Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help wanted setting up a fantasy F1 league

Options
  • 21-05-2003 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭

i am working on a new project where i want to be able to users pick three drivers who will they will think will finsh in the top 3 in each race. i want them to log in and be able to check their scores.

So before each race they pick 3 drivers and gets points for each one who finshes in the top 3.

The server i hope to set this up has php.

any ideas how it might be done or where on the net i might get some help?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I'd use some JScript to let the user pick the 3 drivers from a select box and submit the value to a page which would then connect to the database and insert the values

have a look
    http://javascript.internet.com/miscellaneous/

they have a good range of JScripts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

JScript?!
    Just use a standard html form and check the input server side before adding it to your database.

You will need to dome some programming for the actual point allocation and other game logic, i would imagine. Does your host support java servlets?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

this is defo jsp/servlet land. Im working on a project similar to this at moment so if you want clarification just mail me on info@consultclifford.com - maybe i can help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

It's not that small a job:

You will need

1) some sort of a user sign up, sign in, management system.

2) a table with the F1 drivers names and details

3) a table with the F1 races

4) Pages to allow users to select drivers for each race
    Probably need to code it so that based on date, they are only allowed select drivers for the next upcoming race.
    Would need to ensure the code closed entries before the race time.

5) Selections get written to the entries database table eg: id, userid, raceid, driver1id, driver2id, driver3id

6) race results get written to a table that contains the raceid, the driverid and their placeing (or points based on their placing)

7) than all you have to do is a nice select to calculate who is picking the winners

You might also want to send out a mail with results and overall rankings after each race, and maybe a reminder email to users a few days beore each race.

PHP/MySQL would do the job no bother. jsp/servlet would also, but I don't see how it would exclusively be it's domain.

I have a client that might be interested in getting involved in some way, they are setting up a motorsport web site.

PM me if interested.

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I did one two years ago and ran it last year and the year before. 2 drivers, 1 engine and 1 chassis. I didn't run it this year because figuring out scoring for the 2 qualifying rounds was awkard and I didn't have enough time to get it setup and running before the season started.

It's all in php using a mysql backend.

Mail me at
    $name = "belial"
    $domin = "redbrick.dcu.ie"
    $address = $name . "@" . $domain
    (Goddam spam spiders getting addresses from sites.)

And I'll let you have the code, would even be interested in helping you get it up and running. Too late for this season unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭irishgeo

thanks a lot. I have emailed you.

Advertisement