Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quick Q

• 21-05-2003 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I'm belgian, speak englisch, french and dutch fluent but my writing isn't what its supposed to be :)

Now the Q,
    2 words,
    to lie (telling a lie)
    to lie (the horizontal position :))

are they both lying or is one of them laying?
    I asked this to several irish people but they don't seem to know either.

tnx, Tripkipke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

lying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Surprisingly the confusing "lying" and "laying" isn't that rare. Or at least its common enough that I found the following note at http://www.askoxford.com/betterwriting/classicerrors/grammartips/lyingandlaying:
    Lying and Laying

Don't mix up 'lie' and 'lay'. You lay something, as in they are going to lay the carpet, but you lie down on a bed or other flat surface. Sentences such as he is laying on the bed or why don't you lie it on the bed? are wrong: correct forms are he is lying on the bed and why don't you lay it on the bed?

The past tense and past participle of 'lay' is 'laid', as in they laid the groundwork or she had laid careful plans; the past tense of 'lie' is 'lay' (he lay on the floor) and the past participle is 'lain' (she had lain on the bed for hours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tripkipke

thanks this was really helpfull :)

Advertisement