Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Stick Hell......Help!!

• 20-05-2003 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am trying to reseat a dimm memory stick in an old P300 machine but it just aint having it. Ive checked the slot - there doesnt seem to be any obstructions. I've checked and double checked that the pins are lining up but it just aint having it. I've used quite a lot of pressure but cant get under the board to support it cos of the design of the ****ey box. At one stage i managed to get the clips closed on both ends but its still not being recognised. Its not slotting in - in the middle most of all - and this is where i get the least support under the m'board - its just not accessable.

Just to double check that i havnt done any other damage......................when i boot it, i get a blank screen - the power is good , the fan is good, can hear the hard drive and the cd-rom...but no post beeps and blank screen - if this sounds like anything other than memory please let me know.

How can i sort this??

Please send the knowledge (or a loaded gun) at the earliest opportunity!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

If you're up to the challenge you could remove the motherboard form the case and then try to fit the dimm. You should be able to give the board a lot more support that way and it may solve your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Dont really want to RAZ but if it comes down to it and i have no other choice....

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Could be possible that you have the DIMM around the wrong way.

AFAIR the DIMMS(168 pin) had a cutout at one side and an offset center slot to stop you getting them in the wrong way around.

Your right divX - they do have two slots one centered one near the start. This wasnt the prob. though - it was just damn hard to slam it in there but after half a day of trying - got it sorted. Hard to believe that its necessary to apply so much pressure to something as delicate as that...but there ya go. The mobo was bowing under the pressure in the middle but i managed to remove the panel behind the mobo and hold it in place.

This old box is definitely a learning experience. Firstly i had to swap out the cd-rom - then the memory problem, now when loading win98 it doesnt recognise the hard drive ('no hard disk present')....so i suppose thats my next challenge...:rolleyes:

Success at last.......just a jumper problem...home n dry

• Advertisement
Advertisement