Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual machine heads

• 21-05-2003 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I got these machine heads off a friend for a present. (No good to him as he plays a Gibson, and I have a strat). The brand is GOTOH.

The string goes through, but you don't wind. Instead you get a flat screwdriver (perpendicular to head) and tighten. THEN the tuning keys are used to tune.

screw
    driver at head ......................neck............................... body
    |
    V
    /======\__________________________(||||||||||||||||||| | | | || | | | |||||)

Excuse the crap drawing but I cant find a pic on the net. If anyone can tell me how reliable this system is, I'd be a happy chappy. I'll add more after my exam tomorrow :(

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Basically you mean instead of a hole to put the string through theres a slit, and you cut the string down, bend it at 90 degrees at the top, place it in the hole in the top, then wind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

No the string goes through as normal, and it almost looks like a normal tuning key, but instead of wrapping the string, you use a screwdriver on top, and a pole comes up, gripping the string on the inside.

Here's a much better diagram :). Use MSWord or OpenOffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

They are locking machine heads..

Ye'd think they came from the twilight zone the way yer going on..

NeM

Is it normal for the 1st and 2nd strings to snap if the screw is tightened too much? This keeps happening to me. I think it might be this particular type of machine head, and possibly a different type will work fine.

What systems are there (aside from the lock on the neck) for keeping better tune?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jeez I'm confused, so instead of giving advice i'll tell a joke.

a man walks into a guitar shop and says "Excuse me, my guitar has no metal bars where I push the strings onto to get different notes, WHAT THE HELL'S GOING ON!!?"
    The shop assistant says - "Hey, no fret."

Advertisement