Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chorus Digital v Sky Digital

• 20-05-2003 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to get either of these installed at home and was wondering if anyone had had experience with both.
    I am leaning towards Sky Digital but my brother who lives in the house as well reckons that having ITV and Channel 4 is the major clincher.
    The main thing for me is service as I have had bad experiences with Chorus' cable service before.

Ta Kindly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Avoid chorus like the plague.
    I had it at first. It broke down a lot. At least once a month.
    Everytime i got their engineers out i had to take the day off work, they wouldn't give me a time, even tho the problem was never in my house. Eventually i went for Sky digital. What a dream. Never goes down, picture always crystal clear, never had to call them once and i've had it a year now.
    Total opposite to Chorus.
    ITV and channel4 will be on sky soon tho. Anyway, i don't miss those 2 channels at all even tho i thought i would.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Tahnks for the reply Daithi, was that the Chorus Digital or the Cable you had?
    I didn't realise that ITV and Ch 4 were coming on the Sky Digital line up.
    Any idea when they are coming on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not a huge difference btween TV3 and UTV anymore.

10 years ago maybe UTV and C4 really worth getting, but if you have only an Irish Sky family pack (Which has BBC) you won't have time to watch them..

I have CH4, UTV, Five and can't remember when I last watched them.

Other channels I never watch:
    Living, Bravo, Challange, Trouble...

I tend to cancel Sky every six months or so and only watch free channels on it as after a while you have seen all the programs :D

The last "off" period was over a year.
    We at 7 months on...

The advantage of Sky is that you *can* cancel, still have lots of TV and radio on it and then 1/2way through summer holidys or just before "Christmas" Season ring up and you are "on" again on the pay channels in minutes.

With all the BBC free this summer for those without FTV cards (FTV cards are free to UK address and unlock ALL BBC, ALL ITV except ITV2, C4 and Five. They are not hard to get.) may find "breaks" from Sky subscription attractive.

I would also suggest avoiding Chorus like the plague-they will only let you down.
    Even though they are an Irish company they are an extremely badly run Irish company.

Their current slick add on the radio would have you believe, that they offer unrivaled choice and excelent customer service, amongst other things.
    The person who scribed that add must be permanently in R.E.M.
    I'd have to tell you to go for sky , simply for the choice and sheer quality and value for money.
    also all the BBC services will be available as add on's free from june 1st.
    And theres debate as to whether that move from the BBC, might prompt ITV in the near future to do like wise.
    Anyways as Watty says a lot of the ITV schedule appears on TV3 and you can get their News service on Sky digital.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

I had Chorus Cable in Cork. BBC's/ITV/C4 went blank at least twice a week for about 4 hours or so. Not to mention the picture being crappy and regularly flickering. And the awful mono sound which they said was being upgraded to stereo about 4 years ago but wasnt. Chorus cable with Sky Sports 1&2 cost €45 a month. Sky Digital Sports World (which is the basic package with Sky Sports 1/2/3/extra/news) is €49 a month. Superb picture and sound without a single technical glich yet and its going strong now for about 3 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement