Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pair gain splitter boxes

Options
  • 20-05-2003 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

Ive read a few threads here where eircom install these boxes so its splits the line to seven different houses ETC ETC ETC, what do these boxes look like, i have a large green box situated outside my estate, tucked away so you hardly see it, and there always seems to be an eircom van parked beside it and an engineer always fiddling about with the innards

Wish i had a digital camera so i could take a piccie of it to show you what i mean.

just wondering is this of of these boxes

Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

no, its not one of those. thats a street cabinet where a 50 pair is broken down to individual lines. its on the pavement....right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Probably just a street cabinet, They're all over the place and it's where your line and your neighbours lines meet to join a trunk cable which goes to the exchange. A splitter box only splits one line into two they are usually grey in colour and are about the same size as a loaf of bread they are often pole mounted or located inside a customers premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

thats ok then

heres a piccie, had an old digital camera doesnt take good pics, but it sounds like what ye described

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Yeah, that's a standard street cabinet. Needs a bit of a paint job.

when i fished it out i sorta went a bit mad, can anyone tell me what this is please, prolly nothing but it sounds closer to what your describing

shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

That either ESB or NTL or such a splitter is much smaller than that and is in a plastic housing with Multigain2000 or Spectel written on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What did you fish it out of, Shinzon?

it was the webcam i was talking about skeptic, knew i had it around here somewhere lol

oh well it was worth investigating these 2 possibilities as causes of why my line passed and then didnt for DSL

Just have to wait for comreg to finish with their investigation of my case and get back to me

Regards

Shin

Hmm i suppose while im waiting i could paint that cabinet lol

:D

Advertisement