Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video Recorders compatible with SKY

• 20-05-2003 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I'm planning on purchasing a new video recorder and have heard of some recorders which can be activated automatically by Sky.
    If you set some form of record standby setting on the recorder and select autoview in the personal planner for a program on Sky, then when the program comes on Sky the recorder starts recording. Some signal is sent from the SCART socket on the Sky box to the SCART of the video to activate the recording.

I've made a few enquiries in D*xons etc and staff couldn't advise but I'm sure I've seen something in the past on the UK satellite bulletin board.

Therefore, has anyone got a video recorder with the above functionality.......and before the posts start 'NO' I'm not confused over videoplus, SKY + etc, or can anyone recommend a model.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I had heard this too but couldn't find any in Ireland.
    Some of them say 'Satelite control' but it didn't work with one of these.
    In the end i got a cheapo video recorder and a phantom PVR.
    It does exactly the same job.
    I think it was aboput 40 euro
    The web site is
    http://www.phantompvr.com/

You can get them at www.satelite.ie as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

You can get them at www.satelite.ie as well.
    its www.satellite.ie ive made the same mistake myself too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I have a pretty basic Philips VCR, about 3 years old. I actually got it free when we bought stuff off prizebuy.com, so I'd imagine it was one of the cheapest available.

My point here is that Philips probably have this as a standard feature on all their models.

However, beware! While this feature is excellent, the way they have it set up means that you need to go through a series of menus just to turn it on - and when the programme you'd autoviewed in personal planner is over, it goes back to 'off'. Therefore it is a) a pain in the arse and b) not much good if you anted to record a few different things.

One last thing: there is a device called the phantom vcr (search on google). I think it costs about €50, but it works with all VCRs, old and new. If you were only buying a VCR for this feature, maybe this is a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Phantom VCR is €39 on www.satellite.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks for the plugs guys

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Thanks for the information, I was unaware the Phantom existed.

......Looks like I can purchase just about any VCR I want and simply attach the 'free' phantom Tony is sending out to all of us for promoting his site ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by freetoair
    Thanks for the information, I was unaware the Phantom existed.

......Looks like I can purchase just about any VCR I want and simply attach the 'free' phantom Tony is sending out to all of us for promoting his site ;)

Nice one, I'll send free PVR's to anyone who sends me 39 euro:D

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by freetoair
    I'm planning on purchasing a new video recorder and have heard of some recorders which can be activated automatically by Sky.
    If you set some form of record standby setting on the recorder and select autoview in the personal planner for a program on Sky, then when the program comes on Sky the recorder starts recording. Some signal is sent from the SCART socket on the Sky box to the SCART of the video to activate the recording.

Therefore, has anyone got a video recorder with the above functionality.......and before the posts start 'NO' I'm not confused over videoplus, SKY + etc, or can anyone recommend a model.

I think I know what you are talking about - and I don't think it is specifically related to SKY, it is more to do with the SCART standard.

When I switch on my TV, it goes into standby mode. I then press 1 on the remote to get to channel 1 on the TV (well duh!). With the red light on the SKY box (i.e. it is in standby mode also), I press the SKY button on my remote. The TV then changes from the current channel to the SCART channel that SKY is on. This is probably the signal the SKY box is sending to the TV that you are talking about.

Given that it works for the TV (which is really a dumb device), I don't see why it wouldn't work on the VCR. You can try it by putting a program in, set it to Autoview, and put the SKY box in standby.

If, when the program comes on, the SKY box also comes on (i.e. the green light comes on), then it should theoretically activate the VCR. But I don't really think it will kick in the recording function of the VCR.

In the SKY setup, there is an option to set SCART control to on. I can't remember where it is, but I do remember doing it.

Hope this helps,

TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

You might as well get the VCR before you buy the phantom PVR, as many models have this feature. The problem is that it's very hard to find out for sure which ones work.

I have a Sony SE-710 which works fine. All I have to do is press a button on the front panel for 2 seconds and it puts it into SCART watching mode and will record when the autoview triggers on Sky. This is very very reliable and very handy.

Try searching through newsgroups on google for particular models and see which ones might work.

Ix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

* I think the SCART on /off only affects the TV SCART.

To test if your VCR to Digbox SCART is "signalling":
    Select Digibox via SCART on TV.

Put a Tape in VHS and press play. Digibox SCART will be outputing VHS playback if the VHS SCART is wired to Digibox VCR SCART correctly.

I have CUT the signalling wire which means my VHS won't ever use the Personal Planner.

Why?

Cos someone might watch tape in another room but we might still want SKY on the TV. We use a third AV in on TV for S-VHS. The TV second SCART is the DVD.

I have a 4 Way SCART box I used to use on TV (About £8 from Hills by mail order). I use it to select Security CAM, PS2, Analog Sat1 or Analog Sat2 on S-VHS 2nd SCART IN, OUT split to feed TV IN AV 3. Main SCART on VHS connects to Digibox.

Thought:

Why do you get charged €15 per month on Sky+ for Personal Planner and being able to record AT ALL, on top of normal Sky Sub for view card for it when you buy a SKY+ (You own it not rent).

Next Sky will want €10 per month for the Personal planner to actually work the autoview on ordinary Digibox + VHS :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement