Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Broadband Network

Options
  • 21-05-2003 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Today I noticed a new sign on the South Link. I didn't have a good look at it, but it says "Cork City Broadband Network", and it seems to be something part-funded by the EU.

Does anyone know what this is about? There is a new mast across from the cinema in Douglas, too. Is this related to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Originally posted by plazz2000
    Hi,

Today I noticed a new sign on the South Link. I didn't have a good look at it, but it says "Cork City Broadband Network", and it seems to be something part-funded by the EU.

Does anyone know what this is about? There is a new mast across from the cinema in Douglas, too. Is this related to it?

I know that Amocom http://www.amocom.com have been providing wireless broadband in Cork for some time and I have posted on this previously, but I don't know if the posters or transmitter is theirs or someone else's though, must check out the cinema one ! Also their broadband is symmetric, same speed in both directions. They mainly aim at businesses though and have rung me on several occasions, the crowd next door to where I work are getting it so it will be interesting to see how good the performance is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

im gonna get amocom as soon as its available, post back the results u get speed/latency wise douglasman,

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

This is one of the 19 national MAN networks funded by the DCMNR under the NDP and also by the EU.

It will consist of a dark fibre and ducting network

Advertisement