Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU query

Options
  • 21-05-2003 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

Right lads,
    I want to get a XP1800+ AMD cpu for €70 off komplett, but for an extra euro i can get a XP2000+ AMD.

In your experience, which is better for overclocking?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

For a few extra euro's id go for the xp2100 , aparently its a good overclocker - know one guy got it to 2320mhz which is pretty damm sweat. i know the xp1700 has great potential, xp1800 havent heard much about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Where would one find a listing of steppings of CPUs and they're o/cing characteristics?

And can you somehow ensure that the chip a retailer sends out is from aparticular batch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

The only place I know off in Ireland that have oem xp chips that you can check is marx-computers.com
    I bought an 1800b off them after komplett send me a 1700a when they had they b code on the site. It wasn't the greatest stepping but it runs sweetly at 2000 speeds and I reckon there is more in it. (happy at magic 2Ghz)

overclockers.co.uk have the codes , I think don't have time to check for link

Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The athlon 1700 axp JIUHB is the best CPU for overclocking by a country mile. However, its very hard to get in Ireland. I got mine from CPU city in the uk. All of the JIUHB's have huge overclocking potential :) I just need to get a good mobo for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Between the 2 you have mentioned I would definitly go for the 1800 as it is a thoroughbred B while the 2000 is a thoroughbred A The B's overclock much better than the A's .
    I can say the 2100's are good aswell as mine will go to at least 2.4GHz with good cooling. 2.2 should be very easy to get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Ok considering getting the 2100 from the feedback i've heard from you guys..

Just one more thing.. Komplett have the 2200 priced cheaper than the 2100 (I know it's only a few cents cheaper, but still..)
    Why is that? The 2200 is theoreticly faster isn't it..?

They hardly price on overclocking ability do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Komplett have the XP2400 fsb 266 on special on Monday for 90 euro. Not sure of its overclocking potential though. Still for that price I'm going to order one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by Praetorian
    The athlon 1700 axp JIUHB is the best CPU for overclocking by a country mile. However, its very hard to get in Ireland. I got mine from CPU city in the uk. All of the JIUHB's have huge overclocking potential :) I just need to get a good mobo for it.

I've heard about these - people buying JIUHB stepping 1700+ and 1800+ (=1.47GHz and - I think - 1.53GHz, respectively) and cranking them up to in the region of 2.1GHz (i.e. 2600+ speeds) on air cooling at stock voltage :eek:. Of course, no two chips are exactly the same, your mileage may vary, etc. etc., but the statistics suggest that pretty much all of this stepping are doing these sorts of speeds, and an overclock in the region of 50% is not to be sneezed at...

The new AXIAY's, perhaps (remember them), only better?
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I would go for a 2400 at €90 as it should overclock as good as a 2100

Advertisement