Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New scuba diving board

Options
  • 20-05-2003 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭

First post!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

arse

second post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

First saracstic remark - FFS there's proberly more demand for a scuba
    diving board on KansasBoards.com! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hurrah!
    Double huzzah!
    Huzza^2!

[Worf voice]

Today is a good day to dive.

[/Worf voice]

Let's make with the splashy splashy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Why do people always fall off the boat backwards when they're scubadiving? Is it just the least awkward way to do it with all the gear on your back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah it would be the least awkward way on smaller boats, its also loads of fun. There are other ways of entering the water like the "giants stride" which is basically a big step off the side of the boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

God damn... I missed it...

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Why do people always fall off the boat backwards when they're scubadiving? Is it just the least awkward way to do it with all the gear on your back?

The idea is to get into the water with all your gear intact.

The backwards roll or the giant stride (giant stride off the back of the boat) are usually the best/easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

What's the cheapest/easier way for someone to try out scubadiving in Ireland?

Heh, unless there's a bigger drop off the harbour wall than you expected, as some of the folks in my club found out...:p

And yeah, on a small boat I definately wouldn't fancy trying to stand up and turn around with all that heavy gear on me back, along with massive "feet" in cramped conditions... 'Tis really easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The best choice to give it a go is the Discover Scuba* course, usually called 'Disco'. Scuba Dive West do this course in Galway for just €60. Thats a pretty decent price tbh. (is that the first 'tbh' on the scuba board?!)
    This is a half day program at our dive centre for those with no qualification. Discover Scubadiving allows you to experience the fun and adventure of the underwater world in the safety of our sheltered cove. Your PADI Instructor will ensure that your introduction to diving is fun and easy. Dry suits provided in the cooler months to keep you warm and dry

Great Outdoors provide the same course in Dublin for €50 euros. Its in a pool - bleaugh!.

* This is a PADI course

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Thorbar
    What's the cheapest/easier way for someone to try out scubadiving in Ireland?

As Phil said the discover diving class with Scubadive west is a great way to try an introductary dive. And you get into the sea which is good as opposed to a swiming pool - which is nothing like normal diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by daveg
    As Phil said the discover diving class with Scubadive west is a great way to try an introductary dive. And you get into the sea which is good as opposed to a swiming pool - which is nothing like normal diving.
    Theres a pool in Stillorgan that one club uses with a deep end of something like 5 metres. Not the same I know, but I think their objective is control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Victor
    Theres a pool in Stillorgan that one club uses with a deep end of something like 5 metres. Not the same I know, but I think their objective is control.
    What pool is that? I can only think of Glenalbyn, and thats not 5 metres...hmmm maybe Westwood, dont think so..?

The absolute cheapest way is to join a college diving club. I'm not totally sure, but not all of them necessarily require being a student. Pay some membership, some insurance (totalling about 30 quid a year) and buy a decent wetsuit, and that's about the cost of it.

That leaves you fairly restricted choice wise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Question. Can ye go scuba-diving if you've had a collapsed lung ?
    When I was in Cancún Mexico, there was a scuba-diving yoke on the beach - just sign up, pay the man, couple of hours lessons then away ye go. But on the form it said ye can't/shouldn't dive if you have asthma or a collapsed lung etc. I have had both. I can't swim so I wasn't gonna dive anyway. Just curious is all...

Originally posted by Space_Coyote
    Question. Can ye go scuba-diving if you've had a collapsed lung ?
    When I was in Cancún Mexico, there was a scuba-diving yoke on the beach - just sign up, pay the man, couple of hours lessons then away ye go. But on the form it said ye can't/shouldn't dive if you have asthma or a collapsed lung etc. I have had both. I can't swim so I wasn't gonna dive anyway. Just curious is all...

I'm no expert but as the Padi medical checklist states you should not dive if you have Pneumothorax (collapsed lung).

Also you need to be able to swim 200 meters (at your own pace - on your back/upside down whatever) as part of the open diver course.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

When I was in Cancún Mexico, there was a scuba-diving yoke on the beach - just sign up, pay the man, couple of hours lessons then away ye go

/me Shudders to think...don't try this at home kids...

couple of hours lessons then away ye go...
    ...bit like driving on Irish roads then.

Can I be the first to start a PADI vs BSAC argument?
    No!
    Ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Anyone dive in that new aquatic centre wotsit. That must be 4m or so...?

Originally posted by MadsL
    /me Shudders to think...don't try this at home kids...

couple of hours lessons then away ye go...
    ...bit like driving on Irish roads then.

A friend of mine went out on a boat dive in the far east. She had no training nor was she given any training. She went down too fast and started to bleed from her ears. She won't be diving again. Moral of the story is if you are on holidays and some cowboys are offering to take you diving without doing the relevent courses don't.
    Can I be the first to start a PADI vs BSAC argument?

Please do... I have no knowlage of BSAC but would be interested to hear the differences. Please start a new thread though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BBD

The swimming pool in Stillorgan is indeed Glenalbyn and it is roughly 4 metres deep. Ocean Divers do an introductory course the odd time - they are usually there on Tuesday nights.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement