Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor repairs

• 21-05-2003 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I seem to be very unlucky with monitors. I currently have 3 of them that have got poor focusing/convergence, but were originally exceptional monitors. Anyone know where I can get them repaired? Is it possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Probably cheaper to just buy a new one.

By any chance do you have speakers/motors near by the monitors?

I know my one (~3 years old, 17" Acer 77e) has gone to shit lately and I blame my speakers for being so close (even though they are apparently shielded)

Elexes does monitor repairs, he'd be able to tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye i used to but work stoped repairing them since a small axident with a psu(everything went blue for a while ) so things like monitors/tv's psu's dont get fixed anymore . where do you live ? ill find the name of a place that can fix them for ya .but the quality lev wont be as good as they were in the start imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Actually now you mention it I have had (shielded) speakers close to them. That could be it. I also think the AC supply isn't the best in my house either. I did a monitor repaired once and it was only mediocre afterwards alright. I don't really like TFT's since I've never seen one that was as good a CRT for color. I'm using a TFT at work and I don't really like it. The size is great though. But getting a good CRT seems hard these days. Anyone know of any resonable offers going around lately? I'm kinda short on funds for a monitor upgrade too. Maybe I should just get a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

PSRA (aka Andromeda) in Bray do monitor repairs; I've found them pretty good in the past. Generally I'd say probably not cost effective these days, but if as you say these are excellent monitors, then it might be worth it.

TFTs have been improving recently - if your one at work is more than a year old, you might want to check out some new models.

Actually I spotted a 17" TFT with decent IQ and no dead pixels in a shop so I just bought it. Most of the ones I see around have dire IQ and dead pixels, and most places won't let you check 'em out before you buy so, I though this was an opportunity not to be missed. Especially since the price was ok. 15" are too small.

LCD Panel 17" ,Dot Pitch 0.264mm, Cont-Ratio 500:1, Brightness 250cd/m2, Response Time 20ms, Safe STD FCC-B, CE, UL, TüV, TCO99, ISO 13406-2. No DVI though.

I'd still like to get a least one of other monitors fixed since I know they are good quality and most cheapo monitors (the price of the repair) wouldn't come close. elexes I'm in D.15, so any info would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Adjust the contrast and brightness (usually dimmer) and see does the picture get crisper.

If it does then there is a good chance a simple adjustment on the LOPT will sort it out.
    If you try to adjust this yourself there is a good chance the LOPT will sort you out permenantly.

LOPT - line output transformer 36 Kill-O-Volts :(
    (yes that's 150 times mains voltage - so you would only get a kick about 22,500 times as bad as your std. ESB one)

Thanks I'll try that. On one of them the focus changes as the monitor heats up. You have to keep refocusing it, by fiddling with the convegence. Though the focus is different in different parts of the screen on that monitor so its probably not repairable. Still usable though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In general a monitor should be left on for at least half an hour before you adjust anything on it..

CRT's anyway...

Advertisement