Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vocal Help!!

• 21-05-2003 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

I have like frog in my throat, Cackle, Rough voice thing. Larygitis? (SP?) the last few days , and im playing a gig tomorrow!!! anyone know anything that can help sort this!

helpf meh!

gar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Play nothing but Motorhead covers? ;)

Don't talk, try some milk/honey.

Throat drops can help too.

Failing that, try some of that antiseptic thingy you can get in a pharmacist's, it'll numb the throat, so you could sing regardless of the state of your throat. You'd possibly end up with a nastier throat after the gig though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Cut a lemon in half, put both halves in a pot of water and boil the water, add a teaspoon or two of salt. Pour the water into a cup and lots of raw honey. Stir and then drink away.

Best remedy for a sore throat ever.

Good luck with the gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

See the thing is, its not sore at all. Its literally just affecting the voice. its all flemmy and crackeld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yeah I'd say go to a pharmacist.

Whatever you do - never drink cold water when you are singing, it is bad for a singing voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by bombidol
    See the thing is, its not sore at all. Its literally just affecting the voice. its all flemmy and crackeld.

I've had some trouble with this as well. A hot drink works wonders, it loosens up any phlegm there, and relaxes or expands the vocal cords (or something like that), smoothing out the whole voice thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Sarky
    I've had some trouble with this as well. A hot drink works wonders, it loosens up any phlegm there, and relaxes or expands the vocal cords (or something like that), smoothing out the whole voice thing.

Yep, really hot coffee. Tea won't work.

Try a really light warmup before the gig too. Something that's not strenous, but that'll help your vox relax.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Had what sounds like the very same problem as you a couple of weeks ago.

I went to the pharmasists. He gave me an antiseptic/anesthetic spray and also something to break down the phlegm. I cant for the life of me remember the names of them. It cleared up pretty quickly after that.

Best bet is to talk to your pharmasist theyll know best. I had let mine go for longer than I should of.

Best Wishes,
    A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Try a hot whiskey, it'll burn but will clear it up for an hour or two, but you'll bne wreck agained after. might get you through the gig!

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

A big lump of honey in a glass fill up with warm water,stir well and down it,if you dont get sick your cured,trust me works wonders,i always get bad sore throats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by bombidol

have you noticed that your testicles have dropped and that you are growing hair in places that didnt have hiar before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

lol, **** off ww)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by The FANJ
    Cut a lemon in half, put both halves in a pot of water and boil the water, add a teaspoon or two of salt. Pour the water into a cup and lots of raw honey. Stir and then drink away.

Best remedy for a sore throat ever.

Good luck with the gig.

i seconds this. even if youre throat is not sore, it will coat it. and also, stay away from dairy product for a few hours before u sing, as they encourage phlegm apparantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to a doctor or pharmacist. Be wary of using any type of painkiller as you could injure yourself more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Victor
    Talk to a doctor or pharmacist. Be wary of using any type of painkiller as you could injure yourself more.

but at least you wouldnt feel the pain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You don't want to numb the pain in this case as your voice could break even more (making you sound like one of those 'pro'wrestling people methinks). It can permanently damage your voice, which normally isn't a bad thing as it makes you manly sounding but to be considered if thinking about a professional career in vocals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

you can stop you singing voice going to sh!t by...not eating cheese and avoiding cold things and salt before you sing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Originally posted by thedrowner
    i seconds this

The patent is pending so fup off. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by The FANJ
    The patent is pending so fup off. ;)

yeah;...dunno if anyone had told u yet but im really slow so ur gonna have to explain this to me....:)

perhaps if i was sober...
    but no. oh no...hang on...i think i get it. (uh oh. im turning into those people that laugh a minute after a joke has been said and still dont get it!!!!!! i tink my brian has bunrt out after the exams)(or during them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

cut down dairy - stop drinking milk
    coffee and alcohol are no-no's - they will dehydrate
    if you smoke - stop (apart from improving your voice it'll give you a few more years of gigging)
    are you warming up ? (it's using muscles, just like an athlete....think about it !)

suggest you get a vocal coach, if you're serious about your voice, they can give you better (and informed) advice

also try taking a look here :
    from pharmiweb.com
    soundcheck magazine

if the frog don't start paying rent...evict the little fe<ker

Advertisement