Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best?? [NEC 1300 posible problem]

• 20-05-2003 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

ok am a selling a pc [well the deal is done just waiting for it to be collected] so thats €500 and ill put a bit more to it so i am talking 600 -700 ish.waht is want is:
    1. NEC 1300a definatly gettting this off komplett probely
    2.i need a sound card i had a soundblaster live value and i didnt like it the main problem is the drivers they are CRAP. i want a fairly good set 5.1 + i was thinking santa cruz or Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III 7.1 i dont really need extra usb or firewire port [all thought they would be nice:) ]
    3.i need a dvd drive, the NEC 1300 is locked at x2 dvd ripping speed so i need somting faster i was thinking the LiteON 16x it is the fastest dvd riper or mabey the Pioneer DVD-120 Slot Load it looks cool preferable in black
    4. i am looking for a big harddrive 120gig + with the lowest cost per gig
    also need advice on dvd-r media for the new drive i think svp are the best, i am looking for relibility and low cost mabey datasafe or dataright. has anyone got those 240disk cd carriers off SVP got some in town and they were crap they just fell apart. iwant a really strong one which can hold the most cds/dvds.also i would like to get these in a place where i can get smaller things like fans and cabels to reduce on cost. this is your mission if you choose to accept it ,go find me these items ant the lowest price possible.

P.S i also need a 10/100 4 port or more switch as cheap as possible , think ebay is the best place for this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

ok i have decided i am going to get the Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III 7.1 and the WD 8mb 120gig drive an ill pick up a switch on ebay. but i might be forced the rethink getting the NEC 1300 after haveing a look atthis and i can get a 105 X4 for €195 delivered that saves me €75 on the NEC 1300 .anyone here have the NEC1300?? whats it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Originally posted by irishguy
    ok i have decided i am going to get the Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III 7.1 and the WD 8mb 120gig drive an ill pick up a switch on ebay. but i might be forced the rethink getting the NEC 1300 after haveing a look atthis and i can get a 105 X4 for €195 delivered that saves me €75 on the NEC 1300 .anyone here have the NEC1300?? whats it like?

I'm not logged in.....guests can't view it!! Whats the problem with the NEC 1300- I've got one on order.......:confused:

jus sign up for http://www.disqworld.net/forums/index.php and go into the media discussion section. it seems to have very bad support for dvd-r disks and it only works on the most expensive disks. works fine on +r though, they were saying that it might be fixed by a firmware revision

http://www.kastner-online.de/nd1300a.html here is a list of supported media [but its in german, google translation might come in handy]
    it seems that NEC have blocked certian media, like what pioneer did with there earlier drives. Also there appears to be somthing strange going on with some of the drives as people with the same drive and same firmware try to burn the same media and it works for some but not for others?? this is werid i think i might hold off on my purchase of the 1300 till i get more info. so i would advise anyone who is getting on to get a DVD-R test pack and post up the results with the dvd-r code. Also here is a list from NEC of supported media

sorry about all the posts guys, its just i am dieing to get a dvdr burner and i am trying to find out the best possible, so i am just passing on the info.Have a look at this it seems the 1100a and the 1300a are the same drive its just a firmware upgrade. here are pics of the internal PCB:
    also the pickup assemblies are the same, because if you swap the PCB from the 1300 into the 1100 it will burn -r. the only problem with flashing them is that part of the firmware on the 1100 is protected so at them moment you can flash 1100 to a 1300 and it will work fine but only with +r untill someone figures out how to write over the protected piece of the memory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by irishguy
    jus sign up for http://www.disqworld.net/forums/index.php and go into the media discussion section. it seems to have very bad support for dvd-r disks and it only works on the most expensive disks. works fine on +r though, they were saying that it might be fixed by a firmware revision

Shít. I've just ordered one. :mad:

i have read alot about this and it seems there is no dual format drive that will do cheap dvdr's [mabe the A06 but that wont be out for a month or 2] so i am thinking ill still go for it and just get more expensive disks [about €2 each] at least i know the data on it is safe and they will drop in price at some point. Also there might be a fireware upgrade for this at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

So much for finding a burner which did everything, at a decent price!!:mad:

Advertisement