Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ask me anything about XBox Live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Well at least we should put our names together for the Irish clan. How many of us actually have Live up and running? Hopefully we can do some sort of sport game league, MotoGP league etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

Nialler....rtcw ....tonite then....i need help.....bit of a newb on RTCW......though in the top 2000 of mOtoGP2.....and must improve

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Arknine,

Where were ya, I was on till 3am though played a 3hr game in a team with some swedish bloke and a couple of brits, tell ya what though, I'm suffering now, just gonna try nurse meself thru this day, I'm exausted, I'll see yiz online over the weekend.

nialler

Sorry nialler........i picked up my new ipod yesterday evening and I was a bit distracted.....will track you down over the weekend.

Have you recieved the free game email for subscribing a friend to xbox live yet?

If so, any thoughts on it?......or more to the point, how we can benefit from it being in Ireland?

Nice one, picked yerself up an ipod, I have the 10gb one, still haven't managed to fill it yet but it's the dogs, if yer on a mac get itunes 4 but not 4.01 there's a few apps out there that allow you to share udder ppls music libraries and the ipod is quite easy to hack and find out which folder the music is stored in.

And no, haven't gotten the email yet with regard to the free game.

Nialler

• Advertisement

it's my 2nd 10gig model.....first one crashed and burned after 7 months.....this was the replacement courtesy of apple.

I'm windows unfortunately...so I'm not too sure about sharing using the music match.....(which crashed as I was transfering 1200 mp3's last night...hence the no show on Xbox Live)

pm me your email and I will forward the M$ free game post to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭urban Ninja

Hi

I was suppose to get Eircom i-stream but they are useless idiots so i have to wait now to get Ireland-online broadband. I should have it within 12-15 working days.

What do i do to use xbox live from Ireland?? I was told to use an UK postcode, but what about my address??

Any help??

I have RTCW for the PC, is it worth getting for playing on Xbox live??

Originally posted by urban Ninja
    I have RTCW for the PC, is it worth getting for playing on Xbox live??

It is the only reason to get it. The single player is dire. The only advantage over the PC multiplayer is the voice communications, it really adds to the game. Also there are no cheats, so its a level playing ground.

A new multiplayer level was made available for download this weekend. If they keep on releasing new levels, this will keep me going until Counterstrike and HAlo 2 are out.

Howyiz lads,

Ok for the live games, the current, really really popular one, so much so, you can hardly find a game on Ghost Recon anymore is

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

MotoGP and MotoGP 2 are supposed to be the dogs bollix.

But as for network play it's abolutely fantastic (spent 6hrs solid Sat night) the only thing you may run into is the odd bit of lag, but the thing is if it's persistent just quit the game and join another.

The voice comms really adds to the game, as communication is the key. To say I'm a fan of it is a tad understated.

Ghost Recon is another excellent game, but haven't touched it since I got RTCW.

Also have star wars clone wars, again haven't even looked at it.

As for signing up for live, use all the correct details ie name address, credit card details, but when it looks for a postcode, do not use dubln 8, dublin 4 etc, just type in a UK POSTCODE (a packet of flash wipes came in handy) and literally that's all you need, support wise I haven't needed to call them, the Zyxel USB/Ethernet modem that was supplied with Eircom's broadband worked a treat, and the xbox live dashboard does everything for ya.

Any other probs, let me know.

Nialler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I had a Xbox in the USA but i didnt have live well cuz the only good games out at the time were halo. The NFL games that game with Live over in america was no ware near as good as say Madden would be. I was reading a Article about E3 saying Sony Have exclusive Online Rites to all EA sports games, Fifa, madden, PGA. Bugger :(. Im thinking of getting the Xbox again and live, but can anyone tell wut the xbox is worth getting for and What will be the Best Xbox games online this year, Midtownmadess3 and Midnightclub 2 will be awesome, but are there any others. Thnx

Storm

Nialler since u have Eircom BB, there is a 4GB does, does Xbox Live use up loads of MB or not? Cuz im definatly be able to get Eircom but i dont wana cuz of the Cap, ill get ESAT or Netsoure, but if not avialable ill have to get Eircom. So does Live Rack up a big bill or what? Thnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

When's the official live date for ireland ?

