Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of towns with 2.5 Gigabit fibre

Options
  • 21-05-2003 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Just to highlight the fact that there is no reason we should be suffering from limited bandwidth within the island, all these towns are hooked up with 2.5G fibre. Source: www.infrastructure.ie. Painful interface, but interesting info.

Arklow Ashbourne Athlone Athy Bagenalstown Bailieborough Ballina Ballinasloe Ballybofey/Stranorlar Ballyshannon Bandon Bantry Birr Blarney Blessington Boyle Bray Bundoran Cahir Carlow Town Carrick-on-Shannon Carrick-on-Suir Carrickmacross Carrigaline Castlebar Castleblayney Cavan Town Celbridge Charleville Clara Claremorris Clonakilty Clones Clonmel Cobh Cork City Donegal Town Drogheda Dublin City Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown Dunboyne Dundalk Dungarvan Dunshaughlin Ennis Enniscorthy Fingal Galway City Gorey Gort Greystones Kanturk Kells Kilcock Kilcoole Kildare Town Kilkenny City Kill Killarney Kinsale Leixlip Letterkenny Limerick City Listowel Longford Town Loughrea Macroom Mallow Maynooth Midleton Monaghan Town Mullingar Naas Navan Nenagh New Ross Newcastle West Newtownmountkennedy Portarlington Portlaoise Rathkeale Roscommon Town Roscrea Shannon Skibbereen Sligo Town South Dublin Templemore Thurles Tipperary Town Tralee Tuam Tullamore Waterford City Westport Wexford Town Wicklow Town Youghal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Sorry, I really should have done a search before posting. This has been discussed previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

yo!

about half your towns are on the notorious western digital corridor

totally agree about the interface, it barfs my browsers java VM

its well out of date already, the ESB fibre is not on the list or the aurora one

you can delete the thread if you edit the first post

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What does this mean exactly, as I live in blessington, but I've read we don't receive DSL for anotjer 2 or 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Giblet
    What does this mean exactly, as I live in blessington, but I've read we don't receive DSL for anotjer 2 or 3 years.
    It means the gov fked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    Just to highlight the fact that there is no reason we should be suffering from limited bandwidth within the island, all these towns are hooked up with 2.5G fibre. Source: www.infrastructure.ie. Painful interface, but interesting info.

Following your post I went to visit infrastructure.ie to see if they had updated the thing since a previous trip in that direction and comments submitted to webmaster@website in question.

All I got (on database link):

" Session Timeout

Your session has timed out,

Sessions 'time out' if the application is not accessed for over 10 minutes.

please return to the homepage to start a new session."

Conclusion: Not only is Ireland's Infrastructure deficient, the propaganda about same doesn't work either!

zz.. (in shock and disbelief)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

flavOrflav,

Who cares if this has been discussed before. I have found the information on this list very enlightening.

Also, I am more than pleased to see that my home towns of Ballybofey/Stranorlar are hooked up!. Although I must admit that I am totally ignorant as too the advantages to me of having 2.5G fibre within reach ??...

Keep the thread, for a number of good reasons includingthe fact that I bet a lot of this forums users will not have been aware of this list!

Paddy20;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my town of Dunshaughlin is on that list too... and yet nothing about BB coming here from eircom... an eircom guy came out last week to us regarding a phone problem and I asked him did he know if we wud get BB here and hes reply was' dunshaughlin well only get broadband if there is enuff interest in this area, yes we know there are more than 3,000 people living in ur town'.

Wot also worries me if ppl here are trying to register with IOL BB does that count as nothing as far as eircom are concerned since Eircom wud be laying down the BB in the first place.

Just to credit that previous thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90630&highlight=infrastructure.ie

And the real gem of a doc that is also on that thread:
    http://www.wdc.ie/db-files/Bulletin_44pgcover3.pdf
    Which covers the whole broadband infrastructure thing, in a nice way, from only last December.

I could swear some of content has an air of muck about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

oooh we've got 2.5g through donegal town - cant even get a f***ing ISDN line in Donegal Town
    i despair

apologies for expletive but the whole situation is pathetic beleive me i actually have no problem living in a internet backwater but just don't promise me anything and my hopes won't be raised and i'll concentrate on retraining to apply for grants for community centres or something

I pulled the info from the infrastructure.ie site, but is the info true?

Muck, is it?

• Advertisement

Let me analogise.

These magnificent "motorways" criss cross the land, that much is true.

The telcos want loadsa free governement money to build "slip roads" onto them. In my sexperience, a motorway with no slip road is useless, but it looks dead cute on an infrastructure map :D

The government is telling the telcos, we gave ya money to build the motorways on the ASSUMPTION that you lot would build the slip roads......so feck off.

Its a Mexican standoff of sorts, non?

M

Originally posted by flav0rflav

I could swear some of content has an air of muck about it?

I had nothing whatsoever to do with it . I have complimented the Author , Patricia O Hara of the WDC , on her clarity of thought and the research that went into it. Regrettably very little has changed since except that Tuam will get DSL by September 2004 .

No other document has clarified the dire state of Broadband in rural Ireland (not just the west) any better than the WDC report which is

http://www.wdc.ie/db-files/Bulletin_44pgcover3.pdf

...as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ahh if only one could get at the 2 fibre networks running past his front door some of which are rumoured to terminate in his local exchange :( BB in 50 years or less id say :)

I'd like to analogise too.

"Imagine if you will the M50, it can be blue or black."

Sorry. Picture a 4 lane motorway all around the country. 2 lanes in each direction.

Now picture it full of double decker buses(green or orange). The buses are bumper to bumper, but, moving at 69 mph, computer controlled, and avoiding penalty points.

There is a driver in each bus (unions), and in every 12th bus there is a passenger.

