Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hettyfield / Ballinlough / Broadband

• 20-05-2003 8:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here connected to the Hettyfield exchange and ticked off with waiting for Eircom to get off their fat asses and upgrade the exchange?

(If you live in Ballinlough, you're probably on Hettyfield.)

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Was a post about the hettyfield exchange going live in a few months on the ireland offline board, but who knows what eircom mean by a few months.

I'm in the same situation with the carrigaline exchange. Fairly annoyed about it aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If it was about Hettyfield, it was probably me.

Eircom says a few weeks, Netsource says August. I'm not willing to wait until August, so if I could get a few people from Ballinlough together to give me a hand, I could put a basic website and a leaflet and maybe a poster together in a few days. Put the URL and a request for people to visit the site on the leaflet, and distribute them around the area. When people visit the site, ask them to register their interest. When we get a few hundred registrations, I'll hand deliver them to Eircom headquarters with a couple of journos in tow. If it works out, Hettyfield gets upgraded, and I can distribute the source code of the site to anyone that wants it.

I'll even pay for the printing myself if no-one else wants to contribute, but distribution of the leaflets would be a hell of a lot easier if there were a few of us at it. With half a dozen or more, we'd probably get it done in a day. Pints afterwards. Any excuse. :)

C'mon folks, Cork needs to lead the way! Any takers?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Sorry was on broadband forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96102

I'll direct some people to this thread aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Okay, I'll try to contribute. Get more people I know interested too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

ballinlough here, sounds like a good idea.

• Advertisement

Now we're getting somewhere! Anyone else?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

Im up for it GO GO GO !

!!!COME ON BALLINLOUGH ROAD !!!

Adam, how many is a few hundred ?

Hettyfield covers everyone in the 429* area ?

Anyone know the geographical boundaries for this ?

Adam, how many is a few hundred ?

I don't know Damien, but I think a fairly quick review of BT trigger levels would give us a good idea of where to set tipping points. For example, they say that they'll perform a cost analysis at 200 registrations, so we /could/ throw our first block of registrations at Eircom at that stage, which /could/ force them into setting a trigger level for Hettyfield. That said, Hettyfield has 4524 working lines, so there's a fair possibility of us getting more that 200 in the first block of registrations. If we hit all the customer premises that is.

Hettyfield covers everyone in the 429* area ?

I wouldn't swear to it, but I reckon so, yeah.

Anyone know the geographical boundaries for this ?

I don't, but I can ask.

adam

You used the phrase "tipping point"

Nice one :)

I'm all for this.

• Advertisement

You used the phrase "tipping point"

So? What obscure reference am I not getting?

I've posted on a couple of the large British BB4 sites asking which local BB4 sites people think are the best / most effective. This should make it easier to throw a site together fairly quickly. I also have broadband4ballinlough.org ready to register in my OpenSRS account, I just want to hold off to see if we can get a few more people to help first.

If you guys know anybody from the locality that might be willing to help, or even people outside the locality that would be happy to trade a day's letterbox-stuffing in Ballinlough for a day in their own locality later on, please direct them towards this thread and ask them to register and say hello.

Thanks,
    adam

Ah its just a Malcolm Gladwell book I like is all.

"
    OpenSRS is a comprehensive registration and management platform for domain names, Security Products and email.
    "

Ah now I know.

Damien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by yellum
    Ah its just a Malcolm Gladwell book I like is all.
    Currently at the top of my "to read" stack. The one on top always gets read first (yeah, that's why I call it the "stack" rather than the "pile"). Looks like an interesting read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Lads,

I was checking this one out today. It appears that eircom haven't started the work on upgrading Hettyfield, so the forecast for July-ish could be premature. As soon as I get word, I'll let ye know.

Anyone here any good at desktop publishing? We'll definitely need a few thousand flyers, and posters would be nice too.

I think there's at least one small printer in Ballinlough, so we might be able to hit them up for some or all of the printing costs.

Any other ideas?

adam

Originally posted by sceptre
    Looks like an interesting read.

Staying offtopic, yeah it is an interesting one. The link to graffiti and serious crime is interesting as is the popularity of suicide amongst young people in one of those oceania island countries.

Back on topic. I suck at DTP.

Nearly forgot about this -- I threw together a wee bb4 site last week on a whim, haven't had a chance to get back to it since.

http://beecher.net/tmp/bb4b/
    http://beecher.net/tmp/bb4b/register.htm

I don't think a site like this needs a whole lot tbh. A little information, a downloadable PDF poster and flyer, a registration form and that's about it. If I could get someone to do the PDFs, I could prolly do the rest meself.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

If I could get someone to do the PDFs, I could prolly do the rest meself.

I have Acrobat Writer (assuming that's what's required). My DTP skills are, however, total arse.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'm in Ballintemple myself and was fairly browned-off when I went to the eircom line check site and discovered that we weren't ready for the wonderful product that is eircom broadband. Sent off a bit of a stinker which went into the great eircom wastebasket I'm sure.

Haven't a design bone in my body but I'm happy to deliver leaflets.

Might be worth putting something on corkgeeks.net as well..

Ok, let's try this from a different angle: I was thinking that we should be able to get a printer to do some leaflets for cost or even for free, since they need broadband more than most. So what printers are in the Ballinlough area? I think there's one down the end of the Ballinlough Road - the crowd that publish Whazon used to be down there - so are they still there, and if not is there someone else?

EDIT: Completely missed the point of my own post, what a tool. What I meant was, if we can find a printer, they'll prolly design the flyers and posters for us too.

Might be worth putting something on corkgeeks.net as well..

May I be the first to say: Eh?

adam

• Advertisement

Quick update, the following is Eircom's revised rollout plan for Cork from now until the end of the year:
    • Hettyfield
    • Glanmire
    • Cobh
    • Kinsale
    • Clonakilty
    • Little Island
    • Mahon
    • Carrigaline
    • Midleton
    The exchanges are apparently listed in order of deployment, however it should be noted that Hettyfield has been highlighted for deployment for some time, and there are no actual /dates/ for rollout. I'll keep an eye on the exchange though and let you know if there are any developments.

adam

Oh, I might hold off offering to pay for DSL for the mechanics down the road and have it beamed wirelessly up the road to me.

Might be worth putting something on corkgeeks.net as well.

Scratch that.. site is dead and was corkgeeks.com. This was the replacement for the Ireland Online Users Group - its attendance has more or less dwindled to 1 or 2.

Still roll on Hettyfield..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

is your site gone adam?

<drunk>

no

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

ah thanks, friend was asking me about it

Got a wee shock this morning. Happened to be on the eircom site and clicked on the tester for i-stream. Lo and behold my line passed. Went and put i-stream into me basket to check exchange and it was as usual - exchange not enabled. Ah well.

.. not much of a story really ...

broadband for Ballintemple still ain't here...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement