Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who does Bush remind you of?

Options
  • 21-05-2003 8:13pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

As strongly suggested by the moderators :), a new forum. I hope it's allright to put this in politics. Well which leader does Bush remind you of the most?

Who does Bush remind you of 35 votes

Bush senior
    0% 0 votes
    Hitler
    31% 11 votes
    Winston Churchhill
    31% 11 votes
    Napoleon
    5% 2 votes
    Other (Please Specify with followup post)
    8% 3 votes
    Hes a true original - no-one like him
    22% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think we'll need a few more entries...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The two obvious extra options have been added.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'd compare Bush jnr to Hitler, except that Hitler turned Germany's economy around during the 1930s.

Bush isn't that smart.

Soooooooo .. I'm voting "original". There's noone else with as much power and as little sense as that man

I'm voting Hitler, but with the caveat that I mean Hitler pre-1939.
    And lemming, he didn't turn the economy around, he managed a fake boom through defence spending. Had WW2 not happened, Germany would have fallen even further than it did in '29.

Originally posted by Sparks
    he didn't turn the economy around, he managed a fake boom through defence spending.

I still say Bush isn't that smart ..... ;)

• Advertisement

Hey, I'm not arguing! I'm just a pedant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

And lemming, he didn't turn the economy around, he managed a fake boom through defence spending. Had WW2 not happened, Germany would have fallen even further than it did in '29.
    Moot point. I've heard convincing arguments pro and against Nazi economic policy in the 30's (as an aside, most notable pro-Nazi-Economist being Keynes).

As for Bush Jr., I'm going with John Wayne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Other: A monkeylike assclown from Texas. Haven't seen too many of those.

I didn't follow the sheep & vote Hitler, because Hitler had this sort of evil genius in his eyes and ideas. Dubyah couldn't think up an idea beyond "This is how Texans dress", and all I see in his eyes is a watery empty blandness that a drooling retard would be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Hitler murdered 6 million jews. There's a big difference, no matter how you look at it. Saying Bush is just like Hitler (no matter how awful you think Bush is) is just the latest trendy populist comparison.

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    Hitler murdered 6 million jews. There's a big difference, no matter how you look at it. Saying Bush is just like Hitler (no matter how awful you think Bush is) is just the latest trendy populist comparison.
    Here we go again... :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=912639#post912639

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

...and it's worth repeating. To say Bush is the same as Hitler is simply retarded, and shows ignorance-beyond-belief of Hitlers murderous actions during WWII.

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    ...and it's worth repeating. To say Bush is the same as Hitler is simply retarded, and shows ignorance-beyond-belief of Hitlers murderous actions during WWII.
    Hitlerite comparisons are not retarded, but impractical as it is beyond the emotional maturity of most people to be able to do so dispassionately.

For example, look at your rebuttal. Once you plough through your accusations where even considering such a comparison is being “retarded” or showing “ignorance-beyond-belief”, you though out the following argument; Bush hasn’t committed genocide like Hitler, ergo you can’t make the comparison. Contrary to popular belief, there’s more to either of these chaps than the topic of genocide.

As I’ve stated before, I’m personally against such comparisons as most people get too emotional and irrational the moment you make them, not because there may not be merit in the comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

edit: double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

I would say he's most like Martin Luther King. Like Martin Luther King, Bush is a man of peace, he campaigns tirelessly for human rights, he's a man of deep religious convictions and he is attacked by opponents of change who despise his campaign of civil rights for non-whites.

bonkey, can you put in a Martin Luther King option, seeing as how there's a Hitler option for the lefties to vote for?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

He reminds me a bit of Thatcher. They both went to war about 3 years into their term of office and both were equally 'popular' with their electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Biffa nice attempt at a troll. Martin Luther King inspired, hell how about Joan of Arc or Mother Theresa.

We will not be adding Martin Luther King as it would taint the memory of a great man being associated with the Gibbon in the White house.

Gandalf.

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    I would say he's most like Martin Luther King. Like Martin Luther King, Bush is a man of peace,

Peace by "superior firepower" eh? Blow them all to hell. Then we'll have peace :rolleyes:

he campaigns tirelessly for human rights,

*cough* Guantanamo Bay?
    *cough* Patriot Act?
    *cough* Patriot Act II ? (proposed)
    *cough* T.I.A. ? (proposed)

he's a man of deep religious convictions

The religious are often the most fanatical and single-minded, unwilling to compromise with what they see as a 'divine decree from god' or some such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭[Iramus]

owned

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    Martin Luther King
    *fume*
    :mad:

Originally posted by Lemming
    The religious are often the most fanatical and single-minded, unwilling to compromise with what they see as a 'divine decree from god' or some such.
    and are often mistaken, in their take on what they base their beliefs.
    OBL for instance, on the other extreme.

I erm ..., was outside the CBS studio's in New York beside central park( could have been ABC) , last february and there was a crowd as they did an OB with the public during their breakfast programme.
    And they had a GWB look a like there shaking hands and taking photo's-man he was like a twin! Texan accent to boot.

I'm voting one of a kind or such like.
    mm

• Advertisement

Man,
    You're voting one-of-a-kind, even though you've seen more than one of him?
    :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Surely one Bush is already more than enough?

Heffner would probably disagree...

(sorry, couldn't help myself :D )

Man,
    You're voting one-of-a-kind, even though you've seen more than one of him?
    :D:p
    Gee, LoL, hadn't realised what I'd done..
    Maybe, that was the guy in the White house...
    A film springs to mind what was the name of it again??
    mm

"Dave"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Kaiser Wilhelm II

Their common qualities include:
    • Lacking Intellectually
    • Making brash comments (Chesse eating...etc)
    • Hated by many (Algericas in Williams case)
    • Trigger happy
    • Starting wars (Im not looking for a 18 page rebuttal on how Iraq doesnt count in this case, calm down)
    • Some would say Imperialist in Bushs' case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Reminds me most of Churchill actually - a dislikable individual who rises above himself and others expectations of him to defeat a terrible threat to the civillised world.

What terrible threat? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭QBall

What terrible threat? :rolleyes:

Oh, for the love of $GOD (or lack thereof), lets not start this again!

Do you deny that Saddam Hussein was (to borrow a phrase from Pulp Fiction) a "bad motherf*cker"?

Do you deny that the world (even if you restrict the "world" to the Middle East) is better off without him?

Do you honestly believe that Iraq is in a worse state now than it was 12 months ago?

Do you honestly believe that the prospects for the people of Iraq are worse now than they were 12 months ago?

In January we had a fool in Washington and a despot in Baghdad. Now we just have a fool in Washington. Is this an improvement or a disimprovement?

I'm not arguing that the ends justified the means, but in any case I'm donning my Nomex overalls in anticipation of the flaming.

Oh and to save you the trouble:
    1. Yes, yes, I know Bush is a f*ckwit
    2. No, we do not have a fool in Baghdad now. We have the lackey of a fool in Baghdad. He may have brains, give him a chance, regardless of his allegiances. Oh, and he's not there to stay either.
    3. IMHO it's irrelevant whether or not Saddam had WMDs. Bush was a fool for making WMDs the primary reason for going into Iraq. (See 1) Saddam was a dictator and had no business running a country. The fact that he was let stay in power for so long was shameful, not to mention the amount of arms he received from Russia, France, America and others.
    4. IMHO all dictators should be removed from power, preferably peacefully but if necesssary by force. Haven't we (as a planet) learned anything?

On topic:

Bush doesn't remind me of anyone well known. I've met plenty of people of his ilk before (and believe it or not I've actually talked to dumber people).

• Advertisement

Qball,
    None of that made SH a threat to anyone outside the borders of Iraq. Which is what Sand stated he was.

Advertisement