... research purposes, yes, that's it, research purposes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Try the Donaghmede Inn. Although it's been done up. Come to be seen. Stay for the company. And the Sheaf O' Wheat. Or Kyles just a door or two down. All gems among pubs.

Oh Joey - here's one - Liz Delany's. :D They did this ad once....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Damon_Kind

Originally posted by roxy
    Try the Donaghmede Inn.

I recommend this retched hive of scum and villainy a thousand times over.

Ok whereabouts is this Donaghmede Inn????

I like retched hives of scum and villainy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Originally posted by Damon_Kind
    I recommend this retched hive of scum and villainy a thousand times over.

Mick

I never thought I'd hear anyone recommend "the Dusty Bin"

:D

Originally posted by ickle_tayto
    Ok whereabouts is this Donaghmede Inn????

I like retched hives of scum and villainy!!!

Well, funny you should ask: they were humming and hawing for ages, but they eventually decided to put it in Donaghmede, for ease' sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

Try the Donaghmede Inn. Although it's been done up.

As the old saying goes...Ya can't polish a turd

Also, am i the only person who hates Bruxelles with the fire of a thousand suns??

Da2 was decent for after work/college for a while cos of the cheap beer, ya had to put up with the smell though:) great jukebox though

The Foggy Dew usually has good music on

The Headline Bar on Leonards Corner has a decent atmosphere too, find The actual Leanords Corner bar a bit too trendy and chrome ridden for my drinking tastes

roxy quote:
    Well, funny you should ask: they were humming and hawing for ages, but they eventually decided to put it in Donaghmede, for ease' sake.

Yes but for the people among us who don't know dublin can you let me know where the f**k is Donaghmede...

and for the record I have asked native born dubliners where I might find Donaghmede and they hadn't a clue (At least I reckon it's not past malahide)

me

go to the darkest depths of your soul and take a left at the lights

seriously though, its near raheny/kilbarrack/edenmore/baldoyle/coolock/portmarnock

its howth junction on the dart line

most people think i'm from some place in Meath:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Near Portmarnock - I guess it actually when you think about it. God I never thought about it really, that's my problem. I bet you the portmarnock people I know wouldn't admit that in a hurry though!

Oh and listen IckleTayto don't worry about going to Donaghmede!!! - seriously, stay in town. It's all you need.

Roxy

Oh and listen IckleTayto don't worry about going to Donaghmede!!! - seriously, stay in town. It's all you need.

oh don't worry... not going to be heading out that far for a pint..

and re: Bruxelles.. is there anywhere else to go in Dublin to get metal/rock etc on a saturday night.. I haven't found anywhere but then again I'm not native to the city so I only know the obvious places..

me :D

I bet you the portmarnock people I know wouldn't admit that in a hurry though!

Without meaning to generalise, why do most people from Portmarnock have fake knacker accents and why are they all wannabe stoners in a band influenced by led zeppelin and the stone roses

grrr. rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by ThatBloke

The Foggy Dew usually has good music on

A ggod spot, but stay more than two hours in the place and you'll be hearing the same music played again and again...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Forgot to mention the Neptune Lounge, downstairs in the Flowing Tide on (lower?) Abbey Street, near the Abbey Theatre.

Good jukebox and good bar staff, especially Paddy, the hunchbacked one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭palmic

it might sound like im biased cos i work here,but the mess in temple bar is turning in to a really cool venue upstairs ,theres never a cover charge in but the bands are top class,in the last week ive seen dopamine,bigwig,king sativa,seven deadly skins,louis stewart,.think, to name but a few its always packed with a great crowd of genuine music lovers check it out bands start from 6 on a fri till 3 in the morning its really a cool vibe..mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Originally posted by palmic
    the mess in temple bar

Whereabouts in Temple Bar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭palmic

33/34 eustance st accross from the ifc cheers mick

Advertisement