There are exits at points around the country, but there is a big (ie. expensive) toll gate at each. And, at a select few locations, there do appear to be bus stops, but the ticket machine is rather slow.

And off in the distance there is a guy with a clock around his neck standing on a flyover looking at this structure and thinking, "It's all there. We just need to remove the barriers."

bump. to move the list of dslams and list of fibre together to make people see that all the basics are there. Does anyone know if the stats for the copper lines are publically available. I've seen statements like 'rural lines on avg are 4km'. But would like more details.

60% of rural or small town like Kinnegad dwellers are within 4km of their exchange, source = Eircom themselves.

Alcatel dslams are rated to do:

24awg wire (0.5mm)
    <= 2km, 8Mbps
    <= 4km, 5Mbps

26awg wire (0.4mm)
    <= 2km, 7Mbps
    <= 4km, 3Mbps

So 60% of rural should be capable of > 3Mbps. And probably 90% of suburban > 5Mbps.

Eircom say there are 500,000 lines set for ADSL access?

Bring it on. Right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I'm sorry, but what exactly is your point ?
    That we are capable of so much more than the paltry offering we are getting ?

Gav

Yes, the development of the economy is being hampered by the financial gain of a private company in a monopoly position.

As far as I can see, Eircom are restricting both at the ADSL end, through their backhaul network, and at the handover point to independent service providers, by both technical and costing mechanisms. This of course, brought about by the failure of the regulator to set viable costs for competitive LLU'ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

In the WDC doc which Muck provides a link to above it states that for DSL to be profitably installed in any exchange it needs a minimum of 100 users on that exchange. Apparently this information was provided by one of the Teleco's.

If this is the case why do we think Eircom are only going to roll out DSL to 150 exchanges...?

M.

• Advertisement

Eircom will roll out DSL to 150 exchanges by September 2004

They Told us so in January. There are 1100 exchanges in the Country.

Eircom have no plans to roll out DSL to the other 950 exchanges but that may change if they get a significant proportion of the rollout business from our new 3G operator, Three as they call themselves.

Three will not require much coverage outside the big cities until well after September 2004 anyway. If the ESB get a load of the work instead then Eircom will go into a sulk which could last years.

Comreg have recently discovered the "pizza box" DSL solution which allows an exchange to be enabled for as few as 8 users, that means that Comreg have discovered the "Pizza Box" but it does not mean much else in the absence of a proper USO and the a dose of the vision thing.

M

ComReg, need to bring down the cost for Local Loop Unbundling, and not just the line rental cost, but the colo costs.

Or the government has to step in and make eircom's bitstream faster and cheaper, again both for line rental and interconnect charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Esat BT managed 40 exchanges out of their e10m funding which equates to 250k for each DSL'ed exchange. They would need about 300 DSL customers to make a business case for a new DSL exchange. Outside of the top 40 exchanges already DSL'ed you would find it hard to get 300 new DSL users per exchange!!

eircom know this so are under no pressure to upgrade exchanges to DSL. They will keep flogging ISDN until a decent challenge comes in from a wireless source, which could be at least 2 years away.

Once Eircom feel the pain from wireless they will show an appetite for Pizza Boxes or small scale DSL rollouts in plain english.

Eircom will provide spot competition for Wireless where they feel that certain business models are impinging on their leased line business. That will be obvious by the end of this year in some areas. If NTL showed up with a vengeance in the central business district in Dublin/Galway/Waterford then Eircom would feel real pain. Chorus have the Limerick and Cork cable which sez it all.

Eircom may use their own 3.5Ghz wireless licences to do so. They have enough wireless licences to be the biggest WISP in the state, and have had these licences for 3 years now. Their primary CPE wireless supplier, Airspan, has gone over to the Wimax forum. Wimax 802.16 is where the big battles will be fought, Eircom will want to be in there causing ínterference in every sense of the word.

M

Muck,

had a read of the Comreg document but could not see any references to the pizza boxes/small scall DSL you mention. Could you point me in the right direction ?

Thanks

M.

After banging on about Marconi being the father of text messaging she said:

"Ireland presents unique opportunities for the development of innovative new technologies
    in areas where special solutions for broadband access are required. Small-scale ‘pizza
    box’ sized DSL solutions are now available which are designed to serve as few as 8
    customers. These are suitable for areas where demand for broadband services may be
    initially too low to justify installing a large scale DSLAM. This is likely to be a common
    scenario in Ireland and the need for such a product could have been anticipated and
    developed here."

I would have mentioned, in passing, back to her that Galway in the 1910's and 1920's followed Kerry in the 1860s and 1870s at the leading edge of the Communications revolutions of their days, Wireless and Cable respectively .

Galway and Kerry are now information backwaters largely controlled by a duopoly whose inaction is tolerated by a regulator with no vision.

You misread the real message of Marconi Etain......again.

M

Muck,

had a read of the Comreg document but could not see any references to the pizza boxes/small scall DSL you mention. Could you point me in the right direction ?

Thanks

M.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Page 13.
    Ireland presents unique opportunities for the development of innovative new technologies
    in areas where special solutions for broadband access are required. Small-scale ‘pizza
    box’ sized DSL solutions are now available which are designed to serve as few as 8
    customers. These are suitable for areas where demand for broadband services may be
    initially too low to justify installing a large scale DSLAM. This is likely to be a common
    scenario in Ireland and the need for such a product could have been anticipated and
    developed here.

Do you really think eircom are going to bother with small scale upgrades. They are the incumbant. Those pizza boxes are targeted at the competitive carriers, of which we have, uh, esat?

The local loop unbundling cost has to come down to enable competitors. Japan - line rental set to $1.50 in autumn 2001. Sales pitches there are now based on speed, not price, as they are all as cheap as each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement