Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL rollout in Lucan

Options
  • 21-05-2003 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I just got off the phone with Elaine in NTL. I'm still waiting to get their broadband service in my estate and I wanted to see if there was any news on when it might be available.
    Elaine mentioned that they had a briefing on the rollout earlier in the week and they were told that they were 'actively rolling out broadband in the lucan area'. Up until now I've been led to believe that it was a test phase of 4,00 homes but this does make it sound like maybe the 'test pahase' was a sucess and they're planning to expand at some stage.
    The problem is I still can't get a date from them. I was wondering if anyone else ou there has heard anything more concrete on the schedule and the estates that will be included next.
    I know 40 coats has been connected by NTL......has anyone else got connected in Lucan yet? I'm wondering what the feedback on the service is like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by raeGten
    Elaine mentioned that they had a briefing on the rollout earlier in the week and they were told that they were 'actively rolling out broadband in the lucan area'.

I'd have told Elaine that there is no such thing as a 'passive rollout' ........in my experience.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

Originally posted by Muck
    I'd have told Elaine that there is no such thing as a 'passive rollout' ........in my experience.

M

I know what you mean....I think she was trying to tell me not to give up hope though that SOME DAY they'll get round to me. I'm not sure what the delay is. If the test has gone okay and they have less work to do to set up each new estate then why not go for it. They certainly sem to be getting a lot of interested callers from Lucan (or maybe that just me calling them every day for the last fortninght!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

From what I hear the Real test is when they hit a certain level of usage on the estates that they have already upgraded in Lucan and which appeared on a list in another NTL thread recently.

Get your mates in those estates to sign up, load the network and prove to NTL they are on the right track. Thats what will make NTL roll out further.

So for every phone call to NTL you should resolve to make one to someone you know on those estates too....

M

That sounds like a good idea, except I really don't know of anyone else who has been connected yet....except for 40 coats on this forum. He seems happy enough but the engineer told him there were'nt that many other people in the estate using the connection yet - so who knows.
    I would ahve thought we would have heard of more people through this forum in Lucan who have been connected by NTL as it's ABOUT broadband or the lack of it. Where are all the new NTL subscribers?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I live in Hillcrest and i have been advised that it will be june July hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Just got off the phone with NTL and I've been told that the rollout is on hold indefinitely. They were waiting to see how the pilot phase went but no new locations were being converted at present. When I suggested that it might take years I was told that they didn't think it would take that long. Oh goodie!!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I cancelled NTL 'cos was just getting tired of hearing
    "BB will be in Lucan in 3 months time"
    and told then - "give me a shout when you roll out BB"
    still waiting ....

Since then have gone FTV and IrishWan :p - all I need to do is figure out if I can ditch eircom to...

To be fair NTL are way ahead of the telco's when it comes to providing BB - if only they had rolled out city wide after the Tallaght trials....

(the cynic in me is asking if it is in preparation for a sell out or have NTL realised what BBC going FTA could do...)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I live in the older part of Lucan and as soon as I heard NTL were offering BB I was onto them like a shot, they listed off a group of estates that they said they would be offering BB in June. Unfortunatley I'm not living in one of them. I live about 100 metres from the Ballydowd phone exchange which is DSL enabled but I'm connected to the exchange in Lucan village which is not. I'm just out of range of all the satellite BB operators, so I'm screwed everyway. Nobody from NTL, Eircom, ESAT, VIA, Irishwisp. Leap can give any idea when they be able to offer BB in my area,. I've just given up on them all. I've got ISDN so roll on FRIACO at least I'll be able to connect 24/7 for (I hope) a reasonable cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Oisin,

Eircom are due to roll out to Lucan Town eexchange by the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

They are currently offering cable internet to a test area of 4,000 houses in Lucan (how did they make it exactly 4,000 I wonder) and I listed some of the estates in t'other thread. That's it until the end of the summer I'm told, which I would take to mean next year if we are lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Eircom are due to roll out to Lucan Town eexchange by the Autumn.

Thanks for the info gombín, I live and hope!, BTW any source for your info?

I only found a voice mail on my phone yesterday from the 9th of May. It was Fergal in NTL calling me back to say that although he couldn't give me a deffinate date on when NTL would have my estate connected the engineers had told him it would be within the month (!?!?). If that's true I'd be happy with that.
    I tried to call him back today to confirm but he's not in today. I got to speak to a guy called Brian instead though. He suggested I check back with them in a couple of weeks (around the 9th of June) and see what the story is then.
    No I know this is one of those things that could really drag on but he was able to tell me a couple of interesting things.
    The first one is that the roll out HAS moved beyond the initial 4,000 houses. So there must be more estates connected (or at least in the process of being connected).
    The second thing was that NTL had made a bit of a mistake with Lucan. Initially they picked Lucan for the test site because of the 'quality of the cables' in the area. The problem is that the demographics were all wrong and there was a very low take up so there was no return on investment. This time around they've gone with Lucan because it has the right demographics and they expect more take up.
    It's just interesting to see the way thy're thinking on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭unnamed

I have a friend in NTL what told me the lucan roll-out is going very well.

NTL are already in profit from the 4,000 house rollout that is why they will be expanding it so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

I just saw a billboard-on-a-van or what ever they are called - with an add for Broadband available in Lucan and to call 1800 923 005. It was going from Balgaddy to somewhere in Clondalkin.

I thought I would give them a call to see if was available in my estate. I called them about a month ago and they said that my estate wasn't hooked up yet. I thought that I would give it a go anyway. Lo and behold a girl called Susan said it was and that I could go ahead and order it over the phone.

I am living in Castle Riada Dr. It was on the original list of estates that was on a previous post but it seems that it is only recently been upgraded.

Anyway, it might be worth while for others in Lucan to give them a call.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Is the NTL rollout in Lucan over new two way cable or is this a new method of rolling out broadband over the older cable and if so could they roll it out over the rest of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I received the forms for IOL Broadband and thought I would check with NTL one last time before sending them off. Told the guy answering the phone that Iwas aware of the rollout ,the pricing and that my estate wasn't converted yet but did they have any idea when it might be. In response I was told that my estate wasn't in phase one, which was still being rolled out, and might be in phase 2.

In other words they are still putting in connections in the phase 1 area and when that is done will look at setting up phase 2. Sounds like 3 plus months to me so I started filling out the IOL form

Then UTV posted.

Still by the end of this week I should have gone for something (unless IBB announce availability of the new system in Lucan on Friday that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Found A5 brochure from NTL in my postbox when returning home tonight. It quoted same 1800 923 005 number and had all the details about pricing etc. as if we didn't know. Thought I'd give it one more go, as I rang them last 3 weeks ago with no result - and...

Will be connected Monday morning

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sorry UTVIP, just cancelled your service - it has been good while it lasted. To eircom two big fingers for ripping me off all these years on my ISDN - just ordered the line to be downgraded to analog (wish I could do without it altogther, but NTL is not that quick to offer voice over cable)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I believe it was my post which listed the estates in the initial rollout.
    I have one favour to ask of this thread:
    Can any Jammy sods posting here to say that they are/can get this service please let us know precisely where in Lucan they are? It will give me and others an idea of how far and wide the rollout has progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

oldbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by unkel
    Will be connected Monday morning

Sorry UTVIP, just cancelled your service

hehehe If I was in your position I think I'd wait until NTL actually connected me and I was surfing away on my new shiny cable modem before I'd think of cancelling any other internet service :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

Originally posted by milltown
    I believe it was my post which listed the estates in the initial rollout.
    I have one favour to ask of this thread:
    Can any Jammy sods posting here to say that they are/can get this service please let us know precisely where in Lucan they are? It will give me and others an idea of how far and wide the rollout has progressed.
    I got it a while back, I'm on Griffeen Glen Ave.

Advertisement