Originally posted by Emboss
    When's the official live date for ireland ?

autumn 2003.

beta testing on now

Storm

I've been told that they wont charge if you go above the 4gb cap. Live doesn't chew up much of it I've only d/l u/l 800mb/300mb respectively.

If at all possible and it's available in your area, irishbroadband.ie do a 512/512 wireless connection, not sure if it's compatible with live but the 512 up is a definite plus, you'll be able to host games no problem with that.

I'm stuck with eircom for the year, but I really do believe that they should offer a iStream Gamer option (possibly with a small fee increase) with a higher upload speed. Specially with PS2 network gaming about to come online and even the pc gamers would benefit greatly from the higher speeds.

Nialler

Yep your right there. In the states i had a gamer option. I got 2mb/1mb its was tight i could host like 16-32 players no problem. And with the package i got a free game 2 it sucked but its the point that counts and it had a lil discount.

I jus got word that Netsource will be avliable in september for me, i wont get the soho package because its to crowded, but the SME looks fine with a 24:1 ratio and no cap its E90 but its worth is and 512K/128K is all i need for what i want, i cant really be bothered hosting servers id rather jus dominate them :)

Wut??? They wont charge you, but ive been hearing horror stories about people who have got stung by eircom for going over the limit. DO u play PC games online Nialler.?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Why dont u get the business package with Esat?

Its not avliable in my area :( . Your the Lucky selected few who get that amazing service im stuck with Netsoure or Eircom :( . Ill probably go with eircom cuz im really looking for low pings on games, im not big into downloading, maybe the odd Song or map now and again but thats around it, i jus want internet for Access to web, Emails and games and eircom looks the best even with its gay ass cap,

• Advertisement

My opinion is that PC Online gaming is by far better than Xbox.. at the moment because of its liberary of Good titles and its good controls for FPS. (and it can hold up to 64 people without lag :) ). But what at this time seperates Xbox live from PC online?

But what at this time seperates Xbox live from PC online?

Voice Com's as standard.

Can sit on sofa in front of your 32" TV with surround sound.... trash talking the world...mo'fo'

Unified Interface, easier to connect.

No Cheats!!

Though tbh since getting broadband I have upgraded my PC and am now working through a back catalogue of PC games on and offline. Xbox Live is neglected (until Midtown Madness 3).....I even have an extra beta account, lying there....unopened!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

Another advantage with online console gaming is that everyone is on a level playing field in terms of hardware, except for you buggers with IOL ADSL! ;) Consistantly low pings, oh if I had the money!

That leads me onto my question. Does XBL work well with Eircom i-stream and IOL RADSL? I know that RTCW gets laggy when hosting 5 or more, but other than that are there any issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Spud_Gun , i'm on eircom i-stream starter ( radsl ) and i have been playing live ( beta test ) for a week now .

i have only had bad lag a couple of times and i'm putting that mostly down to the server's i was on. other wise it's been playing very well with no problems.

i'm on eircom.

the lag with RTCW is a worldwide problem with the poor network code in RTCW, not an eircom/netsource/IOL issue.

When UC had its recent content download. I believe that there was also a patch to improve the network code/reduce lag.

http://gameinfowire.com/news.asp?nid=2357

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have a brand new PC and a relatively new XBOX. For some games the XBOX is better while for other games the PC can't be touched*.

*First Person Shooters - Accept it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

Online gaming with a PC is excellent, the things I would do to have Planetside! But I prefer the pick up and play aspect to a console, the always on communication, the pricing structure, the community feel. All these things create an amazing gaming atmosphere in my opinion. Online PC gaming is better for the more serious simulation, when you need to bind various different keys to different functions.

1st has anyone done a ping check with IOL BB yet? and do you know wut pings are 2 Jolt?
    2nd All u xbox live gamers how are u finding playing against or on american servers? is there much lag or is it just the game?
    3rd PC online gaming will always rule due to its capabilitys and its powerful software and libary of games, but its nice to see a console go online 2 for games like beat em ups and racers :)

I don't think anyone has IOL BB yet!!

I'm waiting for line activation, when every that happens.

• Advertisement

Im gona go for Eircom all i want it for is Gaming and they get good pings and ill get 150+ hours of pc gaming and 400hrs of Xbox live :). I jus gotta wait for it to get here. All u people with Broadband should stop complaining for a second and think about all the people who cant even get it till like next year, count ur self lucky.

PS, American servers are usually best ones :)

Advertisement